Decision to Make...need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blitzace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am just in the processing of applying to a DPT(7 year program) but im applying as a transfer student since i finished most of my pre-reqs at a community college. My question is...is it better for me to apply to another college and complete my bachelors and then apply to a physical therapy program or does that not really make a difference. I only have an associates degree right now and im not sure what to expect once i graduate from this program directly weather its going to be difficult for me to get a job. Just wanted some opinions from all my fellow students and DPTS.

Also, the school that im planning to attend is touro college in NY, i havent heard too much information regarding that school but its fairly close to my house and the tuition is what i can afford. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Im new to these forums and this is only my second post but i've been reading alot of the other posts and i absolutely love this site! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused...you're asking should you apply to another college (a 4 year school, i.e. NYU) to complete your bachelors, and then apply as a senior to a 3 year PT grad program (NYU, or wherever else)? What is the other option you're considering?

If you only have an associates, you cannot apply to a DPT program without first getting your bachelor's degree...but I don't think a DPT program would look down on you for having an associates and a bachelor's degree...

And if you graduate from PT school, where you did your undergrad (whether you started at a community college or did it all at a 4 year university) won't matter at all. All that matters is that you pass the licensing exam, and have had good experiences in your clinicals that have taught you a lot.

I hope that helps/answers your question? If you rephrase what you're asking maybe I can help you a bit more.

Yes i wanted to know if it would make a difference weather i get my bachelors and then apply for the DPT program. I only have an associates as of right now but the school that i'm planning attending would admit you into the program if you had met a certain criteria i.e 90 credit hours with all the essential core science classes 8 credits of bio, 8 credits of chemistry, 8 credits of physics etc. followed by a lot of volunteer hours.
I am planning on completing all the pre-reqs so that i would be qualified to enter the program but i am just debating on weather i should get my bachelors in biology or psychology or something in that area instead of doing the above option. I hope I am being a bit more clear this time. Thanks

Forgive me if I'm not on the right track, but- it sounds as if you may be applying to a pre-dpt track at a 4 year school (?), and you already hold an AS, but if you were to do the pre-dpt track, you would basically be starting over again if it's a total of 7 years. If this is the case, I would advise you to get your BS in a field that you both like and allows for pre-req's to be completed. If you have an AS, you should only be 5 years away from a DPT degree. I got my AS, then a BS in, yes, I'm not kidding, Sociology and a minor in Psych...b/c I honestly enjoy those subjects, and I got accepted yesterday into a DPT program, and am interviewing at another this weekend. Even if you go for the softer science route, sometimes programs seem to like the diversity it will add to their program, so I don't think they look down on having an AS then BS at all, even if it's not the traditional bio/exercise science route. No need adding 2 more years of school for nothing.