Dent to Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ike_42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hold a DDS degree and is in a LLM program in Taiwan. Im looking to going on to pursue a MD abroad for my plan to go on to interdisciplinary studies.
As you would probably imagine, a DDS and getting through LLM had already took me quite some time, so I have been looking into lateral entry schemes if any are available. I have some questions:

1. Is LL.M. a "Master's program"? It is of course a master's in a broad sense, but would it work for say programs that offer special consideration or admission schemes for masters?

2. Is a DDS a "Doctorate"? I understand that when we say doctorate entry it implies a PhD. Can I apply as a doc with my DDS?

3. Are any Dent to Med admission schemes still available for international dentists?

4. Or do I just call all the schools I want to apply and ask directly?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a US citizen or a permanent resident? Have you done at least one year of post-secondary education in US or Canada?

1. Is LL.M. a "Master's program"? It is of course a master's in a broad sense, but would it work for say programs that offer special consideration or admission schemes for masters?

2. Is a DDS a "Doctorate"? I understand that when we say doctorate entry it implies a PhD. Can I apply as a doc with my DDS?

3. Are any Dent to Med admission schemes still available for international dentists?

1. I heard that your master degree might help if you want to apply to advanced standing programs in US dental schools. Not sure. Please post on international dentist forum.
2. There is no special pathway for PhDs to go into medical school, except a few programs that allow PhDs to finish in 3 years instead of 4.

Last edited:
I hold a DDS degree and is in a LLM program in Taiwan. Im looking to going on to pursue a MD abroad for my plan to go on to interdisciplinary studies.
As you would probably imagine, a DDS and getting through LLM had already took me quite some time, so I have been looking into lateral entry schemes if any are available. I have some questions:

Are you planning on Pharm D and CPA next?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a US citizen or a permanent resident? Have you done at least one year of post-secondary education in US or Canada?
No. I have been looking into SMPs lately but its kind of impractical.

Last edited:

Why don't you want to practice dentistry?

same to me,I have been looking into SMPs lately but its kind of impractical.thanks
sVqtVA

Why don't you want to practice dentistry?
I was really into oral surgery and interdisciplinary research in my final year of my DDS program, so it's a "I like this even more" and not really not into practicing dentistry.

1. I heard that your master degree might help if you want to apply to advanced standing programs in US dental schools. Not sure. Please post on international dentist forum.
2. There is no special pathway for PhDs to go into medical school, except a few programs that allow PhDs to finish in 3 years instead of 4.

1. Ok, international dentist forum, thank you.
2. I did look into that as shortening my training is more important to me than special entry, thank you for the info.