Dental impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Translator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a translator and need to know what impressions made with two materials are called. Here is one (the pink material provides more detail):

impress.gif

Also, can anybody tell me what one-step and two-step impressions are?

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Pink/Magenta is light-bodied impression (for occlusal surfaces and area where preparation was done)

Green is heavy-bodied impression (goes over the light-bodied impression material)

Not sure what you mean by one-step and two-step impressions, but I'll take a stab at it...

one-step would be along the lines of alginate impression (where you only need one application of material for one impression); and two-step would be something like what you've posted above (two applications of material for one impression)

Last edited:
Being a dinosaur from that era of impression taking I'll attempt an explanation. One step would be placing the heavy body/ putty in the tray and syringing the light body/wash around the preps and allowing both materials to polymerize in the tray. Two-step is to take the putty/heavy in the tray and taking an impression prior to tooth preparation. After tooth perpetration two vent holes are placed into the putty impression on opposite sides of the prepared teeth. The tray is reseated on the prepared teeth and wash/light body is syringed into one of the vent holes and allowed to extrude out the other. Alternatively the wash could be placed into the prepared teeth area and the seated allowing the excess to extrude through the vents. Supposedly an improvement over poly sulfide (rubber base) impressions.

Last edited: