Degree in Animal Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaceanne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What will a degree in Animal Science give me in post-grad job opportunities? Is this a good major to have? I'm thinking of switching from a biology major to an Animal Science major. The reason I am making this change is because I'm currently a pre-med but after volunteering at an animal shelter, I think my passions may lie more torwards being a veterinarian.

Members don't see this ad.

Important thing to know is that it really doesn't matter what you major in--you could even major in art if you wanted to, and you would still be able to apply to vet school as long as you make sure to get all the necessary prerequisites out of the way too (which vary from school to school, but of course typically include a lot of bio and chemistry courses). You would have to look up the specific prerequisites for whichever school(s) you are planning on applying to.

Also, if you are interested in vet med as an option, you'll definitely want to look into shadowing with a veterinarian in order to start getting an idea of what the profession entails! Animal shelter volunteering is good, but unless you were directly volunteering with a shelter VET it doesn't really tell you much about veterinary medicine, just animal care. As many people here will tell you, it's important to take the decision to pursue vet med into deep consideration, because vets face a very high debt-to-income ratio compared to human medicine, so if you would be equally happy doing either than it's financially better to stick to med. You could definitely continue doing shelter/animal volunteer work whilst pursuing med school, too.

As for the main question, I have a degree in animal science. I chose it because the coursework was more interesting to me than a regular Biology degree, and still involved many of the same biology classes. While I can't speak for everyone, I have been able to apply for a wide range of animal-related jobs and internships (since they typically require a degree in Bio, Zoology, or any similar animal/life-science related field). I actually just got accepted to one internship at an aquarium which I will be undertaking this summer. You'd also be eligible for careers in various fields of agriculture. Here's a nice general overview I found of some career examples that would be available with this degree: https://asas.org/membership-services/member-information/career-information/animal-science-careers

Reactions: 1 user
Important thing to know is that it really doesn't matter what you major in--you could even major in art if you wanted to, and you would still be able to apply to vet school as long as you make sure to get all the necessary prerequisites out of the way too (which vary from school to school, but of course typically include a lot of bio and chemistry courses). You would have to look up the specific prerequisites for whichever school(s) you are planning on applying to.

Also, if you are interested in vet med as an option, you'll definitely want to look into shadowing with a veterinarian in order to start getting an idea of what the profession entails! Animal shelter volunteering is good, but unless you were directly volunteering with a shelter VET it doesn't really tell you much about veterinary medicine, just animal care. As many people here will tell you, it's important to take the decision to pursue vet med into deep consideration, because vets face a very high debt-to-income ratio compared to human medicine, so if you would be equally happy doing either than it's financially better to stick to med. You could definitely continue doing shelter/animal volunteer work whilst pursuing med school, too.

As for the main question, I have a degree in animal science. I chose it because the coursework was more interesting to me than a regular Biology degree, and still involved many of the same biology classes. While I can't speak for everyone, I have been able to apply for a wide range of animal-related jobs and internships (since they typically require a degree in Bio, Zoology, or any similar animal/life-science related field). I actually just got accepted to one internship at an aquarium which I will be undertaking this summer. You'd also be eligible for careers in various fields of agriculture. Here's a nice general overview I found of some career examples that would be available with this degree: https://asas.org/membership-services/member-information/career-information/animal-science-careers

Thank you for the post and article. This has given me some major insight to think on. And yes, I would be equally happy to have a career in human medicine or animal medicine but you're right, I haven't shadowed a vet. I only saw what they did indirectly and I show probably shadow a vet first before I think about switching majors so soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I think Biology gives you a broader assortment of more fruitful employment options (if you don't want to go to vet school), BUT if going to vet school is what you want to do when you graduate then any major will suffice -just do well :p

Reactions: 3 users
Don't feel like you have to switch from biology to animal science just for vet school. I'm a biochemistry and molecular biology major, and I'm going to (hopefully) go to vet school. By not switching, you'll get a broad range of opportunities if you decide to not do vet med.

That being said, animal science is a great degree, but don't feel like you HAVE to switch. Vet schools accept all majors, as long as the pre requisites are filled. Diversity is good

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you are wavering between human and animal medicine, I would advise you to stick with Biology (even though I am extremely biased to the Animal Science degree). For me, Animal Science was a no-brainer because I knew even if I didn't go to vet school, I would still have a science-based career working directly with livestock. I am very attached to the ANS faculty at my school, and I LOVE the classwork.

However, in a situation like yours, sticking with Biology might be the best way to go. If you are on the fence about working with humans or animals, Biology will give you the best diversity of applicable careers in both human and animal fields. If you decided you definitely want to go into an animal related field, you still have the same opportunities as an Animal Science major. If you want to take a few Animal Science classes, many schools who offer majors also offer minors, so you could talk to one of your ANS faculty about that.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are wavering between human and animal medicine, I would advise you to stick with Biology (even though I am extremely biased to the Animal Science degree). For me, Animal Science was a no-brainer because I knew even if I didn't go to vet school, I would still have a science-based career working directly with livestock. I am very attached to the ANS faculty at my school, and I LOVE the classwork.

However, in a situation like yours, sticking with Biology might be the best way to go. If you are on the fence about working with humans or animals, Biology will give you the best diversity of applicable careers in both human and animal fields. If you decided you definitely want to go into an animal related field, you still have the same opportunities as an Animal Science major. If you want to take a few Animal Science classes, many schools who offer majors also offer minors, so you could talk to one of your ANS faculty about that.

I have to caution somewhat here. A bachelors degree in biology is pretty worthless unless you just want to be a lab tech. You would need to be prepared to also get a graduate degree, at least a masters and more likely a PhD, to be competitive.

Reactions: 5 users
I started ansci, switched to zoology, and then also got a microbiology/molecular genetics degree once I realized that zoology wasn't particularly useful.

I have to caution somewhat here. A bachelors degree in biology is pretty worthless unless you just want to be a lab tech. You would need to be prepared to also get a graduate degree, at least a masters and more likely a PhD, to be competitive.

My undergrad adviser stressed this exact point. A grad degree would be different, but an undergrad major in biology is pretty useless in terms of employment.

My undergrad adviser stressed this exact point. A grad degree would be different, but an undergrad major in biology is pretty useless in terms of employment.

It really sucks, too. We're all told that if we just go STEM we'll be okay. But it really isn't like that anymore, unfortunately. A few of the undergrads from my old lab wanted to go into the workforce as soon as they graduated, and those that did are working in lab tech positions for about 30K/yr. They were all surprised (and dismayed) by the low offers they were getting.

I think this is kind of a weird thing to say. If you're graduating with an UG degree with the hopes of eventually getting into vet school, a bio degree is just as good as many other related degrees. "Just being a lab tech" is what I did for 4 years after getting my UG degree in biology... and it also got me a great relationship with a lab animal vet, multiple co-authored publications, and a first author publication. I also got a decent paycheck, good work hours, unique experiences, etc and so on. I could easily have progressed to a lab manager position (if I hadn't instead applied to vet school) and honestly have the occasional day where I regret not doing that.
I feel like this is an overgeneralization. I mean almost any degree in this range of options (zoology, microbiology, biology, animal science) etc is pretty useless in terms of employment depending on what type of employment you're looking for. If the goal is to get into vet med, biology is great. And a bio degree can get you a job in a zoo, animal sanctuaries, field research, clinical research, labs, etc and so on.

Not really understanding all the hate on the biology undergrad degree. The only incredibly useful UG degrees I can think of are computer science and business.

I think this is kind of a weird thing to say. If you're graduating with an UG degree with the hopes of eventually getting into vet school, a bio degree is just as good as many other related degrees. "Just being a lab tech" is what I did for 4 years after getting my UG degree in biology... and it also got me a great relationship with a lab animal vet, multiple co-authored publications, and a first author publication. I also got a decent paycheck, good work hours, unique experiences, etc and so on. I could easily have progressed to a lab manager position (if I hadn't instead applied to vet school) and honestly have the occasional day where I regret not doing that.

I feel like this is an overgeneralization. I mean almost any degree in this range of options (zoology, microbiology, biology, animal science) etc is pretty useless in terms of employment depending on what type of employment you're looking for. If the goal is to get into vet med, biology is great. And a bio degree can get you a job in a zoo, animal sanctuaries, field research, clinical research, labs, etc and so on.

Not really understanding all the hate on the biology undergrad degree. The only incredibly useful UG degrees I can think of are computer science and business.
I think WTF's point was that if you decide to not go into vet school, a biology won't open doors to as many careers as you might think. I think this is important to tell UG students because I erroneously thought that I could get a 50k job out of college with a bio degree if I didn't go to vet school. I've worked as a research tech and I liked it so I'm not saying anything negative about being a tech but it should be known that aside from that position your job opportunities will be limited.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think WTF's point was that if you decide to not go into vet school, a biology won't open doors to as many careers as you might think. I think this is important to tell UG students because I erroneously thought that I could get a 50k job out of college with a bio degree if I didn't go to vet school. I've worked as a research tech and I liked it so I'm not saying anything negative about being a tech but it should be known that aside from that position your job opportunities will be limited.

I guess I was never under any sort of illusions about the payscale of bio jobs available straight from undergrad, and I really can't imagine that being much different between any of the biology-related majors (zoology, animal science, etc). . And honestly I don't know who told you that you'd be able to start at 50K with a bio degree because that just sounds like poor advice from whoever is telling students that. Personally I don't think starting at 32K straight from undergrad is a poor paying job. I had 40K in loans (~$500/month in loan payments), and I made enough with that to pay rent, eat out when I wanted to, see movies, go on vacations, and still save up about $10K in the 4 years I worked (32-36K/year). It's about on par with a lot of other majors, and more hireable that some. Now, it's not going to come close to the big hitters of computer science, marketing, business, etc, but a bio degree would qualify you for most entry level bio-related jobs. Shrug. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

This.

I also worked technician jobs all through college and vet school, lab animal and research both. I learned a lot and made a lot of good connections. I did not intend to sound like I was ****ting on tech jobs. My point was that we spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a college education for a 32K salary. Which may support a single person in a low-income area, but things get dicey in larger cities or for people with families. I could go on and on about the ****hole that is college education right now, but y'all would probably get bored halfway through it. Needless to say, if I ever have kids, I will be encouraging them to go to a trade school.

Additionally, if you are fine being a bio lab technician, then great. But I have a feeling that most people who go to college to get a science degree have their eyes set on something bigger than that, and are then blindsided by lack of jobs, lack of jobs with significant upward mobility, and the need to pursue additional schooling. They are not expecting it.

This.

I also worked technician jobs all through college and vet school, lab animal and research both. I learned a lot and made a lot of good connections. I did not intend to sound like I was ****ting on tech jobs. My point was that we spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a college education for a 32K salary. Which may support a single person in a low-income area, but things get dicey in larger cities or for people with families. I could go on and on about the ****hole that is college education right now, but y'all would probably get bored halfway through it. Needless to say, if I ever have kids, I will be encouraging them to go to a trade school.

Additionally, if you are fine being a bio lab technician, then great. But I have a feeling that most people who go to college to get a science degree have their eyes set on something bigger than that, and are then blindsided by lack of jobs, lack of jobs with significant upward mobility, and the need to pursue additional schooling. They are not expecting it.
I get the point, and honestly part of what you're discussing is why I ended up pursuing vet school. But I wasn't disillusioned about my prospects with a bio UG degree and I think if people are, that is a fault of their UG advisers who should really be doing a better job explaining the career prospects. Honestly a masters won't get you that far in the research field either, it's more of a bonus to a clinical doctorate or specialized work, and a PhD seems to condemn you to a life of grant writing, unless again it's in combination with something else.

Just a final note, I was living in Minneapolis-St. Paul with my 32K so not exactly in the middle of the boonies. And a lot of the problem I think is that NIH payscale doesn't really take into account cost of living variances by location. So my 32K went a lot further than someone who lives in NYC. But now we're totally off topic...

Well I guess the question is, what is the salary outlook (entry level and trajectory) with an animal science degree? And are these the types of jobs OP's interested in? And are these jobs available in the area OP may want to live in?

It's true, bio degrees don't go as far as they used to. The point I was trying to convey was that a bio degree would be more versatile if she's interested in doing something human heath related compared to animal science. Of course you can still go into human health fields with a degree in Animal Science, but as far as coursework is concerned, Bio is definitely more human focused (at least at my current institution).

My main point was simply that Bio degrees can be easily applied toward med school and vet school, while animal science leans more toward preparing you for vet school or agriculture related fields. Sorry for the confusion :)

Reactions: 1 users
I started ansci, switched to zoology, and then also got a microbiology/molecular genetics degree once I realized that zoology wasn't particularly useful.
Truth. Looooved the degree and my program, but its completely true that there are only a small handful of careers that actually want a zoology degree. Granted, I would have actually been okay zookeeping (twas my backup), but I also didn't have any undergrad debt.

I had an oceanography/earth science degree with two minors in marine biology and natural resources. Just get the prerequisites done and take classes you like/find interesting/can do well in.