Delayed entry? Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_Jack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been going back and forth with this for awhile. Recently I was accepted into a DPT program, but there's one BIG problem, I was accepted with A LOT of uncompleted prerequisites. I wont name the school, but I've been wondering how this even happened. I was excited when I got the letter but that lasted about one minute when I realized how many classes I needed to take. I emailed one of the advisors who told me she was aware of the number of classes I had to take and that I needed to come up with a plan for completion and that would determine whether or not I could start in the fall. Note: This school has a fall only start. I planned to take some courses during the spring semester, but had a problem finding a community college that would accept my college science courses. My interview was during the spring semester so the interviewers knew I hadn't taken any additional courses (I took some of the other required prerequisites during the fall). A few weeks ago I had a meeting with an advisor at another community college who told me that he would place me in whatever classes I needed because he knew I had been accepted to the program. Problem is, he's pretty much saying there's no way I could finish all these courses by this fall. So here's my question, Is there a such this as delayed entry for physical therapy school or do you think I'll be asked to reapply? I'm a little confused by all of this, I haven't been able to get in contact with the advisor since then. I guess I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked at online options? This is going to sound crazy but I enrolled in 2 separate community colleges last year to complete the credits I needed. I had to do this because it was more than maximum credits at 1 school. (This was a summer semester too so accelerated schedule). It was tough but doable. I figure not more instense than PT school itself. I studied about 8 hours a day every day but it all worked out. I would consider doing something crazy like that VS jeopardize your chance.

I considered doing that but most of the prerequisites I need are science classes with labs so online is pretty much out. I also considered trying to enroll in two different schools. Just out of curiousity, how many courses did you have to take?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to retake pretty much everything again since all of my courses were too old to count. That particular summer, I took 7 classes. But this was the summer before I was applying. My gpa was very low so I waited to submit my app until gated my summer classes.

Does your school specifically have a no online lab thing? Surprisingly, a few of my schools did not have that restriction on all the classes.

. So here's my question, Is there a such this as delayed entry for physical therapy school or do you think I'll be asked to reapply? I'm a little confused by all of this, I haven't been able to get in contact with the advisor since then. I guess I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out.

First I'm surprised they accepted you with that many outstanding pre-requisites, but second they will almost certainly force you to re-apply if the program only matriculates in the fall. At my school we matriculate three times a year so it wouldn't be a problem but most schools are not going to hold your seat. Do well in those classes and re-apply to the same school. To make an a fortiori argument here, if they accepted you this year, what makes you think they won't accept you when you have a completed application?

Is it possible they will let you matriculate without completing those courses?! That would be sweet :cool: How many additional pre-req courses do you need? If you need to take more than 3 courses, I would suggest asking the DPT program to defer your admission until next fall so you have a year to complete all outstanding courses. Not to mention, but you will have guaranteed admission without going through the entire application process again, and possibly no re-application fees. If you can't get in touch with the advisor, email the chair of the program or director of admissions committee. Good luck!