Demoralized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
“It really took all of my self-control to not say, ‘What the hell do you mean skin in the game?’” he said. “We have our licenses, our livelihoods, our professions. Every single time we walk up to a patient, everything is on the line.”

He continued: “My thought was, I’ll put some of my skin in the game if you put your name on that chart. Just put your name on the chart. If there’s a lawsuit, you’re on there. You come down and make a decision about my patient, then we’ll talk about skin in the game.”

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Physicians must do this---unionize---to keep any modicum of professionalism within our ranks. Together, we are stronger...

Correct me if im wrong, but this would be illegal....probably due to Stark or some other law because we accept federal money, i.e. medicare.

Check out UAPD. It's already happening, and I'm going to presume a union is legal when public paid teachers and other city workers have unions up the yin yang. Plus, UAPD is a union for municipally employed doctors and dentists.

http://www.uapd.com/all-doctors-need-a-union/

We must do it for our own protection, and for the protection of our patients.

"Physicians have had it with the way that they and their patients have been treated by the health care industry. The Union of American Physicians and Dentists (UAPD) is committed to putting physicians back where they belong—in control of their practice and with a leading role in American health care. UAPD is a tough and effective labor organization which has successfully represented doctors for more than 30 years. Affiliated with the 1.3 million member American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), UAPD can draw on additional lobbying, research, and organizing resources to support its efforts on behalf of doctors."

Any idea what contracts their IPA has?

INDEPENDENT PHYSICIANS
ASSOCIATION (UAPD-IPA)

Through UAPD’s non-profit, doctor-run IPA, you can gain access to eleven PPO contracts and millions of patients for only $160 per year.

Correct me if im wrong, but this would be illegal....probably due to Stark or some other law because we accept federal money, i.e. medicare.

No. Public employees can have unions, collective bargaining, participate in Federal programs. There is no reason why physicians can't do it. I would like to see an organization that represented EMPLOYED, INDEPENDENT, and FEDERAL physicians. Even better if we could biggy-back onto the teachers' union. The public LOVES the teachers' union and they have well-developed PR machine.

No. Public employees can have unions, collective bargaining, participate in Federal programs. There is no reason why physicians can't do it. I would like to see an organization that represented EMPLOYED, INDEPENDENT, and FEDERAL physicians. Even better if we could biggy-back onto the teachers' union. The public LOVES the teachers' union and they have well-developed PR machine.

teachers dont get paid 350k/year.

if we unionize, our salaries will be more highly publicized. i do believe there is a role for unionization, but we have to be careful what we wish for, and our demands should be clear.

I am represented by a union as a federal employee. One time a doc was fired and tried to activate the union. Not sure how that worked out.

if we unionize, our salaries will be more highly publicized. i do believe there is a role for unionization, but we have to be careful what we wish for, and our demands should be clear.
Neither do I

how does that matter? Look at the RN unions and how they spin the RN PR image to validate their high and increasing salaries and benefits. How's that working out for them? The unions are good at PR which we've failed at. Ask your patients today, would they rather see a poor or rich doctor? It has to be framed as a sign of success rather than greed. Put a real face or even your face on that Dr. Moneybags stereotype and patients will see it differently.

Right now hospital admin has us by the balls and we need negotiating and bargaining power. Press ganey too low, then down goes your salary. Charts not closed fast enough, you're on probation. Rub someone the wrong way and your contract gets "addended"

Right now hospital admin has us by the balls and we need negotiating and bargaining power. Press ganey too low, then down goes your salary. Charts not closed fast enough, you're on probation. Rub someone the wrong way and your contract gets "addended"

Sorry -- I don't agree. They don't have us by the balls. Lest everyone forget, the hospital admins can only exist because of a physicians license. Without that license, no one in the chain makes the 90% of the healthcare dollar. Unfortunately, we've collectively licensed out our "balls" and need to renegotiate the lease!

Doh!

Attachments

• Administrative-overhead-vs-physicians.png
    Administrative-overhead-vs-physicians.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: 2 users
Lest everyone forget, the hospital admins can only exist because of a physicians license. Without that license, no one in the chain makes the 90% of the healthcare dollar.

you really think so? In a hospital system all that matters is that CPTs get billed out and money comes back. Admin doesn't care what type of license is used

you really think so? In a hospital system all that matters is that CPTs get billed out and money comes back. Admin doesn't care what type of license is used

A hospital system cannot survive without physicians -- pharmaceutical companies and device manufacturers cannot survive without physicians.