Deferral & Reapplication Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to gain some advice on how to proceed with my current situation:

I originally applied to medical school during my senior year of college. I realized during the process that I was applying for all the wrong reasons and therefore thought it would be a good idea to take a year or two off to reasses my situation. After consulting with the health advisor at my university, she recommended that I finish the process and defer medical school for a year. This was based on the idea that one year might be enough for me to decide what I wanted. I therefore requested and was granted a one year deferral to my state school, a perfectly good school but one that I am not thrilled about attending. I spent my last year working as a healthcare consultant and from this job, I realized that medicine IS something that I want to do. More specifically, I have been looking into MD/MBA programs as I have learned a great deal about the hospital revenue cycle and billing. I want to, however, finish out my two years at my company as to gain a bit more work experience before I head back to school. I am also hoping that I can do a bit better this time in the application process. Now the question is, will withdrawing from a school that I originally deferred and then reapplying again reflect negatively on my application the second time around? And should I even apply to my state school the second time around? Or is this really a take it and leave it situation where if I don't go to med school this year, I won't ever be able to go?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could prove some insight. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.