Define "Emergency Medicine"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In responding on the "UA Interpretation" thread, I realized, "Wait a minute, I think I just defined EM in a nutshell" in one, albeit very long, sentence.

Emergency Medicine-

"A high-stress, high-pace, high-risk specialty where you get only one shot at patients in very brief encounters with incomplete information sets, where you'll be judged with 20/20 hindsight in a 'zero miss' culture that expects boutique-level customer service for non-emergencies, despite time-, space-, and finance-limited resources."

I could define it countless ways, but how do you define Emergency Medicine, in one sentence?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So negative you are.

How about: The best job in medicine-$300-400K for 120 hours a month of proving anxious people aren't sick, trying to bring the dead back to life, and occasionally making a real difference while working with some of the greatest people you'll ever meet.

Reactions: 11 users
I like BS's way better...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"The initial evaluation and treatment of acute onset life or limb threatening medical or surgical conditions which commonly involves the resuscitation and stabilization of critically ill patients."

I don’t don’t care what ACEP says, probably 90+% of what most EDs see on a daily basis is not anywhere close to being considered a true “emergency” using the above definition.

Then again, you don’t really even need a sentence to define EM.

Its EMERGENCY! not emergency?

(just my opinion for whatever that's worth)

"The initial evaluation and treatment of acute onset life or limb threatening medical or surgical conditions which commonly involves the resuscitation and stabilization of critically ill patients."

I don’t don’t care what ACEP says, probably 90+% of what most EDs see on a daily basis is not anywhere close to being considered a true “emergency” using the above definition.

Then again, you don’t really even need a sentence to define EM.

Its EMERGENCY! not emergency?

(just my opinion for whatever that's worth)

it's actually "emergency"