Dental Admission. The whole package

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parnia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am very new to SDN. I am towards my beginning years in undergrad and well I know the any health field is becoming more competitive by the day. I greatly with passion hope to become an orthodontist, but I am so very nervous about the admission process to dental school. I want to know everything that will help me greatly. When should I start studying for the DAT (keep in mind I AM NOT A SKILLED TEST TAKER)? What are some bullets dental schools look for in an applicant other than grades? What are impressive interview questions? What dental schools are competitive? I reside in Texas so basically the only dental schools I'm aware of are the ones here. I know its way too early to think about the DAT or even admissions but I want to be admitted in some great dental schools. Please inform me with any vital information. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You can go to Pre-dental section to look up.

when you get to where most us are at, you'll see how flippant your wanting to becoming an orthodontist is at your stage in life...
1. You have to get past the weeder classes (ochem, biochem, physics) = 2 years from where you are now
2. You have to get a decent GPA and DAT score = 3-4 years from where you are now
3. You have to get an interview = 4 years from where you are now
4. You have to get into dental school = 4.5 years from where you are now
5. You have to be in the top 10-20% of your dental school class = 4.5-8 years from where you are now
6. You have to get a great GRE score = 7 years from where you are now
7. You need to do dental research = 5 years from where you are now
8. You have to apply to residency = 8 years from where you are now
9. You have get accepted to one of the most competitive dental specialties.

You go to dental school with the idea that you're okay with being a general dentist. it's fine to want to become an orthodontist but there's a good chance you won't be one and you don't realize how much effort it's going take to be competitive. you haven't experienced college or dental school. right now just be motivated to get into dental school. As a college student, you're motivated by the fact that if you don't try hard, you won't get into dental school and you won't have a decent lifestyle. You ain't got a safety net. But once you're in dental school, you've already secured a great lifestyle. Because of this great safety net, a higher level of motivation is required for you to not compromise and settle with the six figure salary with 8-5 job of a general dentist in order to become an orthodontist. Having this security is a great demotivator...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha you must not know me. I'm so many steps ahead from what you're referring to ^. But thanks.

this is too funny

Hi,

I am very new to SDN. I am towards my beginning years in undergrad and well I know the any health field is becoming more competitive by the day. I greatly with passion hope to become an orthodontist, but I am so very nervous about the admission process to dental school. I want to know everything that will help me greatly. When should I start studying for the DAT (keep in mind I AM NOT A SKILLED TEST TAKER)? What are some bullets dental schools look for in an applicant other than grades? What are impressive interview questions? What dental schools are competitive? I reside in Texas so basically the only dental schools I'm aware of are the ones here. I know its way too early to think about the DAT or even admissions but I want to be admitted in some great dental schools. Please inform me with any vital information. Thank you.

Hello! Your post looks strikingly like a letter I wrote to the dental admissions at UT when I first began college 4 years ago...a letter which I can look back and laugh at. However, I applaud your motivation and early commitment to the field of dentistry. The best thing you can do right now is focus on school. Learn as much as you can, and have fun doing it.

When you break it down, dental schools are merely businesses. They want money and stats. Right now you just need to focus on doing your very best in school. If you graduate with a high GPA and make a solid DAT score, all the details become irrelevant, and you get to pick your school.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're feeling super gung-ho about it, you can shadow some of your local dentists and make sure that you really want to do it.

I think people here are confused about your class standing. If you're in your "beginning" undergraduate years, are you a sophomore? freshman? Especially if you're a sophomore, it is NOT too early to be thinking about admissions or the DAT!

Yes, with a small bit of effort, the answers to your questions can be found in the DAT discussions and Pre-Dental forums. Happy searching!