Dental lab - Digital impressions vs. Physical impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuffDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am curious about the basics with digital impressions and physical impressions. The dental lab has a digital scanner, 3D printer, and milling unit. What happens next when dentists send their physical impression of the patient's mouth?

Correct me if I am wrong. Do dental labs scan the physical impression received from the dentist with a digital scanner, and the models and crowns are created by the 3D printer/milling unit?
As for digital impression, it skips the process of scanning the impression and the only important step is fixing the margins/removing any bubbles?

I just want to know the reasoning behind all of this since I am always at a dental office rather than a dental lab.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

physical impression --> casting stone model --> mounting --> scan--> design --> milling/ 3D print --> finishing --> ship back to office
digital impression taken --> margin marking (if there are bubbles, we call the dentist for permission to clear up) --> design -->.... ---> back to office

These are standard procedures for whole ceramic crowns.

physical impression --> casting stone model --> mounting --> scan--> design --> milling/ 3D print --> finishing --> ship back to office
digital impression taken --> margin marking (if there are bubbles, we call the dentist for permission to clear up) --> design -->.... ---> back to office

These are standard procedures for whole ceramic crowns.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Digital impression is more like - scan the tooth - doc reviews the scan and/or the scanner tells the doc that he/she doesn't have all the info - send scan to the lab - lab if they see any potential issues (lack of clearance, problems with receiving the scan data, etc) quickly contacts the doc - crown design and fabrication by the lab - send back to the doc - cement the crown

Most modern scanners make it very difficult for the doc to be able to send a scan of a prepped tooth that would be lacking some info of the scanned tooth. As long as you scan the tooth to the scanners computer driven desire, about the only thing you'd be getting notification from the lab for is lack of clearance or a question about the material/shade you selected for the for the final restoration or an issue with the data set that makes up the scan. Way more "foolproof" than traditional physical impression techniques

Reactions: 1 user
Digital impression is more like - scan the tooth - doc reviews the scan and/or the scanner tells the doc that he/she doesn't have all the info - send scan to the lab - lab if they see any potential issues (lack of clearance, problems with receiving the scan data, etc) quickly contacts the doc - crown design and fabrication by the lab - send back to the doc - cement the crown

Most modern scanners make it very difficult for the doc to be able to send a scan of a prepped tooth that would be lacking some info of the scanned tooth. As long as you scan the tooth to the scanners computer driven desire, about the only thing you'd be getting notification from the lab for is lack of clearance or a question about the material/shade you selected for the for the final restoration or an issue with the data set that makes up the scan. Way more "foolproof" than traditional physical impression techniques

Thank you very much for your prompt response!