Decided against Med School, now I am lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jman128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior majoring in biomedical sciences and was on my way to med school. I did tons of research and med school is just not for me. Its not that I don't find medicine interesting, its that being a doctor entails much more than liking science. Going through all that BS for years and years is just not my cup of tea.

With that, no other health care careers interest me like dentistry, etc. Plus, I am not really interested in research either.

I was always interested in the computer/gaming/entertainment/electronic… business. What can I do now? I can't just give up on my bachelors degree, I already worked so hard. Id have to do college all over again wouldn't I?

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but you're here asking pre-meds what careers you should consider if you want to do something outside of science/medicine? I don't think this is the best audience to give that sort of advice.

No offense, but you're here asking pre-meds what careers you should consider if you want to do something outside of science/medicine? I don't think this is the best audience to give that sort of advice.

I think you should think about what you really want to do, and go with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a junior majoring in biomedical sciences and was on my way to med school. I did tons of research and med school is just not for me. Its not that I don't find medicine interesting, its that being a doctor entails much more than liking science. Going through all that BS for years and years is just not my cup of tea.

With that, no other health care careers interest me like dentistry, etc. Plus, I am not really interested in research either.

I was always interested in the computer/gaming/entertainment/electronic… business. What can I do now? I can't just give up on my bachelors degree, I already worked so hard. Id have to do college all over again wouldn't I?

talk to career counselor, investigate different fields - volunteering, internships, networking with people in those fields (to find out about the fields). BLS have an occupational handbook... it's ok to be undecided, ur passion is out there and if you keep looking, u'll find it...

goodluck

Change your major and hope you can graduate in five years or less. That or double major/degree it.

I can't think of anyone else to turn to until I go back to school.

I just feel....stuck. If I was a freshman, I could just be like, "welp forget this" but I am a junior already. I already took organic chem, physics, etc.

And of course, trying to convince my parents that id like to do something else is driving me insane. Its hard to go from wanting to be a doctor to doing something "lesser". I know everyone here will say, "go follow your dream" but its not that simple.

I know this probably is not what you want to hear, but it is that simple... many people on this forum on non trads (myself included), and we have done different careers and then jumped back into medicine (which, btw, gets you a lot more "are you sure"'s from friends and family).

That being said, if you are a junior and curious about a career path, do what most juniors do and go to the career fair/counselor and find out about internships in that field. You can spend the summer trying it out and if you like it, you walk away with connections and potentially a job and if you don't, you know one less thing that you might want to pursue.

I also realize parents can be tough, but everyone reaches a point where they just have to ignore their parents wishes if its not what they want to do. Hopefully your parents will realize you've made a mature decision to not go into medicine and respect that. I don't know what they do, but they must acknowledge there are many other options in this life than just medicine and should not be so short-sighted to think medicine is the "best" possible career, especially for someone who knows they are no longer interested in it.

Finally, if you think you like gaming, taking a computer science class. Even if it has NOTHING to do w/ gaming, talk to the professor and tell him your interest, see if he knows anyone. Never underestimate the power of talking to people. You can even talk to professors who you haven't taken classes with but are interested in their fields. Just keep your options open. Don't stress, its way too early in life to be "set" on your career path.

The%20Call%20to%20Duty-Join%20the%20Army.jpg

Follow through with your major, I would say. You came too far.

I don't know why people would tell you not to post this in a pre-med forum; I'm actually happy to see something like this because I am in a similar situation and decided to ditch the whole med school thing (and not because of being under qualified).

The good news for you is that - having ditched med school - there are really a load of different career options for you. The other good news is that you are still early enough to catch the second wave of internship applications for summer 2010.

I wouldn't worry about what your degree is; I think you will find that in the "real world" your specific degree doesn't really matter that much. With a science degree (and a good resume), you can get all sorts of jobs - obviously jobs in healthcare or pharmaceutical companies would be the most obvious, but things like consulting, trading, finance, etc are not out of the question either. Those kinds of firms recruit people from all sorts of backgrounds.

So my point is, don't get too wrapped up regarding what degree you are getting; if you have research experience and a great resume, then no one really cares once you are sitting in front of them in an interview.

So I guess what you have to do now is just think about what other careers might interest you, and then apply to a bunch of different firms for internships during 2010. As someone pointed you - maybe you will enjoy your internship, make good connections, and it will lead to a job. Or alternatively maybe you will hate it and then you will know something you dont want to do.

If you have no inkling of an idea regarding what type of career would interest you, then just apply to all sorts of different firms and see what opportunities pop up for you and go with the flow.

I think a lot of people get too tied up in the specifics of what major they are doing or what field they are going to. In reality most people in the working world do much the same thing (ie sitting in front of computers) and find their jobs only mildly interesting (this includes most doctors too). So the specifics don't matter too much. You just want a job that maximizes your money:hours ratio, since you live your life during your free time anyway.

I hope this helpful/encouraging in someway; just realize that you have a lot of options.

1. Go into HIIT.
2. Write the best appointments / records / charting system EVER.
3. Sell it to GE.
4. ???
5. Profit!

Biomedical science + premed nonsense = some actual idea of what might be useful.

Comp sci interest = the skill to pull it off.

BMS major + CompSci major = at least entry level.

Dont be discouraged and remember everyone makes a mistake. Although your mistake may cost you a few more years in college, remember that at the end of the day you want a job that is self-fulfilling and you are passionate about. If medicine didnt supply that you have a whole host of options. Good luck!

MBA programs, law schools, start pursuing a second degree, ITT tech? Talk to a career advisor and not a bunch of pre-meds?

Members don't see this ad :)
MBA programs, law schools, start pursuing a second degree, ITT tech? Talk to a career advisor and not a bunch of pre-meds?

Why waste so much time and money? MBAs are a dime a dozen, lawyers can't get jobs, ITT is a joke.

And of course, trying to convince my parents that id like to do something else is driving me insane. Its hard to go from wanting to be a doctor to doing something "lesser". I know everyone here will say, "go follow your dream" but its not that simple.

until you drop that attitude, you won't get anywhere.

Why waste so much time and money? MBAs are a dime a dozen, lawyers can't get jobs, ITT is a joke.

MBA - usually a 10k salary increase.. + a biomedical degree might mean he can go into the business of biomedical equipment and what ever...
ITT - yah.. with a bachelors in heavy science... and get paid like 30k a year..
lawyers - if you got to a top 10 and have the ability to get a point across.. it'll get you some cash..

to the OP
i've also worried about if medicine is right for me..

medicine is hard work.. people are horrible and annoying.. and tend to be rough..
but guess what..
the first maybe.. 10 to 20 years will be hard work..
you've got to make a name for yourself and your practice..
after that..
you can probably get away doing 40 hours a week and still make as much as you were making your first few years working 60+
hours.
why? because depending on what speciality you go into.. you'll eventually have a name.., if you go into family medicine you'll probably be dealing with a similar crowd of people, which you can talk to on a very light level like with my family physician.
and if you dont like that.. aim for a life style speciality.. i.e up-roade
pathology might be a good one for you.. as you can get away with less work..

in my mind.. i look at other work..
theres job insecurity...
theres still a lot of work.. research sometimes + the 40 conventional hours.

dont give up on medicine just because your afraid of work..
because every other high powered job entails similar work amounts the first few years..

Last edited:
until you drop that attitude, you won't get anywhere.

thats not my attitude, thats the attitude of others

Even though i try not to consider how others think, its hard not to ignore people. You don't know what it good advice or bad advice.

Follow through with your major, I would say. You came too far.

Exactly. You don't need to get a job that is correlated with your major. Many employers just care about whether you have a degree or not, and how well you did.

You should take some time to examine what you might want to do. You can go to grad school in an unrelated subject from which you majored in; so that's another option.

thats not my attitude, thats the attitude of others

Even though i try not to consider how others think, its hard not to ignore people. You don't know what it good advice or bad advice.

you should do what makes you happy. not what you think other people think is prestigious/"higher"/whatever.

i have met a lot of doctors who have all but tried to dissuade me from going into the field. it is definitely not universally seen to be a good job.

figure out what general field you like (science? humanities?) go from there. check out your career center.

I don't know why people would tell you not to post this in a pre-med forum

I think they are saying that because this forum(entire SDN) is for pre-health students, health professionals, and so on, etc. If he doesn't want to go into healthcare, technically he shouldnt be posting here since he has no interst in the field. Unless he posts in the All Students forum.

I think they are saying that because this forum(entire SDN) is for pre-health students, health professionals, and so on, etc. If he doesn't want to go into healthcare, technically he shouldnt be posting here since he has no interst in the field. Unless he posts in the All Students forum.

I just don't even see the point in saying something like that or what you said, which contribute nothing whatsoever, that's all.

Okay the people telling you that it will cost you 3 years in college or that you need to get another degree are out of control. Newsflash, you can get a job with a decent college degree. You don't need all of this dramatic "well it will cost you three more years" bullcrap. Just get a job and live like a normal person, no need to waste time or money. And - for the record - you can't just walk into MBA programs after undergrad, you need to have some 3-5 years of work experience first.

Also - kind of unrelated - but just a question that always interests me (and a reason that I decided to get away from the pre-med thing):

medicine is hard work.. people are horrible and annoying.. and tend to be rough..
but guess what..
the first maybe.. 10 to 20 years will be hard work..
you've got to make a name for yourself and your practice..
after that..
you can probably get away doing 40 hours a week and still make as much as you were making your first few years working 60+

That all sounds great, but is it really worth it to you to blow off your entire youth working you ass off just for job security when you are age 40+? Maybe I just don't have a mature-enough personality to want to make that sacrifice. Which is why it's good that I changed my mind, haha.

Ok, you didn't understand any of what I was trying to explain. Whatever.

I just don't even see the point in saying something like that or what you said, which contribute nothing whatsoever, that's all.

Okay the people telling you that it will cost you 3 years in college or that you need to get another degree are out of control. Newsflash, you can get a job with a decent college degree. You don't need all of this dramatic "well it will cost you three more years" bullcrap. Just get a job and live like a normal person, no need to waste time or money. And - for the record - you can't just walk into MBA programs after undergrad, you need to have some 3-5 years of work experience first.

Also - kind of unrelated - but just a question that always interests me (and a reason that I decided to get away from the pre-med thing):

That all sounds great, but is it really worth it to you to blow off your entire youth working you ass off just for job security when you are age 40+? Maybe I just don't have a mature-enough personality to want to make that sacrifice. Which is why it's good that I changed my mind, haha.

well.. i've always considered doing a degree in psych..
but either way i need a ph.d in that.. so until im.. 27 im still studying.. and then by age 28 i can go work at a university make 50k a year and work 40 hours a year and **** my voice box up..
not to mention i'd then need to do another few hours a day doing research.. of which i sincerely dislike..
i can get a b.a/ m.a in engineering... i.e endure massive torture doing intensive math and physics and blah blah blah things that really dont interest me at all.. i'd make 80k a year maybe..

for me personally its all the same.. i know i would never manage in engineering...
so i think medicine and getting into a up-roade speciality i'll be comfortably doing 50 hours a week for 4 to 10 years and afterwords i can do probably 30 hours a week..

what field of medicine were you interested in? There may be other paths to take (ie - go anesth. assistant instead of aneshesiologist)...less of a time commitment/"BS"

I graduated college with a 3.85 GPA. I went to work for a local clinic after college. They are laying a few people off because of the govnerment did away with consultation codes. So, the small clinic I work for is losing close to $200k/year. I worked in a hospital when I was in college. I loved the field of medicine before college and during college. Now I am leaving the healthcare field. I am in the process of starting a few businesses.

So, leaving the field of medicine isn't as uncommon as people may think.

ppl do leave medicine.. most cases because they arent getting paid enough and work too much as it is..
as is the case of primary care..
or like ob/gyn who are so tired of getting sued they cant take it..

You could probably finish a computer science degree with an extra year/year and half tacked on. Pays 60k+ out of undergrad.

You can always go back after you finished your degree. I now alot of people that already graduated (Diff types of degree) from 4year and went back to a CC or 4year again to do Nursing. It only takes a year since your already done with your gen ed. But since you work hard for it, maybe try it? do some shadowing and if you dont like the lifestyle, do what you have to do. Follow your heart! lol.

I'm interested in human genetics. I'm not really going to "leave," but I am going to go about my goals and dreams in a different manner. I'm starting a bunch of businesses, a venture firm, angle firm, starting real estate and a bunch of other stuff to make hundreds of millions of dollars. THis way I can fund basic science research myself. I don't want to keep working at the whim of a boss and being a government slave. So, that is how I am going about my dreams and goals now.

umm..
Human genetics is probably a Ph.d or at least master degree field..
and frankly..
you'll need major funding..
most genetics workers will be working under the government at NIH or maybe another company.. for a long while.. until they can start there own work..
if you actually think you'll be able to start your own company in such a field without working under some NIH tool for at least a year..

and with the firms.. where are you going to pull all this money out of..
i mean again.. you have no name.. why am i going to go to your business when i can go to a business with massive experience..
the thing that irritates me is that people think that if they have a major they'll get a easy road towards a high paying job. no.. you'll work your ass off for 10 years and after amassing enough money and gaining experience and a moderate name for yourself.. you can then start a business..

the reason why i go into medicine is because of this!
all other fields require working your ass off.. your still going to be working a lot of your time to make a name for yourself and a resume..
while i'll go into medicine and have great job security and can easily open up a practice very easily and realistically i wouldn't really have much economic problems because i'd have enough cash from working at a hospital for 2 years or so...

Last edited:
you can always go PA/Nursing/pharm

all of which require the OP to work hard..
pharmacy = bad hours ... standing up.. and counting pills..
if he's complaining about dealing with people.. not the best field for him
nursing = him working for another 3 years min...
PA = again.. i think he's simply not a people person.. and isnt going to be good working in that type of environment..

my opinion..
he doesnt want a medical career..
and he's not interested in research..

get a masters in FORENSICs

Finish up you degree. Then find a job that interests you that just requires a degree, not a specific type of degree. I'm sure there are plenty of internships in those industries you mentioned that wouldn't mind what your degree was in, as long as you had one and you were good at the job.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/14/new...ors_quitting/index.htm?postversion=2009093015

The best advice I can give is to talk to a variety of professionals. Every career has its pros and cons. If there's a perfect career out there, everybody would've jumped on it already. It's what YOU make out. What you need to do is to get out and learn not only about your options, but learn about yourself as well. I agree with the suggestion of getting an internship :thumbup:

Thanks a lot guys for the comments and Id like to hear more responses.

In regards to not wanting to go to medical school, its not really about working hard. I know I have to work hard regardless. I work hard now, so thats not really an issue. Its just that, will all that hard work reach an end that I am happy with?

I find disease, the human body, etc interesting, but not like mind blowing. Theres more than that in becoming and practicing as a doctor and I am incredibly unsure if id be able to handle such a massively long and stressful road. Being trapped by debt, working long hours, dealing with people's lives etc. Right now in college, I am not what I would say depressed, but im not really happy. Med school would definitely not help me in that area.

I have a 3.8 gpa so far. People will tell me, "oh you are so smart, how can you not go to med school?" The only reason why I have that is because I am a good student. In a class, it doesnt matter if I like or hate the material since I want to do well in it regardless. I have that type of drive. But now, I am at the point where its like, "What do I want to do with my life?" A good gpa and good work ethic doesnt tell me that.

Oh and for people saying be a nurse: I honestly have no interest in the nursing field.

For people saying be a PA: I would have to work and gain experience anyway (since they put experience over grades) which would take time and PA schools have waaay less seats than med schools. By the time id have a good resume it would have made more sense just to go to med school. Which defeats the purpose. PA for me, and I am sure I am wrong in many cases, seems to be for people who want to be a doctor but under their circumstances (not education wise) cannot afford med school in terms of time and money.

For that guy who said forensics: Forensics is cool but forensic scientists hardly make half of what id like to make. (Though, Id trade my life in for the life of Dexter any day, without the killing of course)

I don't want to sound selfish ( ask anyone who knows me I am the complete opposite). I do like to help people, but in the long run, I come first. My issue is finding out what Id like to do and make decent money.

(Though, Id trade my life in for the life of Dexter any day, without the killing of course)

This cracked me up.

But seriously dude, my advice would be to do what you like and the rest will follow. Take a little time to find yourself after college and go from there. Don't just jump into something else on a whim, which is what a lot of people tend to do in your situation.

Assuming you are a traditional student, you have more than enough time to figure this out. What is the rush?

EDIT: http://www.wois.org/ This is a good career site. You need an entry code for it though. PM me and I will give it to you.

I cannot believe I just read through this entire thread...

In 10 years come back and read your drivel.

Alright.. you said im going to start my own companies
i ridicule this notion because know one knows you.. every business man knows that you need experience prior to starting a business
NIH, i worked there for nearly 3 months last summer along with people doing genetics research and guess what.. i asked them why they arent doing other things with there degree.. the answer : not enough money, and i dont have a idea of which to start a company on. because hey.. you need a product/research topic.
so thank you very much i know what im talking about..

and your attempt to go into business is pitifully blind.. why the hell am i going to go to your firm? when i can go to another firm with 20+ years of experience.. and actually get my moneys worth. why would i be interested in going to a firm with a name that i've never heard? i'd think that it must be some cheat branch off of walmart. because thats what it is.. you'll be cheap.
so please dont be so naive as to think that your game plan is going to get you into a the golden path to lives glory.
to get to the good part your going to work your ass off anyway for at least 10 years.

and w,e go ahead and start your companies...
i promise you you'll go bankrupt within a month

and really i'll be very frank..
my 170k will be much higher then your 30k a year
i frankly i dont mind working hard.. and the government if they do things to get in the way i'll move on to the private industry the government i can tell you as of now is so disorganized on this top by the time im a doctor in 2017 they will likely have repealed obama's work.

Last edited:

Theres more than that in becoming and practicing as a doctor and I am incredibly unsure if id be able to handle such a massively long and stressful road. Being trapped by debt, working long hours, dealing with people's lives etc. Right now in college, I am not what I would say depressed, but im not really happy. Med school would definitely not help me in that area.

For that guy who said forensics: Forensics is cool but forensic scientists hardly make half of what id like to make. (Though, Id trade my life in for the life of Dexter any day, without the killing of course)

I don't want to sound selfish ( ask anyone who knows me I am the complete opposite). I do like to help people, but in the long run, I come first. My issue is finding out what Id like to do and make decent money.

It sounds like you've got some qualifications for your ideal job. I'll list them here for clarification:

1) Something you like
2) Something that pays well (Seems like $100K after 5-10 years is your minimum.)
3) No additional student loan debt after education
4) Don't need to work tons of hours
5) Low to medium stress (You mention not dealing with others' lives which is stressful for you.)

The thing is, there are very, very few jobs that match even 3 or 4 of your criteria. Here's my list of jobs that I can think of off the top of my head. As with all of life, you'll have to comprise depending on which of these are most important to you. These are in no particular order:

1) Lawyer dealing with pharma issues, medical malpratice, or maybe legality of other cutting edge medical stuff. (Breaks: #3 & 4, maybe 5, depending on what you consider stressful.)
2) MBA in a medium-size biotech or pharma firm. (Breaks: #3 (most MBAs are expensive), probably #4, and possibly #5)
3) Dentist. (I know you shot this down at the get-go, so it probably breaks #1. It also breaks #3.)
4) Forensic scientist (You feel this breaks #2, but I don't necessarily think so. If you become a medical director of an organization, or maybe get good contacts with lawyers (and do lots of trial testimony).) Otherwise, it seems like the best fit.
5) CRNA or AA. Both make very good money for the educational commitments. You'll probably break #3, and the job is certainly stressful sometimes, but overall, it's a pretty good way to as you've always got anesthesiologists backing you up in times of trouble.
6) Go to grad school in some science-related area, and put off the whole decision for 2-6 more years. Funding (i.e. RA or TA positions) in the hard sciences is pretty easy to come by (at least by comparison to areas like history and english), so you could actually get paid to continue your education. Granted, it's a pittance, but I never felt like I was going hungry or anything.
7) (6) leads to: A professor (This probably breaks #2 (though you'd be close at a research institution if you pull in multiple grants), and may break #4 & 5 as you fight for tenure, but after that you're looking at a solid job with major job security. This one might break #1 if you don't like research though.)

Well, that's my list. I'm totally out of ideas. There are scientists of many varieties, but if you don't want to do research and want to earn big bucks, you'll be hard pressed to find something you like there. You probably need to realize that you're very, very unlikely to find all of your qualifications, especially considering your high earning requirement. Not to be patronizing, but doctor-money is really, really high, and you're not likely to find that level of money in any other career without even longer hours and more sacrifice than what doctor goes through. The average lawyer and the average MBA/businessperson make nothing close to $200K/yr., so to put that up a figure like that as a pre-req pretty much eliminates 98% of the jobs in the US, if not more.

Hey OP, if you're stuck in that situation and possibly looking to change your options...

I suggest you get an MBA (after studying for your GMAT :)) after getting your bachelors and then you can go from there :) There's a program at my School for people who just got out of science related bachelors degrees with no work experience...to get an MBA:

google "Pathfinder MBA RPI"

I hope that helps :)

This cracked me up.

But seriously dude, my advice would be to do what you like and the rest will follow. Take a little time to find yourself after college and go from there. Don't just jump into something else on a whim, which is what a lot of people tend to do in your situation.

Assuming you are a traditional student, you have more than enough time to figure this out. What is the rush?

EDIT: http://www.wois.org/ This is a good career site. You need an entry code for it though. PM me and I will give it to you.

Quoted for agreement.
Definitely take some time after college to figure things out. That said, it's worth considering that every career has its ups and downs. You mentioned you were interested in the computer/entertainment/gaming field, and I'd recommend giving that a try. But as someone who's worked in the film/animation industry for a few years I have to tell you that it can be a lot less glamorous than it looks, and has more than its own share of trade-offs. (Job security? Independence? Uh-uh.)
But I have friends that love working in games or features. Go spend your early twenties pursuing some dreams--if it's everything you hoped, fantastic. If they turn out to be unrealistic fantasies, you can always apply to med school as a 28 year old without the doubts and second thoughts.
Good luck.

In regards to not wanting to go to medical school, its not really about working hard. I know I have to work hard regardless. I work hard now, so thats not really an issue. Its just that, will all that hard work reach an end that I am happy with?

I find disease, the human body, etc interesting, but not like mind blowing.
Theres more than that in becoming and practicing as a doctor and I am incredibly unsure if id be able to handle such a massively long and stressful road. Being trapped by debt, working long hours, dealing with people's lives etc. Right now in college, I am not what I would say depressed, but im not really happy. Med school would definitely not help me in that area.

I have a 3.8 gpa so far. People will tell me, "oh you are so smart, how can you not go to med school?" The only reason why I have that is because I am a good student. In a class, it doesnt matter if I like or hate the material since I want to do well in it regardless. I have that type of drive. But now, I am at the point where its like, "What do I want to do with my life?" A good gpa and good work ethic doesnt tell me that.

Oh and for people saying be a nurse: I honestly have no interest in the nursing field.

For people saying be a PA: I would have to work and gain experience anyway (since they put experience over grades) which would take time and PA schools have waaay less seats than med schools. By the time id have a good resume it would have made more sense just to go to med school. Which defeats the purpose. PA for me, and I am sure I am wrong in many cases, seems to be for people who want to be a doctor but under their circumstances (not education wise) cannot afford med school in terms of time and money.

It's scary how much this post sounds like me (minus the Forensics, I coudln't do that). I really feel that this isn't what I want anymore. With the upcoming changes to medicine, the extensive training, and the fact that the "it will be better in the end" may not actually be better makes this a hard pill to swallow nowadays. I'm in my senior year with a useless degree and no other skills outside medicine. I'm debating law, I'm debating dental, but both suck almost as bad as medicine just in different ways. I'd love to be a chef or make music, but neither of those are really realistic careers. Everyone tells me how good I am at science (I've breezed through every anatomy, biology, biochem class I've taken) how could I NOT be a doctor? Yea, I keep asking myself that same question. :(

I know right? People don't understand that there is more to being a doctor than liking science.

Heck, I am proof of that. Look at how far I cam until I decided against it.

Look I would love to be a doctor if it wasn't for all the other **** that comes with it. That stuff turns me off medicine way more than the stuff that I like about medicine.

I know right? People don't understand that there is more to being a doctor than liking science.

Heck, I am proof of that. Look at how far I cam until I decided against it.

Look I would love to be a doctor if it wasn't for all the other **** that comes with it. That stuff turns me off medicine way more than the stuff that I like about medicine.

Haha, qft. It's nice to see there's others in my same mental predicament.

Yea, nobody is successful with an MBA.

Lol, MBAs often require 2 years of work experience after the undergraduate degree too. My parents are MBAs and I've always had clothes on my back, a roof, and food to eat. MBAs ftw! (btw, I did get your sarcasm there :))

Private industry in the healthcare field? That will no longer be around. The government is already taking that away. Small private clinics will be getting fines every year that they don't join a larger clinic/hospital. So, your dream and ignorance is buring you into six feet under ground.

You may want to take a business course (just start with business 101). Then start to learn how the economy works. Just start from there.

more power to ya dude..
like... living long and prosper

It's scary how much this post sounds like me (minus the Forensics, I coudln't do that). I really feel that this isn't what I want anymore. With the upcoming changes to medicine, the extensive training, and the fact that the "it will be better in the end" may not actually be better makes this a hard pill to swallow nowadays. I'm in my senior year with a useless degree and no other skills outside medicine. I'm debating law, I'm debating dental, but both suck almost as bad as medicine just in different ways. I'd love to be a chef or make music, but neither of those are really realistic careers. Everyone tells me how good I am at science (I've breezed through every anatomy, biology, biochem class I've taken) how could I NOT be a doctor? Yea, I keep asking myself that same question. :(

which is why i more or less am happy that i took a major in psychology..
i actually am debating forensic's myself.. more or less because its a government job..

but yah... i cant say im very sure about medicine myself..
my mother honestly talked to me about how she's worried that i'll have a suckish life..
which is why depending on how this crap all turns out..
if it goes wrong... well i'll teach.. and to hell with it.. being a teacher maybe teach psychology and social sciences or something..
im debating dental if medicine becomes crap..

im very happy to say im 17.. im not supposed to be in college per-say until.. 18. i skiped 12th grade btw.
so frankly if medicine fails.. i have alternatives..

if i were in your place..
i'd basically wait it out.. and see if medicine fails..
if it does..
go into dental.

"So clueless. So clueless. Do you know Microsoft was started by a person that had no "professional" training? Did you know that Donald Trump started all of his real estate with no experience? My oh my."

As inflammatory as you're being (and as annoyed as I am with your red type), I must agree with this. Undergrad is more about developing yourself as an adult and less about developing your skill set (in general)...it's not like undergrad is an apprenticeship or something.

I have a friend who majored in French and landed a job at a top financial firm in NYC. She's doing quite well for herself.

I'd say finish out your major...tack on another major if you can get enough courses to double count for it to make it worth your while, and go for what you want. Your family may not be as happy, but you'll be much happier in the end after your life of doing the work you want to do. In the end, I'll bet that happiness will transfer to your family.

Nice. As the quintessential non-trad student, I really like hearing from those who are totally honest with themselves. I'm assuming that you've already spent time shadowing, volunteering, or you know enough people in the medical field to know that it's not for you? I only ask because the pre-med track is not necessarily any indication of how you'll feel about medicine. But you probably have done your research, so to speak.

What DO you love? Or what is interesting enough to you so far that you don't have to fight to keep your eyes open during a class or assigned reading? I haven't read beyond the first few responses, so I don't know what you or others have said so far.

I applaud your honesty. I wish more people who were as honest about their true desires would actually pursue medicine. In my undergraduate experience (after 10 years in the field), I would venture to say that 80% of undergrads are pursuing medicine in a way that is best described as hollow and superficial. I have more respect for those with 3.3 GPA's and a 29 on the MCAT than I do for the high-achieving undergrad who is here for all the wrong reasons: pushed into it by parents, sounds like it's respectable, wants admiration, good salary, you name it. It's all wrong, and inaccurate, anyway, unless you really WANT and CAN be the next big name in plastic surgery or a top-rated cardiothoracic surgeon who doesn't even need to accept insurance.

Of course, I'm exaggerating. Plenty of people make great money in medicine. But plenty of people make great money in law, politics, art, and business. Money should not be the deciding factor.

This is my own rant, and not what you asked. So what do you want? Maybe I can point you in the right direction. Whatever it is, you'll probably be great at it because you are so honest with yourself. It's an unfortunate reality that many people don't question what they really want, and instead pursue what they perceive as inevitable.