Deferring admission due to financial interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at Barry on Dec. 7th. Putting the cart before the horse- if I'm offered an acceptance, has anyone heard of a deferral for financial reasons? I currently teach high school physics and make a decent salary. My living situation is such that I don't have to pay rent or utilities (no, I don't live with my parents). If I can work at my current job for one more year I can put away a lot of money to cover living expenses for almost the first two years of school, given that I've already saved a ton.

Would this be a reasonable request? Or might I be better served finding an alternative explanation for my request?

Members don't see this ad.

If you decide to go that route,you may want to wait for an acceptance first. If you don't get accepted you'd have to take the year off anyways so no foul no harm. If you are, I don't know if it guarantees acceptance next year. They have waitlisted people who they will give your seat too. Now, if you got in now then you could probably get in again so you may be more confident going into the new cycle, but the main point is that it isn't guaranteed. You can certainly ask but without actually being enrolled in the program, I don't think they'll consider a request like that but that's just my opinion. You'll have to ask, after an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me if I wasn't clear, but that was the point. If, offered acceptwnce- would a deferral for financial reasons be reasonable?
That sounds completely reasonable to me, but I also have no idea how deferred admissions work. After you're accepted, call Barry and let them know what your situation is.

Forgive me if I wasn't clear, but that was the point. If, offered acceptwnce- would a deferral for financial reasons be reasonable?
Damn, I missed that part lol. But still the same, just going to have to ask afterwards. Let them know your situation and what can be done.