Delay MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillasky123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT in August and I've been studying hard for 2 months. However, after doing practice tests and questions, I'm not hitting my target score and feel that I have a general huge content gap that is preventing me from scoring well. My practice tests are in the 27-30 range. I want to delay my MCAT until November or Jan but I am starting a rigorous SMP in August and I don't know if I will have time to study or focus on it. I don't want to take the 2015 MCAT because I haven't taken most of the additional classes but I also don't know if taking the MCAT during my SMP year is a good idea. Should I just take it in August and accept whatever score I get? or should I delay until November/Jan?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I was in your shoes many times and I moved my test three times, I would recommend that if you haven't got a score you're okay with on individual sections 2x + on practice I would move it. I just took mine In Your situation and did fine but then it becomes a little bit more based on luck of the draw. The urgency of the changing test definitely adds stress

I would just take it, you've been studying, and you're saying you won't have an opportunity to have this kind of optimum free time again until your SMP is over. I feel like time as a resource is the single most important thing for MCAT studying and for keeping stress down. If you don't like your score you can always retake in January or November.

how detrimental would a score below 30 be though? even coupled with a higher retake? I just already have enough issues on my application and I don't want this to be another potential red flag

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your goals. If you are OK with a high 20s score take the exam. if not, you have alot of work left and may need to move the exam back. Your Aamc averages are highly indicative of your actual score.

Reactions: 1 user