Dental Hygienist Applying to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothfaiiry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first time posting on here, and I've already read some similar posts to mine, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on my particular situation, because it's a bit more unique.

I'm a 25 year old dental hygienist (Associate degree), and I'm currently back in school taking pre-reqs for dental school while getting my bachelor's degree in biology. I went to Stony brook U. after high school for 2 years, where I was pre dental, my GPA was terrible, so I switched into a dental hygiene program where I did much better, graduated and have been working as a hygienist for 2.5 years (also have assisted for 10 years). I went back to school last fall, and my GPA is around a 3.2 which I'm hoping to get up to a 3.4-3.5 by the time I'm done (3.3 Science GPA), and I haven't taken my DAT's yet. I know that my GPA is pretty low and not competitive, but it's my ABSOLUTE DREAM to be a dentist, so I want to try and make it happen, and I had a few questions:

a) Do dental schools look at your entire academic record? My grades this time around are good, but they were terrible in the past
b) Do I have any chance of getting into dental school? I am planning on applying in the NY area
c) Does me being a dental hygienist help at all?
d) I was planning on doing the gateway program at UMDNJ, does this help to get into their dental school?
e) Does anybody have advice on ways I can improve my application to mask my GPA as much as possible?

I appreciate any constructive feedback, no negative or rude comments please- Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

a) yes they look at your entire academic record. At least they will see your grades have improved.
b) If you do well on your DAT you will have a good chance at getting in
c) Being a hygienist will definitely help
d) I don't know. I would call the schools you are interested in and talk to admissions. They can give you advice on what they are looking for in an applicant
e) best way to offset your low GPA is a high DAT score, after that it's shadowing, volunteering, and work experience which it sounds like you have a lot of.

Reactions: 1 users
Problem is, when they calculate all of your GPA together, it will most likely be lower than your 3.5. That being said, they will see an upwards trend towards the harder science classes (which I am assuming you are taking) that makes it even better.

A high DAT 20+, 22 preferable, will help out tremendously. Shows adcom that you CAN in fact handle the information.

Being a hygienist should look pretty good on paper and good talking points during interviews.

Dont "mask" your GPA. Own it. Realize why you got those grades and how you have changed now that you are back in school. Then tell it to adcoms.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it! As long as you're >3.0 GPA, have an upward trend (hopefully 3.5+right?), and do well on the DAT I think you stand a good chance. Apply early and broadly. Your DH background isn't necessarily that important for admissions; although, you'll certainly know better than the average student that dentistry is what you want to do. You will surely crush dental curriculum once you're in dental school. I cannot tell you how far ahead DH are compared to students that have little/no dental background.

One thing I really like about dental hygiene is it teaches you how to sit, fulcrum, use indirect vision, hand instruments, know dental anatomy, familiar with many dental restorations, oral path, how to read radiographs for perio, and depending on the state you practice in you most likely know how to restore prepped teeth via amalgam or composite, and do injections... you're going to do VERY well!!!

PS: My advice is to make a spread sheet and calculate your GPA using all your transcripts. Note: [grades * credits] = quality points; then, quality points/total credits. I would use three columns: grades (F=0, D=1, C=2, B=3, A=4), credits, and quality points. Then have them summed at the bottom of each column where you perform the equation [quality points/total credits attempted] to find out your GPA. All classes count and retakes don't replace each other. GL

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted to tOSU and I am a hygienist. My GPA is a 3.05. I didn't shadow at all (most schools will waive this if you have a significant background working in a dental office). What I did that helped me was my last year in undergrad to get my Bio degree I got all A's and only 2 B's in upper level bio classes. I aslo did extremely well in hygiene school (all A's the last year, with no grade less than a B the entire time). I rocked the DAT the second time I took it (got a 22). I have been told by the school that my retaking the DAT and doing signicantly better the second time (from 17 to 22) and showing an upards trend in my grades along with my hygiene experience (10 years) is what got my the acceptance.

GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I hope all of you who are applying this year get into your top choices! I'll be taking my DAT's this summer, along with the physics classes required for pre dental prereqs. I had a few more questions after reading your responses that I'd appreciate some more responses on:

a) I've heard that applying in the Spring is better than applying in the Fall, because there's more seats open when you apply early, but what if I still have to take my DAT's and certain classes in the summer and fall still that are pre-reqs? Is it still a good idea to apply this May?

b) Also, for those of you familiar with UMDNJ's Gateway program for pre-dental students, can you give me some feedback as far as your experiences or what you've heard about it? I've obviously looked it up online, but I wanted to hear it from people who have actually participated or have known others that did.

c) Lastly, I am supremely broke, and will be requiring loans when I go to dental school, potentially even for moving out if the school isn't close to home, and I'm freaking out about how that works. Is there financial aid/loans that can help you borrow such a large amount of money?

Let me know your thoughts please.

Again, I appreciate any constructive feedback, no negative or rude comments please- Thank you!

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I hope all of you who are applying this year get into your top choices! I'll be taking my DAT's this summer, along with the physics classes required for pre dental prereqs. I had a few more questions after reading your responses that I'd appreciate some more responses on:

a) I've heard that applying in the Spring is better than applying in the Fall, because there's more seats open when you apply early, but what if I still have to take my DAT's and certain classes in the summer and fall still that are pre-reqs? Is it still a good idea to apply this May?

b) Also, for those of you familiar with UMDNJ's Gateway program for pre-dental students, can you give me some feedback as far as your experiences or what you've heard about it? I've obviously looked it up online, but I wanted to hear it from people who have actually participated or have known others that did.

c) Lastly, I am supremely broke, and will be requiring loans when I go to dental school, potentially even for moving out if the school isn't close to home, and I'm freaking out about how that works. Is there financial aid/loans that can help you borrow such a large amount of money?

Let me know your thoughts please.

Again, I appreciate any constructive feedback, no negative or rude comments please- Thank you!

a) You mean applying in the summer? And yes, the requirement is that you have to have your pre reqs done by the time you matriculate.

c) You will be offered scholarships if you have very competitive stats. Most aren't much and you still have to shell out $20k-$30k per yr. There are some loan repayment programs out there. I personally am going the military route, it's a full scholarship.

You need to apply as soon as possible. I retook the DAT in August, but had everything else done by 2nd week in August. Start asking for our professors to write your LOR's now so when they are asked by AADSAS they are ready.

Also, you can get loans for the whole COA, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user