Deciding Between Drexel IHS Program versus Mississippi College Graduate Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drexel IHS versus Mississippi College Medical Science Graduate Program?

• Mississippi College

• Drexel

Results are only viewable after voting.

FutureDoctor125

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a Colorado resident who was recently accepted into both of these programs and am really having a difficult time deciding. I am hoping that current or former students (or any one else with educated perspective) could offer their input. I have a 3.6 gpa, 3.25 BCPM gpa and 495 MCAT (retaking in July). I am not only attempting to improve myself as a med school candidate, but am looking to build better studying skills and foundational knowledge for once I am accepted. I was waitlisted for my top choice in the Duke MBS program before they informed me there were no available positions. I really prefer a one year option as graduate school is a means and not an end in the grand scheme of med school.

Drexel: I initially applied to the IMS and DPMS program but received the all too common "second best offer" of the IHS program. It appears to allow freedom to build a unique course schedule with the allure of the conditional IMS transition to medical school courses the 2nd year which is appealing. But, Drexel provides extremely limited info about the program and courses. The person that interviewed me was a former student and implied himself that the program was disorganized with weak administrative support. This program is appealing due to the affiliation with DUCOM (no guaranteed admission/interview though), but it is extremely pricey (~$60,000 for 2 years) and questionable based on numerous other comments and reviews.

http://www.drexel.edu/medicine/Academics/Graduate-School/Interdisciplinary-Health-Sciences/

Mississippi College: I like the first year medical school level courses offered that allow for the same shelf exams med students take to provide a gauge of preparedness. The fact that this program is one year (~$21,000) is very appealing and the staff/advising seems very supportive and responsive. The graduates seem to be very biased towards entering MS and LA medical schools. They provide a good deal of info on the website about courses, former graduate matriculation, faculty, etc. I had not heard about this program before and was curious about it's reputation as a less well known program.

http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/graduate-programs/biology-ms/medical-sciences/

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.