Defer and reapply to top choice school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knight123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I gained admission to my second choice school, but was rejected at my top choice post interview. I am thinking of deferring at the school I was accepted to and reapply to my top choice school. What are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not do this.

Rejecting admission to medical school and reapplying is a major red flag to admissions committees. There is also no guarantee that your first choice school will accept you the second time around. You may wind up with zero acceptances next year. Go to your second choice school. You may discover that you love it.

Reactions: 2 users
What you're suggesting would be like hitting on a 20 hoping to get an ace. It is a bad idea.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, if you defer matriculation they make you sign the equivalent of a non-compete agreement that prevents you from applying to other medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just only apply to your top choice if you are going to turn down #2 just so you can go to #1? It doesn't make much sense to apply to a school that you aren't going to go to. Ya know??

Reactions: 1 users
docbsb2015, he/she probably did it to have options. Its a tough choice. Do you think you would dread going to your second choice?

docbsb2015, he/she probably did it to have options. Its a tough choice. Do you think you would dread going to your second choice?
Exactly, you do it to have options. You got into your second choice…that's a pretty nice problem to have. Basically what I was stating was that it is a big mistake to turn down an acceptance just because it is not your first choice. You might as well have just applied to your top choice if you turn down your #2.

Reactions: 1 user
you can't defer your acceptance and reapply. generally a deferral of a med school acceptance is given on a case by case basis and is there for individuals who might be having family issues, health issues, or have to finish up a commitment.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel in love with my first choice when I interviewed there.

Has anyone been in a similar position and had to make the same choice?

I think this is a legitimate question but misses the point of medical schools. OP, if I were you I will take the second choice and run away with it. Because like others have said, MED school is a lottery and there is no guarantee. Also, I can say that you are not far off because second choice and first choice are almost the same!

Also, you will get the same medical education at any US program (as stipulated by Abraham Flexner et al). So many arguments for taking the second choice. And there is the question of whether one can defer and apply again. Also, even if you fell in love with your no. 1, seems like they did not reciprocate and to me this is important. Med school is like dating and I will take an average chic that likes me than a diva that does not care about me! Hope that helps!

I gained admission to my second choice school, but was rejected at my top choice post interview. I am thinking of deferring at the school I was accepted to and reapply to my top choice school. What are your thoughts on this?

You cannot do this. Deferrals are for specific reasons. Reapplying is not one of them. The only thing you can do is decline the acceptance. This would be a monumental mistake and pretty much sink any chance of attending ANY medical school, let alone your top choice.

If you had no desire to attend the school that accepted you, you should have withdrawn post interview. At least at that you could still legitimately reapply without the glaring red flag of a declined acceptance.

Medical school is not a love match. Even if it were, love the one you're with.
This. It's a bad idea, OP. You know that. And five years from now, will you really still care about where you went to medical school? Don't let all those d*** trees block you from seeing the forest here. You've won the game. Time to stop playing.

You must not want to be a doctor, because this is a great way to terminate your medical career, short of shooting a Dean.

Reactions: 7 users
And guess what, they didn't love you back. Move on, any other option reeks of desperation. Besides, practically speaking it won't work. Listen to the wise advice of all the other posters in this thread (many of whom are actually on admissions committees)

Why not just only apply to your top choice if you are going to turn down #2 just so you can go to #1? It doesn't make much sense to apply to a school that you aren't going to go to. Ya know??

My thoughts exactly.

Look, I would just take the 2nd choice and run with it. I really don't think you'll regret it in the future. I think it's crazy you're wanting to do otherwise!

Stupid, stupid, stupid, greedy. You decline acceptance you will never get in anywhere else.

And guess what, they didn't love you back. Move on, any other option reeks of desperation. Besides, practically speaking it won't work. Listen to the wise advice of all the other posters in this thread (many of whom are actually on admissions committees)
Agreed 100%. One-side love never works. OP will end up go to the prom alone