Deciding: UTMB vs. TWU-Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmh2639

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calling all past/current ot students at UTMB and TWU-Houston!! What made you pick your program? What opinions do you have about your programs/lifestyle? I understand that both programs are changing a bit in their curriculum (like I heard UTMB is adjusting the amount of hours taken each semester, and a student I talked to during my interview at TWU said she just took a cadaver class, which surprised me since I was under the impression that TWU didn't offer any kind of cadaver/gross anatomy course). I've also heard that since TWU is more research based that they aren't "as prepared" when they start doing fieldwork. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Calling all past/current ot students at UTMB and TWU-Houston!! What made you pick your program? What opinions do you have about your programs/lifestyle? I understand that both programs are changing a bit in their curriculum (like I heard UTMB is adjusting the amount of hours taken each semester, and a student I talked to during my interview at TWU said she just took a cadaver class, which surprised me since I was under the impression that TWU didn't offer any kind of cadaver/gross anatomy course). I've also heard that since TWU is more research based that they aren't "as prepared" when they start doing fieldwork. Any thoughts?

I would assume the "not as prepared" would be more of a personal issue versus a school issue. Consider the course load,price,proximity, location and possible career path (i.e what you want to focus on). UTMB is a "faster" program with the same amount of hours just completed quicker. So it could be deemed harder. TWU is located in the Texas Medical Center which is a huge asset for experience and networking. Either way whatever choice you make will be the correct one. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat as you! I've been accepted to TWU-Dallas and UTMB and am trying to make a decision. I have also heard that TWU is more research-based and does not have gross anatomy. However, I really like the Dallas/Fort Worth area and am not a huge fan of Galveston from what I've seen. I thought the faculty at TWU seemed very inviting and I really liked the atmosphere, but I worry that choosing TWU would not be choosing the best school. Any opinions/advice would be very appreciated!

TWU! Gotta love the medical center it's sitting it!

I am also trying to decide between TWU Dallas and UTMB. I have also heard TWU is very research based but when I asked a current student during my interview day they said that they do plenty of hands on things as well as backing it up with research.
My main issue is cost of living...Of course Dallas is going to be more expensive but is their program going to better prepare me to be an OT? Or could I get an equal or better education at UTMB and pay $100-$200 less a month for living. Decisions decisions.

I also think it is important to make note that UTMB's program would be done sooner than TWU's. So graduates from UTMB will hit the job pool first. Just a thought.

Wow thats really something to consider. 2yrs and 2.5yrs is a big difference.

I also think it is important to make note that UTMB's program would be done sooner than TWU's. So graduates from UTMB will hit the job pool first. Just a thought.

TWU is an extra summer semester because they don't have Friday classes, whereas UTMB does. That combined with UTMB's condensed curriculum equals a faster program, which may or may not be good depending on your learning style. And from what I remember from what students said at the interview, they don't necessarily get into the job market sooner, they just have more time to study for the certification test that everyone will take at the same time essentially.

I double checked with the TWU people and they still say there is no cadaver class offered except for the nursing program, so I have no idea what class the OT student I spoke to was taking.

TWU is an extra summer semester because they don't have Friday classes, whereas UTMB does. That combined with UTMB's condensed curriculum equals a faster program, which may or may not be good depending on your learning style. And from what I remember from what students said at the interview, they don't necessarily get into the job market sooner, they just have more time to study for the certification test that everyone will take at the same time essentially.

I double checked with the TWU people and they still say there is no cadaver class offered except for the nursing program, so I have no idea what class the OT student I spoke to was taking.

TWU Houston offers an Upper Extremity Anatomy elective with cadavers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
This message is for all those who have been accepted to TWU Houston. Will anyone be needing a roommate? i am a female and will definitely be needing a roomate since i have to move from Dallas to Houston. If anyone is interested, please send me a personal message so we can ascertain if we will be a good roommate match.
Thanks.

UTMB fieldwork is completed by July and students are eligible to sit for NBCOT by August where TWU students are not able to until December. NBCOT is offered 2-3 times every month so essentially UTMB students get a good few months head start on the certification and job market.

Hi! This is a little irrelevant to your post. But I am a sophomore at TWU denton and want to go to OT school as well. UTMB and TWU are my top choices. Would you mind sharing your stats? Overall GPA, Pre req GPA, Major, & Volunteer hours? It'll help me get a good grip of what I where I should stand. Thank you! :)

Ugh you guys it is driving me crazy waiting to hear from UTMB! Interviewed March 1, hoping they tell us this Friday at the 2 week mark instead of having to wait another week! :scared:

I'm feeling exactly the same way! I hope they tell us this Friday 'cause I want to know what and where I'll be the next two years! I wish all of us waiting would just go to a happy hr and ease the anxiety lol
Good luck to you!

I'm feeling exactly the same way! I hope they tell us this Friday 'cause I want to know what and where I'll be the next two years! I wish all of us waiting would just go to a happy hr and ease the anxiety lol
Good luck to you!
Happy hour would be awesome! Just checked on the website and it is their spring break so I'm thinking we're going to be tortured another week...

Ughhhhhh! This sucks =\
Did you apply anywhere else? I did but this is kind of my top choice. For so many reasons! It would be GREAT to go here! But, at the end of the day, just going to OT school is the best thing that will happen :)

No I didn't finish anatomy until this December so utmb was the only one I could apply to. Even If I could've applied other places it's my top choice. Have you been accepted to the other schools? At least we only have one more week to wait!

Yes :) I was accepted at anothet school. Still hoping to go to my dream school (UTMB) but it feels great already to know I'll be starting my master's this year.