Degree Worthwhile??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amgen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm n pharmacy but I don't want to end up in retail and I really want to get into industry. Is it worth finishing my undergrad degree which was life science? Or advice on if I make any changes to my major in my undergrad that would make it worthwhile? Would getting a MSc later be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
meh, the only people I knew that finished off their degree were those that did 3 years so they could have the extra letters. I'm only aware of one person that took a summer course to finish their 3 year degree.

In my opinion, not worth it to take a year's worth of extra courses to finish a life sci degree if you're going to get a pharmacy degree anyway.

Talk to your friends, certainly at least some of them are in the same position.

Members don't see this ad :)
any advice from any where is welcome :D

I mentioned Canada, Ontario because of the recent elimination of professional fees here and the fact that we get a BSc Phm rather than a Pharm.D.

I am really hoping to do a MSc or MBA in the future but I am worried that I won't be able to get into grad school with a BSc Phm. What types of grad programs would accept pharmacy students?

thanks

if you dont need a pharmd to practice, then do not bother with getting it. it isn't worth it, you just waste money.

if you dont need a pharmd to practice, then do not bother with getting it. it isn't worth it, you just waste money.

Refreshingly positive. :thumbup: You are not even addressing the question, but way to keep crapping on the profession dude. :thumbup:

I would say it is not worth completing a life science degree if being a pharmacist is what you want to do, but without knowing more about the Canadian academic culture, you should really take my advice with a grain of salt.

Does Canada really have its own unique academic culture different to the American version??

I assume that their school system is at least somewhat different than ours. But I was just throwing it out there that I have on experience with the Canadian system, that's all.

What sorts of graduate programs can you apply to with a BScPhm/Entry PharmD?

Does Canada really have its own unique academic culture different to the American version??

Depends where in Canada you are. It's sort of a hybrid of British colonial education with the American system (gap year is very rare in Canada from what I understand), although a lot of the terminology mimics what is used in Britain.

In Quebec things are completely different. Similar to the French system which, from what I understand, consists of taking month long vacations every other week and protesting random inconsequential laws (kidding). They have something called CEGEP over there, which seems like the vocational high schools prevalent in France. They're done with "high school" when they're 16 and then head of to "College" for further training. I have cousins my age in Quebec and I have no idea what the hell they're doing.

I know someone who had a pharmacy degree from a Russian university that got into a PhD program in molecular biology at USC School of Pharmacy. Your best bet is to contact various MS programs across Canada and the US to see if they would accept you as a student.

Depends where in Canada you are. It's sort of a hybrid of British colonial education with the American system (gap year is very rare in Canada from what I understand), although a lot of the terminology mimics what is used in Britain.

In Quebec things are completely different. Similar to the French system which, from what I understand, consists of taking month long vacations every other week and protesting random inconsequential laws (kidding). They have something called CEGEP over there, which seems like the vocational high schools prevalent in France. They're done with "high school" when they're 16 and then head of to "College" for further training. I have cousins my age in Quebec and I have no idea what the hell they're doing.

lol

does anyone know how to get into a MFin or MBA program after a pharmd? it seems like they all require a finance related undergrad program, is there a way around this? or does anyone know somebody who managed to get into a business type grad program from phM?

thanks

does anyone know how to get into a MFin or MBA program after a pharmd? it seems like they all require a finance related undergrad program, is there a way around this? or does anyone know somebody who managed to get into a business type grad program from phM?

thanks

This probably varies widely, but I know there are MBA programs that don't require any pre-reqs whatsoever.

This probably varies widely, but I know there are MBA programs that don't require any pre-reqs whatsoever.

ya but those aren't really worth the $.

Has anyone in pharm ever pursued a career related in finance or industry and would like to share?