(DENTAL)-->Low Undergrad GPA, Post-Bacc/Masters, need advice for DENTAL school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saveslanney2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completing my MBS and I don't have the best GPA (~3.4). I have a degree in biology (~2.87) and I haven't taken the DAT yet. I have a ton of research as well as EC. Shadowing and Volunteer hours are stellar. I also have a ton of work in rural and underprivileged areas. Not to mention.... I am also an URM...

WHAT SHOULD I DO????

SHOULD I APPLY???

Any advice is appreciated...!!!

Where should I apply???

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you do very well on your DAT (20 or higher across the board) then you should have a decent shot at getting in somewhere. Apply broadly to any schools that have good out of state acceptance rates. If you aren't super confident in your resume you could try working somewhere as a dental assistant for a year or something along those lines and then apply. Good luck!

Strive for a high DAT score because a low one will validate your lower-than-average GPA. Apply broadly (15+ schools). Don't rely on your URM status. Do well in completing the rest of your Masters; you want to demonstrate academic excellence despite a weak undergrad GPA. Good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Strive for a high DAT score because a low one will validate your lower-than-average GPA. Apply broadly (15+ schools). Don't rely on your URM status. Do well in completing the rest of your Masters; you want to demonstrate academic excellence despite a weak undergrad GPA. Good luck!! :)
thx...thats helpful...

I think if you do very well on your DAT (20 or higher across the board) then you should have a decent shot at getting in somewhere. Apply broadly to any schools that have good out of state acceptance rates. If you aren't super confident in your resume you could try working somewhere as a dental assistant for a year or something along those lines and then apply. Good luck!
I completely agree!!!....I'll get that DAT score down pat....