Declining Medical School Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pennies124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to one of my top choice medical schools and received an interview at a school that I probably would not attend over my current acceptance. But there is one factor that may persuade me - financial aid.

Is it worth attending the interview to see if the financial aid package would be better? Or the fact that I like my current acceptance more is enough to decline the interview invite? Any advice on this topic would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been accepted to one of my top choice medical schools and received an interview at a school that I probably would not attend over my current acceptance. But there is one factor that may persuade me - financial aid.

Is it worth attending the interview to see if the financial aid package would be better? Or the fact that I like my current acceptance more is enough to decline the interview invite? Any advice on this topic would be great.
If you would consider attending that school if it offered you money, then yes you should attend the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
It's probably still worth it to go if you're trying to bilk your top choice school out of more $.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted to my top pick, and right now I have 1 more interview lined up. However, this interview is at my state school so it costs me maybe $10 in gas to attend it. If it was elsewhere, I would cancel. I had an interview at another school farther away and I did cancel that.

I withdrew my app from all other schools that have yet to give me any sort of interview decision.

In your situation, if you think you'll ever attend said school (financial aid package as a factor), go. If not, then save the money and time.

I was recently accepted to my top pick, and right now I have 1 more interview lined up. However, this interview is at my state school so it costs me maybe $10 in gas to attend it. If it was elsewhere, I would cancel. I had an interview at another school farther away and I did cancel that.

I withdrew my app from all other schools that have yet to give me any sort of interview decision.

In your situation, if you think you'll ever attend said school (financial aid package as a factor), go. If not, then save the money and time.
I just wonder if I did get accepted at said school and get a better financial aid package if I could leverage it at the school I like more.

I don't know if you could leverage, as far as I know you can't. But the schools do get to see where else you've been accepted and from there can decide how much to offer you as incentive.