Dental Hygiene

dhstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a dental hygiene student and am entering my senior year of the program. I am considering going for my master's degree but I would really like to become an Advanced Dental Hygiene Practitioner. However, there is currently only one school that offers this program and I am nowhere near this state. Is the master's degree in dental hygiene worth it or should I wait until the ADHP is offered closer to me?

Members don't see this ad.

It'll take a good several years before those programs are more common. If you want to go for it, apply to that school for now.

I agree with KittySquared, as you have researched there are hardly any programs and there's a reason for that, it's not favorable in the eyes of many, and the debates on this topic are endless, that being said I would not wait for one to be offered closer to you, it'll be more than a while. If you're set on becoming an ADHP then apply now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am a dental hygienist applying to the DDS program...and I live in Minnesota so I know all about the midlevel practitionar programs here :)

The question you need to ask yourself is- WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO? A master's degree in dental hygiene is completely different from a master's level education as a dental therapist. If you get a MSDH, this is more structured towards teaching or working in education/research. A dental therapist (ADHP as you call it) treats patient's in areas that are designated as underserved, which is typically rural, and works remotely with a dentist treating patients with limitations to their treatment, like some extractions, performing pulpotomies, and fillings to name a few procedures. There are currently two schools here where you can get a degree as a dental therapist, namely, the University of Minnesota and Metropolitan State University.

The future of dental therapists in other states is uncertain at this point, as far as I know. I would say, choose what you want to do, and commit whole heartedly! Good luck.

Hi Deedila...is this for me? I have already done a dental prep course through the University of Minnesota that features a simulation clinic. Thanks for the info anyway.