Delay my MCAT until January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed89757

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry about the length of my post but I am having a panic attack now (hence being up at 5:45am)...

My original plan was to study over the summer for my MCAT that was on Aug 21st, and I took a Kaplan course for it. However, I was overshooting my ability and were doing too many things (sports+volunteer+2 research projects) and really did not have as much time to study as I wanted. Therefore I decided to push back my test and give myself another two months to study.

Now staring at a little more than a month to until test day, I realized I spent most of my time reviewing the content ineffectively and am still feel uncomfortable with the material and have only taken two full length practice exams (including my diagnostic). I did a few of the topical tests and scoring an average of ~63% on those.

My diagnostic score is a 25 total with (VR: 8; PS: 7; BS: 10) and my first full length was a 24 (VR: 6; PS: 9; BS: 9). This is no where near my goal score (I was really shooting for a 34-36) and I felt that I most likely would have to retake the exam if I take it on Oct. 21st.

Should I just stick with the test date and crank through it since I've already wasted my money and effort during the summer. Is it too early to tell ? Should I wait and see after a few more AAMC practice tests? The Gold Zone is September 22nd.

If I should wait, should I risk not being able to retake the old MCAT and register for one of the very last exams they offer in January?

Thank you for reading through all of that...please let me know what you think! Any inputs are deeply appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do not feel ready to take the exam. I would not take it. I would decide quickly before spots fill up. You not be able to take if it there are no seat. My state ran out.

Take in November no question. This could give you an opportunity to re-take at one of the last test dates of old MCAT in January. I think you can get 30 by then with your scores if you study hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take in November no question. This could give you an opportunity to re-take at one of the last test dates of old MCAT in January. I think you can get 30 by then with your scores if you study hard.

Good idea, I think I might do this since I'm nearly 100% sure I'm voiding my exam tomorrow.

I advocate taking it frequently and often. Read my only post here. Consider Khan Academy MCAT. It's coproduced by AAMC. I have only studied the Physical Procsses section. It's a the depth needd for the MCAT PS section as far as the physics. I think it may lack in genchem aspects.

Drill all the AAMC practice tests.