Delivered my child! How to bring it up in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abolt18

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I had the most amazing opportunity to deliver my own child (I'm grateful my wife let me do it). I simply talked to our OB a few months before she got here and he said he'd be happy to stand by me and walk me through it. Long story short, I did it, I loved it, and I have to say it was the best day of my life (not just because I got to catch my baby girl)!

So as the title clearly explains, I'm looking for suggestions on how/when I could bring this up in an interview? I feel it could set me apart, not necessarily as a more qualified applicant, but more of just something unique. It's not really something you can list in your EC's can you? Does anyone have any ideas of how this could be brought up in a non-awkward or random way during an interview? For example, how it could be associated with the any of the Big 3 questions? Or any other common questions. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Two weeks ago, I had the most amazing opportunity to deliver my own child (I'm grateful my wife let me do it). I simply talked to our OB a few months before she got here and he said he'd be happy to stand by me and walk me through it. Long story short, I did it, I loved it, and I have to say it was the best day of my life (not just because I got to catch my baby girl)!

So as the title clearly explains, I'm looking for suggestions on how/when I could bring this up in an interview? I feel it could set me apart, not necessarily as a more qualified applicant, but more of just something unique. It's not really something you can list in your EC's can you? Does anyone have any ideas of how this could be brought up in a non-awkward or random way during an interview? For example, how it could be associated with the any of the Big 3 questions? Or any other common questions. Any help is appreciated!

If they ask you for a unique experience or if there was an experience that solidified your love/passion for medicine. I was asked the tell me something unique/ what do you like to do? You could bring it up in a light-hearted way "usually my Tuesday's are spent catching up on Monday night football highlights, but last Tuesday I actually delivered my daughter"

if they ask you for a unique experience or if there was an experience that solidified your love/passion for medicine. I was asked the tell me something unique/ what do you like to do? You could bring it up in a light-hearted way "usually my tuesday's are spent catching up on monday night football highlights, but last tuesday i actually delivered my daughter"

lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know they don't like when students are "practicing" medicine without a license, like when students go to 3rd world countries and pull teeth and what not, I don't know how they would take this information. It may seem cool to you, but they might see it as irresponsible or something...

If they ask you for a unique experience or if there was an experience that solidified your love/passion for medicine. I was asked the tell me something unique/ what do you like to do? You could bring it up in a light-hearted way "usually my Tuesday's are spent catching up on Monday night football highlights, but last Tuesday I actually delivered my daughter"

Haha thanks for that.

I know they don't like when students are "practicing" medicine without a license, like when students go to 3rd world countries and pull teeth and what not, I don't know how they would take this information. It may seem cool to you, but they might see it as irresponsible or something...

I guess I can see that, but it's not like it was at home or something. The doctor was standing 2 inches from me telling me exactly what to do and would have stepped in if needs be. But I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'll have to be careful in the way I explain if they ask for more details.

"Could you tell us your weaknesses?" "I could, but let me tell you about this baby I delivered instead"

That's how.

I asked a friend of mine who is an interviewer what they think about this. They said you should only volunteer the information if it comes up semi-naturally. Some questions that would prompt this are "Tell us about something you did that you're proud of" or "Talk about a specific clinical experience". Some situations that don't fit this criteria are "Tell me about yourself" or "Why medicine?"

Don't force it.

I asked a friend of mine who is an interviewer what they think about this. They said you should only volunteer the information if it comes up semi-naturally. Some questions that would prompt this are "Tell us about something you did that you're proud of" or "Talk about a specific clinical experience". Some situations that don't fit this criteria are "Tell me about yourself" or "Why medicine?"

Don't force it.

Thanks a lot for this. It really helps!

"Could you tell us your weaknesses?" "I could, but let me tell you about this baby I delivered instead"

That's how.

That totally made me lol.

By the way abolt18, congrats on the baby girl. I don't know if she's your first, but I absolutely love my little girl!

Haha thanks for that.

I guess I can see that, but it's not like it was at home or something. The doctor was standing 2 inches from me telling me exactly what to do and would have stepped in if needs be. But I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'll have to be careful in the way I explain if they ask for more details.

Not to hijack the thread, but statistically it is safer to give birth at home with an experienced care-giver than in a hospital. Yes, there are reasons for hospitals and things that can only happen there, but the overall rates of complications are much higher.

Full disclosure, I have had children born at home, in the hospital by a CNM, and via emergency c-section by an OB so I have seen the full scope of options. (Oh and a couple in villages in Africa that I wasn't present for but pretty confident no OB was around:D)

By the way abolt18, congrats on the baby girl. I don't know if she's your first, but I absolutely love my little girl!

+1. My little girl is my world. Congrats man. Best thing that will ever happen to you!

+1. My little girl is my world. Congrats man. Best thing that will ever happen to you!

Actually, it's all about having a baby boy. (At least until my wife and I have a girl.) My son turns 1y/o next week.

Thanks guys. I have to agree entirely! She is my first and hopefully not the last.

Actually, it's all about having a baby boy. (At least until my wife and I have a girl.) My son turns 1y/o next week.

I was totally set on having a boy. The doc even told us at 12 weeks that he was 80% sure we were having a boy. I was SUPER stoked. The next appointment he goes "I did tell you it MIGHT not be a boy right? Because this is a girl." I was surprised, but now I can't imagine it any other way!

Lifetake, I can totally understand that! I admire those that can have their babies at home, but I know I'm definitely not one of those people.

So thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely make sure not to force it. If it can come up naturally, I'll do it. Otherwise I'll just have to leave it out!

Thanks guys. I have to agree entirely! She is my first and hopefully not the last.

I was totally set on having a boy. The doc even told us at 12 weeks that he was 80% sure we were having a boy. I was SUPER stoked. The next appointment he goes "I did tell you it MIGHT not be a boy right? Because this is a girl." I was surprised, but now I can't imagine it any other way!

Lifetake, I can totally understand that! I admire those that can have their babies at home, but I know I'm definitely not one of those people.

So thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely make sure not to force it. If it can come up naturally, I'll do it. Otherwise I'll just have to leave it out!

That sure is how it goes, isn't it? Congratulations, by the way. Congrats and good luck on the interview too.