Declining admission at a school after you sent deposit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctk668

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently got into my first choice school and sent in my deposit/ paperwork and eveything, which i am trilled about.

But i already sent in my deposit to another school when they accepted me 3 months ago.

Should i notify them that i am longer attending? How should i go about this? Call the admissions office? Email?

I wouldnt feel right, not notifying them because that is a seat that i am taking up at their school, which they could give to someone else. And the earlier they notify that other person the better.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call simply because the back and forth of emails takes so long (or maybe I'm just impatient?).

I agree. You should give them a call. Thank the school for the offer and say that although the deposit has already been submitted you won't be attending the program this Fall. Make sure you call Admissions at the PT department and not the University's Admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok. Thanks for the help everyone.

yeah...I hate to say it, but schools do this deposit thing partly to get money. Even though the school is losing you, they are keeping your deposit, so don't feel too bad about it...