Decided on medcine late in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior, but I decided on medicine late in my sophomore year. I applied to colleges as a chemical engineering major, changed to pre-pharmacy at orientation and hated it. I changed my major to biomedical engineering at the beginning of sophomore year and I really enjoy it. Over the last winter break, I went on a public health trip, mostly for fun with my friends, but I ended up volunteering at a clinic for a week and realizing it was my calling.
Right now, my cGPA is around 3.7 and my sGPA is 3.9. I've taken all the pre-reqs and I've been doing research since the beginning of sophomore year, but I haven't done any real volunteering or much shadowing. I signed up to volunteer at a local hospital last semester, but I was taking 20 credits and working so I didn't have time. I'm only taking 14 credits next semester and I already signed up to volunteer 5 hours/week, but I'm not sure if this will be "enough" if I want to apply next year. I've only shadowed for around 10 hours, so I'll try to get more hours in during the semester. Is there any way that I could stress the fact that I decided late to make up for my low number of clinical volunteering hours? Or anything else I can to strengthen my application in the next year?
Applying in the spring of my senior year would be ideal, but I have loans and I wouldn't want to put my life on pause for a year. Either way, I really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Write it in your PS/secondary (if applicable). Adcoms will most likely notice that you changed to premed with classes on your transcript. Just keep at the volunteering and if you can, volunteer more during the summer.

There isn't a "golden amount of hours" for shadowing, research, etc. but if you want to seem like you're real about medical school, keep volunteering and shadowing throughout college. Also, if you're like me with no one in the family with physicians, talk to the volunteer coordinator (if in a clinical setting) if you could shadow a physician/if he or she knows any physicians that let premeds shadow for a few days/weeks.