Decisions to Make (Not your typical MD vs. DO... but maybe)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardiacLion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here I stand, nearing the end of the 2014-2015 application cycle. Such are my results:

Accepted (Deposit Paid): NYIT-COM (Chose NYIT over the others)

Accepted (Withdrawn): LECOM, Nova

Rejected: 15+ MDs

Waitlisted (Post Interview): EVMS

Hold/No News: Drexel, Albany, Buffalo, Vermont, Jefferson

I hope to garner advice on what to do next. While I've read enough about the traditional MD vs. DO, I'd like some feedback specific to the future I hope to paint into a reality.

Ultimately I think I want to go into Internal Medicine followed by a fellowship in Cardio, if not a more direct sub-specialized field. While NYIT has an awesome match list, I'm worried that I will not be able to match into a Top 15 ACGME program, should I do well on my boards. It's a far-thought I know, but I don't want to close any doors I could potentially have open to me.

What do you all recommend to a) help me get off the EVMS waitlist, and b) should I get rejected ulimately do I take NYIT, or go SMP, Post-Bacc, and/or reapply?

I'm hoping for some real constructive feedback/criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will have to accept one of the offers, MD or DO. If you chose not to matriculate this cycle despite multiple acceptances, you will be scrutinized in subsequent applications and unlikely to be considered at all in the future if the schools found out you've been accepted somewhere else before. Do not apply to schools you do not wish to go. Go to NYCOM if you got rejected by EVMS.

Reactions: 6 users
a) Check if EVMS is receptive to post-interview updates for wait-listed candidates. If they do accept updates, update them about your recent accomplishments/grades if you have any new ones. If you don't have new grades or activities, send a letter expressing your continued interest in the school and why you would be a good fit.

b) Take your acceptance to NYIT! Rock the board exams and study your buns off. Do research and stand out from your peers during rotations. That way, you won't be closing any doors and will increase your chances of matching into residency programs you want. Remember, no school (MD or DO) can guarantee acceptance into a specific residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've met a number of DOs who attended PCOM (closest DO school to where I used to live) and had gone into internal medicine, cardiology, orthopedics, and family practice.

If you didn't want DO why did you apply to multiple DO schools? Now that you're accepted to a DO program and turned down at over 15 MD schools, why would you turn your nose up at it? Even if it meant you couldn't get a cardiology residency (and I know for a fact it doesn't), why would you give up the chance to be physician when I doubt you've experienced medicine as a provider. There's a really good chance you'll end up preferring another field.

And why do you need to go into a Top 15 ACGME program to go into cardiology?

At some point, we have to face the reality we are given (or the reality we have earned), be thankful for what we are offered, and do more with that than people expect. You don't have to go to Harvard Medical School to get a cardiology residency. You don't have to do your residency at Johns Hopkins to be a great cardiologist. Sure, those are great programs, but how good a doctor is has more to do with how hard they work and their innate abilities than where they are educated.

(Does EVMS have a better match list than NYIT? I know it's considered a less impressive medical school than others.)

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for the responses :)

So this is the thing, I got a pretty positive response from the Director of Admissions in writing, so hoping an LOI will do the trick.

Let's call a spade a spade, I applied to DO's as a safety net, to fallback on some options rather than none. With that being said, I respect both schools 100%, I know the doctor makes the degree, the degree doesn't make the doctor, but I do want to get into a great residency at an academic center. Why? Because I do, its who I am, I want to prove it to myself that I am capable of that, and I know EVMS will help me more than NYIT.

Match wise, there's a huge locational bias. EVMS had a great year with many students landing top programs across the country, and an equally large number of students doing OK in the VA area (which again can be viewed as natives staying where they call home, or students who ended up at the lower tier programs). Where as NYIT had a lot of students doing just as well in NY ACGME programs (which is what I want), and most others doing pretty good in the AOA match.

I also work in the research space currently, and am concerned because I may potentially want to move into that field, and I know that the pharma field does distinguish between the degrees (MD vs. DO), just because the CMO, Medical Directors of clinical trials have to be bigger names/more prestigious in the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the responses :)

So this is the thing, I got a pretty positive response from the Director of Admissions in writing, so hoping an LOI will do the trick.

Let's call a spade a spade, I applied to DO's as a safety net, to fallback on some options rather than none. With that being said, I respect both schools 100%, I know the doctor makes the degree, the degree doesn't make the doctor, but I do want to get into a great residency at an academic center. Why? Because I do, its who I am, I want to prove it to myself that I am capable of that, and I know EVMS will help me more than NYIT.

Match wise, there's a huge locational bias. EVMS had a great year with many students landing top programs across the country, and an equally large number of students doing OK in the VA area (which again can be viewed as natives staying where they call home, or students who ended up at the lower tier programs). Where as NYIT had a lot of students doing just as well in NY ACGME programs (which is what I want), and most others doing pretty good in the AOA match.

I also work in the research space currently, and am concerned because I may potentially want to move into that field, and I know that the pharma field does distinguish between the degrees (MD vs. DO), just because the CMO, Medical Directors of clinical trials have to be bigger names/more prestigious in the field.

Your reasons are very well thought out and there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you did! Getting into super competitive academic programs (or the pharma field for that matter) is much harder as a DO right now. It's not impossible, but it's difficult that's for sure.

Should EVMS not give you any love, NYIT COM will still give you a strong shot. I'd say the first thing to do if this happens is to find a research mentor to really help build your CV with pubs (as long as it doesn't interfere with doing well on your boards), gain connections with research mentors at academic centers.

Good luck!

Truth of the matter is that none of the IM programs at nyc "academic centers" will even look at an application from a DO. I'm not saying you can't become a cardiologist as a DO but the chance is slim.

Truth of the matter is that none of the IM programs at nyc "academic centers" will even look at an application from a DO. I'm not saying you can't become a cardiologist as a DO but the chance is slim.

So what would you recommend I do then? If this is my end goal, do I reapply next cycle, attend an SMP, or take the DO and call it "quits"

So what would you recommend I do then? If this is my end goal, do I reapply next cycle, attend an SMP, or take the DO and call it "quits"
Call what quits? Cards was the most popular IM fellowship attained by DOs last year: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...gram-NRMP-Results-and-Data-SMS-2014-Final.pdf

What isn't known is how many applied for said year. Was it 60? 100?......

You don't have to go to a top 15 (how you came up with top 15 is beyond me) IM program to be a bad ass cardiologist.

at this point i think you should hope for the best with EVMS and matriculate at the DO school if it doesn't work out. it's incredibly risky to apply again after getting accepted this cycle and you will have to endure a lot of mental/financial stress and time to go through with it again in the future. whatever you end up doing, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
What makes you think you'd have success next year at a MD school? What have you done this year to improve your application for reapplying? I do think you shouldn't go to the DO school with your very negative attitude. You will be very unhappy and spend the rest of your life feeling you settled for DO! Not good for you or your patients. Just for your info though the head of EP and the director of infectious diseases at University Of Chicago are both DO. They are fabulous docs.

Reactions: 5 users
What makes you think you'd have success next year at a MD school? What have you done this year to improve your application for reapplying? I do think you shouldn't go to the DO school with your very negative attitude. You will be very unhappy and spend the rest of your life feeling you settled for DO! Not good for you or your patients. Just for your info though the head of EP and the director of infectious diseases at University Of Chicago are both DO. They are fabulous docs.

Good point lol. There is no guarantee, while my extra-curriculars, and clinical experiences have significantly improved (they were already solid), my grades/GPA won't have improved because I graduated and started working. I was thinking of doing an SMP/Post-Bacc, but again the consensus seems to be that I should take the DO and run with what I have.

I don't think I have a very negative attitude, I'm just being realistic about the prospects of each field respective to the two degrees. If I want to move into the research space it will be tougher, and I know that.

My ID doc is aDO and she is a world renowned researcher. Be the best in your class and doors will be wide open. Bottom line: how badly do you want to be a doc?

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't give your stats so it's hard to say but from the way your application cycle went I'm assuming there's no gross underachievment here.

From the last data we have in 2011 DOs had a 65% match rate into cards. Note though that this is a highly self selected group. On the bright side cards is becoming a little less competitive.

Basically you're going to have to decide what your properties are. If it's cardiology or bust then you are putting yourself at a big disadvantage by going to a DO school. If you like medicine and are open to alternate career paths then go to the DO school.

Tell that to this guy:
http://www.thecirt.org/michael-b-clearfield-do-facoi-facp--touro-university.html

Or the kids here:
http://www.sjhg.org/fellowships/current-fellows/

I don't know what your problem is, Meat. You're either a self-hating DO, or a bitter IMG. Yes, my grads have to work harder to get into specialties, but my students who don't want to go into Primary Care have no trouble matching into ACGME residencies, in specialities. And yes, they're not going to be Peds Oncologists, but that's hard enough for MD grads.

But the days of "DOs can't do X" are coming to an end.

So give it a rest.

Reactions: 13 users
Congrats on getting into NYCOM, it's a very competitive program. Go there.

With the upcoming residency merger and Carribean peeps getting squeezed out, prospects for D.O.'s are getting brighter.

Tell that to this guy:
http://www.thecirt.org/michael-b-clearfield-do-facoi-facp--touro-university.html

Or the kids here:

I don't know what your problem is, Meat. You're either a self-hating DO, or a bitter IMG. Yes, my grads have to work harder to get into specialties, but my students who don't want to go into Primary Care have no trouble matching into ACGME residencies, in specialities. And yes, they're not going to be Peds Oncologists, but that's hard enough for MD grads.

So give it a rest.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Your posts about clinical medicine are on par with those made by pre-meds. Please stick to what you know as a PhD instructor and adcom which is (as you've admitted in the past) limited to pre-clinical medical education. I didn't say OP couldn't become a cardiologist as a DO nor did I say they don't exist. Stop with the straw man arguments. Also, thanks for posting a link to a profile of a really old doctor (whose career path obviously doesn't represent today's realities) and a link to an AOA accredited fellowship (of course they're all DOs!) which are universally thought of to be way below the standard of ACGME fellowships. The context of those links was either lost on you or you are deliberately obfuscating. I get it that your role basically amounts to being a salesperson for DO schools because otherwise you'd be out of a job but I hope you realize how disingenuous you're being.

PS: I'm a US MD
PPS: OP and I exchanged private messages and I recommended he go to NYCOM

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop embarrassing yourself. Your posts about clinical medicine are on par with those made by pre-meds. Please stick to what you know as a PhD instructor and adcom which is (as you've admitted in the past) limited to pre-clinical medical education. I didn't say OP couldn't become a cardiologist as a DO nor did I say they don't exist. Stop with the straw man arguments. Also, thanks for posting a link to a profile of a really old doctor (whose career path obviously doesn't represent today's realities) and a link to an AOA accredited fellowship (of course they're all DOs!) which are universally thought of to be way below the standard of ACGME fellowships. Either the context of those links was either lost on you or you are deliberately obfuscating. I get it that your role basically amounts to being a salesperson for DO schools because otherwise you'd be out of a job but I hope you realize how disingenuous you're being.

Is there really that large a bias against D.O.'s for fellowships?

Do you think this will change with the upcoming residency merger?

Fellowships are easier to obtain with research and training at an academic/university hospital for residency. Those are spots are harder to obtain for DOs in general, but very much doable as Goro alluded to. Meat was specifically referring to IM in NYC at academic centers, which is extremely improbable (I live there and am very involved in research and can attest). Fellowships are very much obtainable, but like anything, are more competitive at some programs/specialties. Many programs will have bias based on academic credentials.

I don't know why anyone would think an accreditation merger would help for fellowships. It was, in part, agreed to because the ACGME was going to exclude all AOA trained DOs from ACGME fellowships. The merger avoided this. Years in the future, there may be a combined match making it easier to apply to all programs and not pick 1 match essentially but the only difference the merger makes is fellowship eligibility and ability to tell employers your ACGME trained. Perhaps it will make historically AOA trained residents (who will now be ACGME trained) more competitive but those applicants will still be primarily from community programs making it more challenging pedigree-wise anyway.

for certain fellowships it's quite tough, not just because of that discrete step but because of the preceding steps along the path (getting a good step 1 score then going to a good residency) ....all of which are harder for DOs

It'll certainly be in DO students' favor to have all residencies accredited by the ACGME but at the same time IM and some of it's fellowships are becoming more competitive so those two things might cancel each other out for some fields.

Fellowships are easier to obtain with research and training at an academic/university hospital for residency. Those are spots are harder to obtain for DOs in general, but very much doable as Goro alluded to. Meat was specifically referring to IM in NYC at academic centers, which is extremely improbable (I live there and am very involved in research and can attest). Fellowships are very much obtainable, but like anything, are more competitive at some programs/specialties. Many programs will have bias based on academic credentials.

I don't know why anyone would think an accreditation merger would help for fellowships. It was, in part, agreed to because the ACGME was going to exclude all AOA trained DOs from ACGME fellowships. The merger avoided this. Years in the future, there may be a combined match making it easier to apply to all programs and not pick 1 match essentially but the only difference the merger makes is fellowship eligibility and ability to tell employers your ACGME trained. Perhaps it will make historically AOA trained residents (who will now be ACGME trained) more competitive but those applicants will still be primarily from community programs making it more challenging pedigree-wise anyway.
I meant along the lines of it being harder for DO's to match into top IM programs, thus being more difficult to get a cards fellowship.

for certain fellowships it's quite tough, not just because of that discrete step but because of the preceding steps along the path (getting a good step 1 score then going to a good residency) ....all of which are harder for DOs

It'll certainly be in DO students' favor to have all residencies accredited by the ACGME but at the same time IM and some of it's fellowships are becoming more competitive so those two things might cancel each other out for some fields.
Thanks for the info! What incentive did the ACGME have to merge with the AOA? It seems to me like MD's will be in a larger competition pool now whereas before for certain programs they were only competing against fellow MD's.

This isn't directed towards OP, but I feel like the pre-medical forum tends to tell borderline MD applicants (who could easily shore up application weaknesses with a gap year) to pursue DO programs. No one is here to argue a clinical superiority, or even difference, between the DO and MD degree, but the reality is that MD graduates have an advantage over DO graduates in procuring competitive and academic residency positions. In my experience, a good portion of residency programs outright do not interview IMG or DO applicants.

If you want nothing to do with academics and wish to enter private practice, then maybe the DO route is equal...but why not stack all the cards in your favor? You really should enter medical school with an open mind of which field you want to enter and what type of medicine you want to practice. You may not want to do research, but if you have the option, go to a school that has research opportunities readily available. You may come in gung-ho family medicine and end up doing plastic surgery. And with that logic, you should go a school that could be helpful during the residency application process. Either they tend to frequently match students into these competitive programs and become a trusted commodity, the advising resources are stronger at the school, or simply the MD > DO prejudice still exists in some circles. I make this same argument to tell pre-medical students deciding between MD schools to not discount school reputation as factor--no matter how minor it is. All schools are not created equal even if they go through a universal accreditation process.

Thanks for the info! What incentive did the ACGME have to merge with the AOA? It seems to me like MD's will be in a larger competition pool now whereas before for certain programs they were only competing against fellow MD's.

First of all calling it a "merger" is already misleading. It was basically a takeover by the ACGME of AOA programs. It's in the ACGME's best interest to standardize training and shut down a basically unregulated back door training process that threatened to saturate the market by approving any residency program that had the application fee (hyperbole, but only a little). This all came about because the ACGME threatened to bar AOA program graduates from ACGME fellowships because their training is not standardized and sub-par.

Reactions: 2 users
I also want to throw out that it's a reach to assume a level of academic achievement that doesn't get someone into an MD program will suddenly transform into a level that beats those MD students into a very competitive field....those transformations are the exception

Reactions: 2 users
I know the doctor makes the degree, the degree doesn't make the doctor, but I do want to get into a great residency at an academic center. Why? Because I do, its who I am, I want to prove it to myself that I am capable of that, and I know EVMS will help me more than NYIT.

I dont know much about you except what youre writing in this topic, but I think that this statement you made is pretty important.

If getting into a great residency at a university hospital , in and of itself, is one of your main goals, then I'd keep trying for MD if i were you. Again, I'm not you and it depends on how much you value being able to go to a top residency at a university hospital. It's possible to enter such a residency program from a DO school - I know residents and physicians who have (in fact I have two friends (brothers) who both went to medical school - one to Harvard Medical School and the other one to a DO school, and the DO ended up with a more prestigious residency) - but as far as I know, the climb is MUCH steeper.

If I were in your position, I'd just go to the DO school, but that's only because I know you dont need to go to such prestigious residencies to become a cardiologist and i dont care about prestige so much that I'd risk a nice egg already in the basket.

Tell that to this guy:

Or the kids here:

So give it a rest.
Peds heme/onc isn't exactly hard for anyone to get, really:

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...gram-NRMP-Results-and-Data-SMS-2014-Final.pdf

Last edited:
I've shadowed a DO cardiologist actually, so it's definitely possible.

I've shadowed a DO cardiologist actually, so it's definitely possible.

So have I, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are graduates of prestigious residency programs and fellowships, and are now privy to career opportunities that otherwise would not have been available to them given their degree and respective ramifications - but I digress.

I thank all of you for all your insight and feedback, and I'm going to wait this out. I will keep you all posted on my decision, once I hear back from EVMS. Thank you again, and best of luck in your cycles and future endeavors.

Last edited:
This isn't directed towards OP, but I feel like the pre-medical forum tends to tell borderline MD applicants (who could easily shore up application weaknesses with a gap year) to pursue DO programs. No one is here to argue a clinical superiority, or even difference, between the DO and MD degree, but the reality is that MD graduates have an advantage over DO graduates in procuring competitive and academic residency positions. In my experience, a good portion of residency programs outright do not interview IMG or DO applicants.

This is a good point and a valid observation -- but also a decision that needs to be made prior to applying to DO programs. I do understand the "DO as safety net" mindset, but would suggest you not "pull out the safety net" unless you're genuinely willing to use it. Decide if you'd rather take another gap year or go DO before you apply. Don't second guess yourself now, because that's a surefire path to misery.

In this case OP, try to get yourself excited about going to NYCOM. It's a great program, which you said you really liked when you were there. Work on your mindset, plan your future positively, and enjoy knowing that you're going to be a physician. If EVMS comes through, then you'll be an MD instead of a DO -- but either way, you'll be a Dr. and if you do well, can probably be a cardiologist. Either path can get you to your desired destination.

@CardiacLion
I was under the impression that EVMS had a lot of waitlist movement near the end of the cycle so I'd say you may have a good chance of getting in. Do you know where you are in the waitlist (top 1/3, etc.)? I think calling in to determine your rank could help determine your likelihood of getting in!

This is a good point and a valid observation -- but also a decision that needs to be made prior to applying to DO programs. I do understand the "DO as safety net" mindset, but would suggest you not "pull out the safety net" unless you're genuinely willing to use it. Decide if you'd rather take another gap year or go DO before you apply. Don't second guess yourself now, because that's a surefire path to misery.

In this case OP, try to get yourself excited about going to NYCOM. It's a great program, which you said you really liked when you were there. Work on your mindset, plan your future positively, and enjoy knowing that you're going to be a physician. If EVMS comes through, then you'll be an MD instead of a DO -- but either way, you'll be a Dr. and if you do well, can probably be a cardiologist. Either path can get you to your desired destination.

Yes I agree. Nowhere in this post did I say that I disliked NYIT. I have tremendous amount of respect for the school because I know so many bright students there. I'm excited either way, just want to make my interpretation of "success" all the more possible, by way of an MD.

@womanofscience second tier of EVMS, so yeah hoping for some love.

To reinforce a few points that have been made and that I know you've seen but bears repeating:
- There will be heavy scrutiny if you decline a DO acceptance and try again for an MD in the following cycle
- even if you get into an MD school there's no telling whether or not you'll make it into a "Top 15 cards program" even if you work your tail off
- why does it have to be a top 15 program? What makes this arbitrary number so special, why not a top 10 or a top 5?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you are creating a high risk/low reward situation for yourself. You've answered to some of these points but the justification is not strong enough to put yourself through the ringer.

To reinforce a few points that have been made and that I know you've seen but bears repeating:
- There will be heavy scrutiny if you decline a DO acceptance and try again for an MD in the following cycle
- even if you get into an MD school there's no telling whether or not you'll make it into a "Top 15 cards program" even if you work your tail off
- why does it have to be a top 15 program? What makes this arbitrary number so special, why not a top 10 or a top 5?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you are creating a high risk/low reward situation for yourself. You've answered to some of these points but the justification is not strong enough to put yourself through the ringer.

@tortelliniboy

I think you're getting me wrong, the Top X number was just an arbitrary one that I picked off the top of my head and stuck with for the sake of the post. It's not like if I got an offer from the 16th best program I'd be bummed lol, it was more about doing well and training at a prestigious institution then the exact number.

But I hear you, and I know I'm going to be scrutinized should I decide to rescind my DO offer for a shot at an MD next year. So I'm going to wait it out and see what hand I'm playing with at the end of this cycle. Hopefully I won't have to make a decision and EVMS will accept me lol.

There is no "heavy scrutiny" if you decline a DO acceptance and reapply for MD. They are completely separate applications and neither will know if you are accepted at the other. If you are a strong DO candidate, I don't see what the risk is because you will be accepted to DO school again. I don't understand why everyone gets so upset if someone wants to decline a DO acceptance. One thing I don't like about DO is that 9 out of 10 people I talk to have no idea what it means. In the end you will be called "doctor" regardless of what school you attend. But I think it is obvious that if you can get into MD school instead of DO school, you should take that opportunity. Just be sure your application is good enough, if you decide to reapply.

Of course not everyone needs to be in NYC (despite what people in NYC will tell you)... You find less DO bias toward the middle of the country.

No there won't. I turned down 2 DO acceptances to reapply and matriculated MD. Nobody asked or even knew about my prior acceptances, and I'd even paid the deposit for one of the schools.

Hi Guys,

So I just wanted to update you on everything. So as of right now I've decided to matric to NYIT-COM - still on WL at EVMS, but to be honest it's looking mighty grim for me because of my sGPA apparently (according to admissions).

Since then however I've run into another decision to make, whether to actually matric to NYIT or not - as recently, I heard that NYIT-COM has lost out on a good amount of rotation spots for their 3/4th years. I called the school, and am awaiting a phone call back from the dean who apparently has fielded a lot of concerned calls regarding this matter - so it's seems like its not just a rumor, but something more serious.

So my questions to you guys then - what should I do? I'm thinking of applying to some Masters programs to demonstrate my ability in the sciences and boost up my application, but do you guys think this is worth it to take another year off, and hope for an MD? If it wasn't for these rotations issues at NYIT I would've matriculated there for sure, but now I'm reconsidering my options because apparently it is of greater concern.

Let me know your thoughts.

You got into one of the topmost DO programs into the country but want to throw that away and go through the miserable process of applying again in the hopes of being a reapplicant to MD?

Hi Guys,

So I just wanted to update you on everything. So as of right now I've decided to matric to NYIT-COM - still on WL at EVMS, but to be honest it's looking mighty grim for me because of my sGPA apparently (according to admissions).

Since then however I've run into another decision to make, whether to actually matric to NYIT or not - as recently, I heard that NYIT-COM has lost out on a good amount of rotation spots for their 3/4th years. I called the school, and am awaiting a phone call back from the dean who apparently has fielded a lot of concerned calls regarding this matter - so it's seems like its not just a rumor, but something more serious.

So my questions to you guys then - what should I do? I'm thinking of applying to some Masters programs to demonstrate my ability in the sciences and boost up my application, but do you guys think this is worth it to take another year off, and hope for an MD? If it wasn't for these rotations issues at NYIT I would've matriculated there for sure, but now I'm reconsidering my options because apparently it is of greater concern.

Let me know your thoughts.

Unfortunately you're kinda stuck. Hofstra has really hurt NYCOM's clinical rotations. NYCOM is no longer the only game in western long island. NSLIJ has even stopped taking NYCOM students in it's IM program. That said it would be a pretty big gamble for you to pass up an acceptance just so you can reapply, particularly with an application that got you rejected from all but one MD school initially. Doing a master's won't help you at all. If you're going to take the gamble, which I don't advise you do, you absolutely need to do either an SMP or post-bacc if your sGPA is the problem.

So here I stand, nearing the end of the 2014-2015 application cycle. Such are my results:

Accepted (Deposit Paid): NYIT-COM (Chose NYIT over the others)

Accepted (Withdrawn): LECOM, Nova

Rejected: 15+ MDs

Waitlisted (Post Interview): EVMS

Hold/No News: Drexel, Albany, Buffalo, Vermont, Jefferson

I hope to garner advice on what to do next. While I've read enough about the traditional MD vs. DO, I'd like some feedback specific to the future I hope to paint into a reality.

Ultimately I think I want to go into Internal Medicine followed by a fellowship in Cardio, if not a more direct sub-specialized field. While NYIT has an awesome match list, I'm worried that I will not be able to match into a Top 15 ACGME program, should I do well on my boards. It's a far-thought I know, but I don't want to close any doors I could potentially have open to me.

What do you all recommend to a) help me get off the EVMS waitlist, and b) should I get rejected ulimately do I take NYIT, or go SMP, Post-Bacc, and/or reapply?

I'm hoping for some real constructive feedback/criticism.

I'm confused :confused: Matching top 15 ACGME (you've mentioned internal med so I'm thinking Mass Gen, UCSF, Hopkins, etc.) would be difficult for anyone...MD or DO.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Your posts about clinical medicine are on par with those made by pre-meds. Please stick to what you know as a PhD instructor and adcom which is (as you've admitted in the past) limited to pre-clinical medical education. I didn't say OP couldn't become a cardiologist as a DO nor did I say they don't exist. Stop with the straw man arguments. Also, thanks for posting a link to a profile of a really old doctor (whose career path obviously doesn't represent today's realities) and a link to an AOA accredited fellowship (of course they're all DOs!) which are universally thought of to be way below the standard of ACGME fellowships. The context of those links was either lost on you or you are deliberately obfuscating. I get it that your role basically amounts to being a salesperson for DO schools because otherwise you'd be out of a job but I hope you realize how disingenuous you're being.

So rude!