Decision Criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KTpsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya! I'm a long time lurker, who has finally delurked. I have two wonderful acceptances, and I am trying to figure out how to decide (I know, I know, I need to do it quickly). What criteria have other people used? What is really important to you? Both the schools have good and bad things, and I am trying to figure out which criteria are the most important. I thought I would post, and see if anyone has any good ideas about things to think about

Note: I am hard-core research, if that helps guide any

Department Factors
-Department requirements
-Internship placements
-Available Practicum
-Social Support among grad students

Mentor Factors
-Relationship with mentor (personal and professional)
-Publication rates (self, students)
-Match of interests
-Willingness to promote grad students (at conferences, etc).

Other
-SO, family

Any I forgot? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

-Available grant funding
-History of students obtaining F31s

The first is more vital than the latter, but the latter is obviously a huge bonus

I was offered interviews at 3 schools that had the concentration I wanted. Three other schools had profs doing research that matched, but not the concentration. So, I would have been much more competitive for internship and post-doc fellowship if I had that concentration. So, once I narrowed it down to those 3 - I compared funding packages, cost of living, and support of mentor and fellow grad students.