Deciding Between Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTHopeful921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else is having a difficult time deciding between what schools they want to attend? If you have any advice on how you made your decision I would really like to hear about it- but not the "go with the cheaper school" or "look at the NPTE pass rates", Ive heard those plenty of times on here. Just curious as I am currently having to decide between which school I want to attend, and have to make a decision rather soon...

Members don't see this ad.

What did you think of the program after your visits to each school? Each school I visited had a distinct vibe, in terms of espoused faculty engagement, current students' attitudes, and the program's building(s) and other physical resources. I found that a couple weeks after my initial visit, the positive "they want me!" sheen wore off and I was able to take a more objective look.

Ultimately, I eliminated schools based on geographical location and then went with the cheaper tuition school (which, luckily, was the one I got the best "vibe" from).

That sounded awfully like a "go to the cheaper school" answer. So... one or two schools must be less appealing than the rest; tell those schools that you decline. Then filter your list using other variables (close to home, city versus suburb, nicer facilities, laid back faculty, school prestige, etc.) and if you end up with two at the end, why not go cheap?

I think Kman gives some great advice there. Ultimately this is 3 years of your life and I highly recommend deciding on the school you believe will have the biggest impact on you. That means you're comfortable there and you feel confident you will have the best experience there. (Obviously there's more to both of those than just academics so keep that in mind).

Good luck!