dental Loupes' lights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaka1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am planning to purchase a light system for my dental loupes.
Which one do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

i 2nd the featherlight by ultralight. However, there seems to be some positive feedback about Lumadent's LED light over on dentaltown- may be something worth checking out!

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
x3 for featherlight!

Worth the cash.

I have surgitel loupes. I just purchases the new mini led light. I talked to the local rep and got them for 850 shipped. Very light and powerful, strongly recommend them

I paid 605$ for the feather light shipped.

My classmate paid $520 (featherlight) which included shipping and the mounting bracket for his orascoptic.

The Featherlight is an LED light. I love it. I have owned 2 Featherlights and 1 QOptics light. I have also used both Designs for Vision lights. The Featherlight is my favorite. You should be able to get it for $500-600 with the light, battery, mount, composite filter, and shipping.

I have the LumaDent headlamp and it is just as good if not better than the FeatherLight that my friends have, but i paid half as much for it. Also my battery system looks likes its been designed nicer.

What do you think about the Odyssey LED light by Surgitel?
BTW I have Surgitel loupes while all my class mates have Heine. My surgitel loupes are MUCH better that the Heine (much lighter and convenient to use). The Heine loupes block half of the vision when they are lifted up.

I also have the surgitel half-jacket ttl loupes which im happy with. My only complaint is that I might up the magnification and field of view in the future.

I also have classmates with the Odyssey and I dont like it at all. The light it puts out is very dispersed and not defined, its bulky and heavy on the loupes, the mount is big on your loupes, and the battery has a short run time, and a big enclosure.

Sorry for the criticism of the light, but its just a poor design they are putting out at a low price to attract dental students.

I have also seen the Designs for vision light, and its pretty descent, but again the battery design is poor and the price of it takes it out of the running also.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think about the Odyssey LED light by Surgitel?
BTW I have Surgitel loupes while all my class mates have Heine. My surgitel loupes are MUCH better that the Heine (much lighter and convenient to use). The Heine loupes block half of the vision when they are lifted up.

if you have surgitel loupes i would strongly recommend the mini led light. it just came out and is not even on their website yet. when i spoke to customer service they wanted $1050 for the light. i spoke to my local rep (i can give you his number if you want) and he was able to get it to me for $855 shipped and tax. very bright and focused light.

What do you think about the featherlight LED loupe light?
I have been contacted by them and they gave me a special price of $605 including the composite filter.

What do you think about the featherlight LED loupe light?
I have been contacted by them and they gave me a special price of $605 including the composite filter.

Did you read the other 5 or so comments on how everyone else loved their Featherlight?

I ended up getting a DSV, but everyone keeps raving about their featherlight here. I'd like to test one out and see for myself. :oops:

I want more opinions about it.
BTW, I have checked the new Heine light system. I wasnt that impressed with the amount of light and I felt as if it is not that necessary. How would you compare the featherlight system to other manufacturers (including Heine)?

The Luma Dent is very similar to the featherlight, and is actually a little smaller than the feather light. It also has a cooler more modern looking battery pack and the battery lasts a really long time. I've had it for four weeks and it's wonderful (using it on and off, haven't even had to charge it yet!). Plus, Don at Luma Dent is a great guy, and he sells the light for $377 shipped to students. Featherlight wanted $520. It's a no-brainer for me.

Luma Dent comes with composite filter, battery, light, charger, and a mount. www.lumadent.com

Last edited:
I ended up getting the Lumadent light. I will let you know how they are.

I want to buy a light for my loupes but not sure when I should do it. Should I go ahead and buy it now or should I wait until my third year when I get into clinic?

I want to buy a light for my loupes but not sure when I should do it. Should I go ahead and buy it now or should I wait until my third year when I get into clinic?

wait until you get into clinic. loupe lights are getting lighter and brighter with time. What's great now, might not be so next year when you're getting into clinic.

Hup

I heard that Lumadent used to be Lumaspectra, from what I read, they had a similar light last year, but it broke down and they had to abandon the customers who bought. Does anyone else know anything about this? Maybe that's why it's cheaper

I would get one now, you will do better on your summatives during your preclin courses and when you get to clinic youll be more comfortable with the light. I noticed during my fixed prostho course, cutting interproximals was a breeze because of the clear view of what your cutting. Without the light your literally cutting through darkness.

I heard that Lumadent used to be Lumaspectra, from what I read, they had a similar light last year, but it broke down and they had to abandon the customers who bought. Does anyone else know anything about this? Maybe that's why it's cheaper

Well... Lets hope it is good now as I have already paid for it!

I don't think so. Lumadent originally made composite filters for a DIY loupe light. Then the founder began making battery packs for the same DIY light. Finally he came up with a light himself. Pretty clever guy, and the product looks very nice and inexpensive. I would definitely purchase this product if I didn't already have my ultralight.

Hup

if you have surgitel loupes i would strongly recommend the mini led light. it just came out and is not even on their website yet. when i spoke to customer service they wanted $1050 for the light. i spoke to my local rep (i can give you his number if you want) and he was able to get it to me for $855 shipped and tax. very bright and focused light.

uhh you got ripped off. THey were offering them for $475 /w purchase of loupes. I guess you already have the loupes so you were SOL anyways. The featherlight is a good alternative for ~$500 depending on what the owner wants to sell them to you for.

I am Don, the owner of LumaDent and also the co-founder, part owner of LumaSpectra. We believe in creating good products and making them available at great prices.
  • LumaSpectra had been the supporter for the DIY H7 Lenser by provding the orange filters, mounts and battery packs. We have since transfered the support of H7 to LumaDent and have LumaSpectra to focus on next-gen products.
  • LumaDent has been doing well thanks to the support of the DentalTown and SDN.
  • You would find great value b/c I have lots of fun doing all the R&D, design, prototype, testing ...and we are selling it direct from our site to streamline the operation.
Thanks

I am Don, the owner of LumaDent and also the co-founder, part owner of LumaSpectra. We believe in creating good products and making them available at great prices.
  • LumaSpectra had been the supporter for the DIY H7 Lenser by provding the orange filters, mounts and battery packs. We have since transfered the support of H7 to LumaDent and have LumaSpectra to focus on next-gen products.
  • LumaDent has been doing well thanks to the support of the DentalTown and SDN.
  • You would find great value b/c I have lots of fun doing all the R&D, design, prototype, testing ...and we are selling it direct from our site to streamline the operation.
Thanks

Umm, ok, so you didn't answer the question... what happened to all of the poor customers who bought your lumaspectra light before?

I been reading at dental town forum, looks like there were a lot of happy users... I cannot wait to get my set of lumadent light

uhh you got ripped off. THey were offering them for $475 /w purchase of loupes. I guess you already have the loupes so you were SOL anyways. The featherlight is a good alternative for ~$500 depending on what the owner wants to sell them to you for.

ya i already had purchased my loupes during D1 5 years ago. the light you are referring to is their odyssey LED light. i could have purchased that for around $600, but chose to get the new mini version. stronger and lighter. so i dont think i got ripped off, and at the end of the day, it's tax deductible anyways :)

I had taken a look at both the featherlight and the new surgitel mini, and had chosen to try out the surgitel. I know many people who like the featherlight. Going to receive the surgitel tomorrow, and try it out on my half-jacket. Another friend of mine is receiving his lumadent, so we will compare them.

I have just received the Lumadent light.
First impression = WOW :eek:
I have previously tried the Heine headband light (which costs around $1500) and it is nothing compared to the Lumadent ($365).
I am just amazed by the quality, light intensity and the fact that it is made in the US with the total cost of $365. It attaches and works beautifully with my Surgitel M frame loupes.
I am yet to try it out in the clinics. I will check it out during my endodontic sessions next week.

Ok. For the surgitel mini (on half-jacket TTL): the light extends quite a bit further than other lights, since it clicks on to an adapter you secure on the frame - it allows ease of removal; a benefit may be that your wire doesn't have to be bent as much to the side; the composite filter is less well designed than the other 2 in terms of ease of opening - it is a flip up; the weight is fine (lighter than a flip up loupe); the light is more even and focused than the others.

The Lumadent: doesn't extend as far forward; smaller; build seems better than ultralight; filter design is pretty nice in that it is swing style like ultralight, but it has some magnets that allows it to stay in place; light is dispersed like ultralight, and kinda have a square field.

I think both are fine lights, and may just stick with what I got.

I received my LumaDent light and used whole day in clinic session, I LOVE IT. I did crown prep with overhead lamp off. my patient loved it because she hates the heat and brightness of the overhead lamp.

It is so affordable compares to other lights, that made me feel like a winner lol

I am very impressed with the quality and overall feeling. I highly recommend.
at first I thought the light field is a bit narrow, but it is actually completely covered what i can see in my magnified loupe (DFV x3.5) without accidentally blind my patient.

After further thought and comparison, I find the surgitel light quality, although slightly better in my opinion due to the more yellowish light, is not that much signficantly better. So I opt for the less cumbersome and cheaper lumadent instead.

Just wanted to jump in here and add my 2 cents.

There has been a lot of helpful discussion as to what lights are good. I have DFV headband light thingy and I love it. I like the headband because I can use my light with safety glasses, my 3.5s, my 6.0s, or the face shield. Its comfortable and versatile but you end up looking like a space man with it on.

Thats it.

I just bought the LumaDent light for my Surgitel Oakley Half Jacket TTL. Everything works great. The only problem is that now I can't store my loupes in the aluminum case that it came with from Surgitel unless I remove the light after each use, but that's annoying since I've already secured the light wire to my loupes' frame.

What do you guys use to store your loupes (with light attached) when not in use?

Attachments

• se300main.jpg
    se300main.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 187
I just bought the LumaDent light for my Surgitel Oakley Half Jacket TTL. Everything works great. The only problem is that now I can't store my loupes in the aluminum case that it came with from Surgitel unless I remove the light after each use, but that's annoying since I've already secured the light wire to my loupes' frame.

What do you guys use to store your loupes (with light attached) when not in use?

in my locker hanging on a hook.

Hup

several students in my class bought the featherlight last year. This year about 20 of us all went in and bought the Lumadent light. I love the Lumadent light and I see no advantage to the featherlight. Go with the lumadent, you'll save at least a couple hundred bucks. I like the battery on the lumadent better than the featherlight because it has an on/off switch including the dimmer dial. This way I can carry my pack under my gown and simply flip it off and on and maintain the same brightness. It also has an indicator light that comes on when the battery gets low rather than just turning off without warning like the featherlight. I compared the two pretty carefully before I bought the lumadent. I'm glad I did, I love it.

I also have the DFV head-band style light. Works well, but I prefer the lumadent. I have it mounted on the buddy holly style DFV loupes.

I actually have a Featherlight for sale. It is brand new and never opened or used. I have orascoptic loupes and decided for the orascoptic light. Its a little heavier, but I like matching them together. If anyone is interested then send me a message.

I'm just an incoming D1 student and I'm looking at loupes as well. What magnification are you guys operating at?

I'll have to keep lumadent in mind when I get another light.

I know a few of my classmates had problems with the featherlight (battery pack, light was dead, etc) within a few months. I myself used the light twice and the battery pack is broken already somehow :laugh:

Their customer service is also pretty bad. Weird considering dentistry is such a service/loyalty based profession yet the CEO can't get the CS right. :confused:

I have the two sets of loupes, Designs for Vision 2.5x and 4.5xEF.

I'm thinking about getting the 2.5x, I tried a 3.2x or something and I started getting really dizzy. I want to try and get a higher magnification and start getting used to it so I can see the detail of my class I and II preps.

I'm thinking about getting the 2.5x, I tried a 3.2x or something and I started getting really dizzy. I want to try and get a higher magnification and start getting used to it so I can see the detail of my class I and II preps.
You'll acclimate. Did you try them when you were preparing? Or just looking through them at a demo fair?

You'll acclimate. Did you try them when you were preparing? Or just looking through them at a demo fair?

I tried them from a buddy while I was prepping. I got dizzy and had to stop doing anything just 20 minutes into my prep.

Isn't there something they can do to the loupes that "corrects" for slight movements... I tend to shift my weight because I have a back injury from a couple years back.

I purchased a featherlight during my second year and I have had very few issues with it. My battery started to get really weak after one year but they sent me another one no questions asked due to the 2 year warranty. All they asked was that I send the defective one back. I really only use it for posterior operative, crown preps, and endo. I was hoping that by flipping up my loupes and directing the light downward I could use the light while performing extractions and alveoplasties/tori removal but this did not work too well. If there are other people at your school trying to purchase a light, get in touch with a rep at featherlight optics to organize a group discount. Our class did that and got the light for around 530 with a filter, but I recall the class below doing the same thing and hearing that their price has gone up.

It's unfortunate, but the featherlight is by far the best light even though the company is run by sketchy douche-bags. You can call up 10 times in a row and they'll give you 10 different prices. If your a hot dental school chick, they'll totally hook you up. If your an ugly practicing GP they'll go for your wallet. I've heard the same damn light being sold for ~$200 to one person and over ~$1,000 to another. Their customer service is horrrrrrriiiiibbbbblllleeee...
I just use a flashlight duct taped to my head just to prove a point... ;)

Reactions: 1 users