Decisions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marie85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I am not trying to start an MD vs. DO thread. I just want some advice with a hard decision.

I have been accepted to a DO school in my current town and have been planning to attend. I liked the school, the cirriculum, the fact that I wouldn't have to relocate, and all my family lives in the area. However, I was just taken off the waitlist at an MD school about 8 hours away. It is a fairly good medical school with lots of research opportunities and great facilities. It was the best of all the MD schools I applied too, and I was really surprised to get an inteview, much less accepted from the waitlist.

I think that DO and MDs are equal, but I do understand that going to a DO school I would most likely take both board exams and possibly have some disadvantages with clinical rotations. In this respect, it seems better to go to the MD school. However, I love the idea of staying in my current town with family and friends. They are both the same price, so that isn't a factor, although the MD school would probably end up costing more because of relocating.

Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

That is tough decision. To simply it, if you are remotely thinking of going into a competitive field, then go the MD route. Otherwise, DO is fine. While interviewing for residency this year in a competitive field, I met a bunch of DOs who were moaning about how hard it is for them to land an interview at allopathic residencies. As a DO, you will really have to stand out to land a 'desired' allopathic residency. It is not impossible, but you will have to work harder than your MD counterparts to achieve the same end game.

Yeah, that's a tough one.

What's your gut saying? Which school do you want to attend?

FWIW, I'd probably go to the MD school because of the research opportunities and facilities. Eight hours is not far.

And hey - congrats! You have two great options. That's awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check out how the third and fourth year rotations are arranged. At MD schools there is usually a nearby hospital or hospitals affiliated with the school and rotations are more or less convenient to schedule. At many DO schools the rotations are up to the student to arrange and at many locations, possibly in other states.

Go to the MD school...most likely you'll have better research opportunities, generally they are attached to some teaching hospital, you'll only have to take 1 set of boards to compete for the allopathic residencies (which are more "prestigious" if you plan on doing fellowships). Now, as a DO, you could match in a very competitive specialty at an allopathic program, but it's less likely.

(And I'm not at all biased against either degree, I'm applying to both. Several MD/DO relatives/family friends, encouraged me to apply to both, but all said MD may make the route easier)

I'd echo previous posters in saying that if you're potentially interested in competitive residencies you'll have an easier path as a md, for the same price, that seems like a good call.

I would check out how the third and fourth year rotations are arranged. At MD schools there is usually a nearby hospital or hospitals affiliated with the school and rotations are more or less convenient to schedule. At many DO schools the rotations are up to the student to arrange and at many locations, possibly in other states.

I agree. That seems to be the most important part of your medical education anyway.

While I don't think that's totally accurate (I can only think of a couple DO schools where this would apply, but then again, there aren't that many DO schools in general, anyway).

Either way, I say go MD, simply because of how tough it seems to have gotten in.

Agree with above.

Additionally, I just thought of more thing that will make your decision a little easier. Ask the schools to provide their match lists for recent years. Sometimes they post it on their websites, but they may be password protected. See where students go for residencies and in what specialties. And then make an informed decision on where you see yourself in 4 years and beyond.

I'm a big fan of DO schools in general, but the fact that you are even contemplating this makes me say definitely go MD. You'll have an easier road ahead with the MD degree.

If the school was the "Best" MD School you applied to then obviously its the school you really wanted to go to or else you never would have applied there. Go MD you won't regret it.

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it :)

3rd year rotations are spread across the country for the DO school and are also set up like a lottery, so there is no guarantee where you will end up. I heard some are really great, others not so much. The MD school has an affiliated hospital, so definitely easier and more consistent.

Match lists at both schools are good. The DO school has more people matched in my current town, which is where I would ultimately like to end up.

It will be a difficult decision and I will really have to think it through. It makes more sense to attend the MD school, but I recently had a death in the family and it really made me think about spending time with family and how short life really is. I am also in a relationship and know that it would be very difficult to do long distance.

Thanks again for the advice! Any other opinions or hearing from people that were in similar situations would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year rotations are spread across the country for the DO school and are also set up like a lottery, so there is no guarantee where you will end up. I heard some are really great, others not so much. The MD school has an affiliated hospital, so definitely easier and more consistent.

I would hate this. One thing to keep in mind is that if you're going to get sent all over the country for rotations then you definetely won't be spending much time with family due to that. Man, the uncertainty of that would drive me nuts. It's gotta suck if you had a family. No place to put down roots.

Another thing to seriously consider is the town you will be living in. This is a very important factor that is glossed over by a lot of pre-meds. I opted to go to a smaller less-prestigious school because it was in a location that was more conducive for my wife and kids. You may not have a family, but you do need to think about the factors associated with where you will be living. Cost of living, commute, even little things like parking can tip the scales one way or the other. It is up to you to determine what is important to you and whether or not any of those factors are deal breakers.

Match lists at both schools are good. The DO school has more people matched in my current town, which is where I would ultimately like to end up.

It will be a difficult decision and I will really have to think it through. It makes more sense to attend the MD school, but I recently had a death in the family and it really made me think about spending time with family and how short life really is. I am also in a relationship and know that it would be very difficult to do long distance.

Thanks again for the advice! Any other opinions or hearing from people that were in similar situations would be great.
Just wondering, did you get into one of the LECOMs?

If you want to practice in or around Kansas City (or in the states of MO or KS), KCUMB is a good school. They have a lot of docs that practice locally in the area. If you want to do family medicine and think you'll be happier here, then definitely go for it. The more competitive the speciality, the more I would suggest you go the M.D. route.

On a side-note, if you don't think your relationship will survive an eight hour drive, that doesn't say much for it. I've been in a relationship with the same girl for the past few years (she is currently in Syracuse, NY finishing up her second year of med school and I'm in San Francisco, CA). Where there is a will, there is a way. That is an 6+ hr flight plus another 2-3 hrs in lay-overs between SYR and SFO (since there are not direct flights between the two places).

Honestly, I am not sure. I've always leaned toward family medicine, but I want to stay open minded.

No, KCUMB.

Honestly, I am not sure. I've always leaned toward family medicine, but I want to stay open minded.

No, KCUMB.
That's not a bad school at all. I think they have a strong primary care focus going by their match lists, but I would still say go to the MD school, since that seems to be what you truly want (which is just fine).

Why did you leave your name on the waitlist if you preferred the school that had already accepted you?

My peeps, if you are happy with your current school and wouldn't trade it for something else, take.your.name.off.the.waitlist!

I would hate this. One thing to keep in mind is that if you're going to get sent all over the country for rotations then you definetely won't be spending much time with family due to that. Man, the uncertainty of that would drive me nuts. It's gotta suck if you had a family. No place to put down roots.

I agree. I would hate having to move every few weeks in addition to the stress induced by having rotations and shelf exams.

I say, even though its a bit far, go MD. If they're the same cost anyways, and you want to do primary care, there is no difference except that you'll be able to change your mind if you wanted to do something a lot more competitive.

On a side-note, if you don't think your relationship will survive an eight hour drive, that doesn't say much for it. I've been in a relationship with the same girl for the past few years (she is currently in Syracuse, NY finishing up her second year of med school and I'm in San Francisco, CA). Where there is a will, there is a way. That is an 6+ hr flight plus another 2-3 hrs in lay-overs between SYR and SFO (since there are not direct flights between the two places).

That is very true. It is a fairly new relationship (a little under a year) and I am just not sure where it is going. I really like him, but we are still just getting to know each other. But I guess if it will work out, it will. Thanks for the advice :)

Why did you leave your name on the waitlist if you preferred the school that had already accepted you?

My peeps, if you are happy with your current school and wouldn't trade it for something else, take.your.name.off.the.waitlist!

No, no, no. I was accepted to the DO school and just now learned that I got off the waitlist at the MD school. That is why I made this thread, to decide what is best. I still have not decided and am still in the time frame to send in my deposit.

While I like the DO school and prefer the location, I also like the MD school and recognize that it may bring more opportunities. I am not sure where I will end up, I want to completely think it through and can see myself at both places.

I wouldn't have made this thread if I was 100% positive I would attend the DO school and I would have taken my name off the waitlist in that case...

I agree. I would hate having to move every few weeks in addition to the stress induced by having rotations and shelf exams.

I say, even though its a bit far, go MD. If they're the same cost anyways, and you want to do primary care, there is no difference except that you'll be able to change your mind if you wanted to do something a lot more competitive.
Yeah, while you'll be OK as a DO (if you work hard, and score right, of course) if you want to do IM/FP/EM/Gen Surgery (DO residencies mainly)/Anesthesiology/Neurology (etc., etc.), you'll have a much easier time if you decide in the future to go into one of the more competitive surgery specialties like Orthopedic Surgery or Neurosurgery, or something like Dermatology (etc., etc.).

I say go for the MD school. You'll still be able to do what you want in Kansas, and if your relationship doesn't work out, then it wasn't meant to be.

I don't know of a school that makes you move every few weeks. The schools that do a lottery, do it for all the rotations. Wherever you end up is where you spend all of third year.

Okay, here's the deal. The MD degree would be ideal for any future career plans, BUT med school is rough. Being away from family, friends, boyfriend makes it a bit rougher. Have you lived away from home before? You have to decide what's more important. My boyfriend (of several years) and I did the long distance thing for half of the year first year and I have to tell you that it was miserable. Even though we did the long distance thing a few years ago for a year, this time, it was brutal because of med school. But that's my experience. Other people do long distance in med school and deal just fine. You have to decide what type of person you are.

As for your DO choice, KCUMB is a great school. They have an impressive match list every year in every field, so I'd say you'll be good no matter where you go.

Good luck!

I could sense it (hence my post). Honestly, I was dating my gf only a few months before she moved cross-country to attend med school. It has definitely tested our relationship, but it's much stronger because of it. What's meant to be, is meant to be.

I'm also sorry to hear about the death in your family and know how that can change one's outlook on everything.

Trust me when I say that there will always be other great boys (girls), assuming it doesn't work out. Medical school is a much, much more important decision.

That is very true. It is a fairly new relationship (a little under a year) and I am just not sure where it is going. I really like him, but we are still just getting to know each other. But I guess if it will work out, it will. Thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:
Some keep mentioning competitive residencies. Which ones are those nowadays? Is EM included?

Go where you think you will be happier and less stressed the next four years.

Okay, here's the deal. The MD degree would be ideal for any future career plans, BUT med school is rough. Being away from family, friends, boyfriend makes it a bit rougher. Have you lived away from home before?

Devil's Advocate:

1. Med school isn't 3-5 at Leavenworth. Most medical schools have at least two summers, and students have time off for holidays. One can arrange away rotations during M4 (and sometimes M3).

2. If you have never lived away from home then for God's sake, take the opportunity to do so. Cut the apron strings and expand your horizons a bit. Live somewhere new, have new experiences, make new friends. You won't have very many opportunities to do this in your life.

3. Do not factor your boyfriend into the decision. Spouse yes, fiance yes, boyfriend you're still getting to know: no. It's a recipe for failure and resentment.

4. Med school is rough, but it's also intense and goes by fairly quickly. It's four years, but more weight should be given to the many decades that will follow. Take the long view in planning your career.

Some keep mentioning competitive residencies. Which ones are those nowadays? Is EM included?

People always mention competitive residencies because that is where the "MD advantage" is most easily visualized. It also exists in other specialties, but to a lesser extent.

MexicanDr said:
Go where you think you will be happier and less stressed the next four years.

What about the fifty after?

Does KCUMB have a blog site or an email address where you could pose this question to current students? I know a lot of incoming classes have these set up to pose questions. Maybe not pose it to them in terms of, "Should I go MD," but ask about the rotation sites and distances, the lotteries, match list, etc.

I think either school will get the job done (unless you are heavily focused on research and KCUMB is not). Sure maybe the MD school will give you the better opportunity to get into Derm, Plastics, Ophthalmology, Radiology, but remember, these fields are also VERY difficult for an MD applicant to get into (and will always require top scores). If you're not shooting for these fields, (which you can also get into from D.O school - I know a D.O in plastics in CA, a D.O in Derm in NY -- both had MD residencies) go to the school that best suits what you were looking for in the first place.

Thanks again for all the replies! It is great to be able to get advice from so many people.

Okay, here's the deal. The MD degree would be ideal for any future career plans, BUT med school is rough. Being away from family, friends, boyfriend makes it a bit rougher. Have you lived away from home before? You have to decide what's more important. My boyfriend (of several years) and I did the long distance thing for half of the year first year and I have to tell you that it was miserable. Even though we did the long distance thing a few years ago for a year, this time, it was brutal because of med school. But that's my experience. Other people do long distance in med school and deal just fine. You have to decide what type of person you are.

As for your DO choice, KCUMB is a great school. They have an impressive match list every year in every field, so I'd say you'll be good no matter where you go.

Good luck!

Devil's Advocate:

1. Med school isn't 3-5 at Leavenworth. Most medical schools have at least two summers, and students have time off for holidays. One can arrange away rotations during M4 (and sometimes M3).

2. If you have never lived away from home then for God's sake, take the opportunity to do so. Cut the apron strings and expand your horizons a bit. Live somewhere new, have new experiences, make new friends. You won't have very many opportunities to do this in your life.

3. Do not factor your boyfriend into the decision. Spouse yes, fiance yes, boyfriend you're still getting to know: no. It's a recipe for failure and resentment.

4. Med school is rough, but it's also intense and goes by fairly quickly. It's four years, but more weight should be given to the many decades that will follow. Take the long view in planning your career.

I haven't really lived away before. I went to undergrad that was a little over 3 hours away, but that is it. I do see the benefits of living somewhere different and having new experiences.

Does KCUMB have a blog site or an email address where you could pose this question to current students? I know a lot of incoming classes have these set up to pose questions. Maybe not pose it to them in terms of, "Should I go MD," but ask about the rotation sites and distances, the lotteries, match list, etc.

That is a good idea. I did talk to some current students and they all stated that some rotations are great and others aren't. Most people seem to get one of their top choices, but sometimes it doesn't work like that. It just depends on the demand that year. I might email a few other people and get some other opinions.

That is a good idea. I did talk to some current students and they all stated that some rotations are great and others aren't. Most people seem to get one of their top choices, but sometimes it doesn't work like that.

Here is where it gets tricky. Your residency prospects are going to be determined by a number of things, but the two most important are your Step 1 score and the strength of your clinical experience during M3.

M3 clerkships at allopathic schools are pretty standardized by the LCME. You can expect to be in an affiliated hospital with volume and variety sufficient to support ACGME-accredited residency programs. There will be a lean towards inpatient medicine. It is pretty easy for an MD residency program director to look at your transcript, your LORs, and your Step 1 score and pass preliminary judgement.

Osteopathic schools do not have such strict standardization, and therefore you may or may not have an experience comparable to the allopathic M3 year. In areas of the country where osteopathic medical education is common and familiar, this is somewhat mitigated. You may find yourself with more emphasis on outpatient medicine, which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your goals.

All this simply means you should be very careful in evaluating the M3 curriculum of any school you might attend. Good luck with your decision.