Decisive question here....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong to mention in a secondary prompt that you believe that healthcare is a human right?

Part of me thinks that's okay. Part of me thinks that's too political/controversial.

I'm not necessarily asking if you think competent medical care is actually a right and something that everyone deserves - even though, I'd love to discuss that - I'm simply asking if that's not appropriate for a secondary prompt that is asking about previous experiences with underserved populations.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it wrong to mention in a secondary prompt that you believe that healthcare is a human right?

Part of me thinks that's okay. Part of me thinks that's too political/controversial.

I'm not necessarily asking if you think competent medical care is actually a right and something that everyone deserves - even though, I'd love to discuss that - I'm simply asking if that's not appropriate for a secondary prompt that is asking about previous experiences with underserved populations.

It's not very controversial or political, but the statement, in and of itself, doesn't really say or mean much.

I'd focus on the prompt of the essay and steer clear of any philosophizing.

"Decisive question here..."

You should learn how to make your titles accurately summarize the content of your posts.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So edgy. You have a very unique opinion on the matter.

It's OK. Be prepared to defend that at interviews though.

Reactions: 1 user
Be prepared to defend yourself with the question: Does that mean doctors have the duty to work for free, not form unions?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it's controversial. It's a position not everyone agrees with, so there is controversy, but it's not an out-there idea like "human sacrifice probably cures the common cold".

I would focus on answering the question in the secondary directly. If taking a position on this question does that, go ahead, and, like others said, have a rational defense prepared

Be prepared to defend yourself with the question: Does that mean doctors have the duty to work for free, not form unions?

Do doctors even have the right to organize? Never heard of union representation for doctors in the states.

"Decisive question here..."

You should learn how to make your titles accurately summarize the content of your posts.

Clearly OP works for Buzzfeed

Reactions: 2 users
Do doctors even have the right to organize? Never heard of union representation for doctors in the states.
I believe they can in the UK. For the states (taken from the Union of American Physicians and Dentists) "Private Practice Doctors can join a labor union as individuals, but they are prohibited by law from bargaining collectively over their salary, benefits, or working conditions....Salaried doctors have the right to join a labor union and bargain collectively over their salary, benefits, and working conditions. This includes doctors directly employed by state or county agencies, as well as by private employers."