Declining away- ruin my chances at a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bertMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to two away rotations for the same month. Is declining an away rotation pretty much kissing my chances goodbye for an interview at whichever of the two programs I decline? Any anecodotes? I like them both, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. I had the same situation and was pretty sure I eliminated my chances for the cancelled place. Turns out, I did get an interview, loved it, and matched there.

I'm in the exact same situation. (I'm 3rd year DO apply for MD residency fyi) I was freaking out about not getting rotation in August so I applied for multiple positions. The two I have recently been accepted to are very different and I am having a very hard time deciding which to select. I go to school in the midwest, but all things being equal would love to train in a different geographical location. One of the programs I was selected to takes students from my school each year and has track record of taking lots of DO students. The other program I honestly do not know much about other than what's written on forums on SDN and what's on there website. I have no connections at all but it is in a city I would love to live in and don't want to sell myself short by not taking a risk and going for it. Any advice on how to handle this. (You can PM me if you want more details to help you give me some sort of constructive answer). All in all I guess it's a good problem to have I just don't want to piss off whichever program I choose not to go to for one of my sway's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted to two away rotations for the same month. Is declining an away rotation pretty much kissing my chances goodbye for an interview at whichever of the two programs I decline? Any anecodotes? I like them both, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Posted this somewhere else but here's my anecdote.
Applied for 3 aways. Went on one, dropped the other two. Matched at the one I went on (which was the goal, so yay there), did get an interview at one of the dropped places, did not get an interview at the other place I dropped.

So my guess is that it's program dependent. The place I did not go to and subsequently didn't get an interview was at Denver health FWIW.

probably just depends on the place. I dropped one ("scheduling difficulties blah blah blah") and still got an interview there.

I really wonder whether anyone but admin staff even sees who declines an away. Obviously this would be program dependent but I just can't really see residency directors taking the time out of their day to check up on who declined an away and who didn't. There are plenty of anecdotes on here like Highway61's so I doubt declining one can have too much of a negative impact.

I really wonder whether anyone but admin staff even sees who declines an away. Obviously this would be program dependent but I just can't really see residency directors taking the time out of their day to check up on who declined an away and who didn't. There are plenty of anecdotes on here like Highway61's so I doubt declining one can have too much of a negative impact.

Our Clerkship Director is one of the selection committee and ALWAYS reports who declined or cancelled. While it won't necessarily tank your application, at our program at least it will move you to the B List of invitations.

I declined an invitation and still received an interview "on time" with the rest of my classmates that applied to the program. I think it depends on who reviews the applications, if its just secretaries/administrative assistants vs. faculty.