Dental Programs (direct entry) for highschoolers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAlec114

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I want to know of all the options I can get for direct entry highschool programs.

I know of some, such as Penn, BU, NYU, and stony brook.

I'm mostly interested in Penn's program, and based on another person I know I can maybe get into Muhlenberg-->Penn or maybe LeHigh-->Penn though my ultimate goal is PennCAS-->Penn Dental.

Can you guys tell me about some programs? I'm new and I don't know much about these programs... besides that they exist and are hard to get into.

So.... please help with:

1. Which Programs should I stick away from and why, which programs do you recommend and why..

2. How is Penn's program? If it's good, is there any advice/stats I should definitely have? I think I have a pretty competitive resume.... but give me specifics please.

3. Please tell me about programs I didn't list. Please tell me stuff in general about anything you know about any program (rigor, tuition, social, etc).

Thanks!!! Oh yeah... would you guys even recommend going through a program? Or is doing it the normal way: going undergrad and applying to dental school after completion of predental track..

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do these programs, but I have spoken with one dental student who did. My understanding is that these programs are ULTRA competitive to get into. My advice is, if you can get into ANY one of them, then your golden.

However, these programs are not a guaranteed seat into dental schools. Well they are.... if you the obey rules. Every school is different, I think detroit mercy has this program, but you must keep a 3.5 GPA throughout the entire time your doing undergrad and You had to take the DAT at the end. I think they expect an 18AA (again don't quote me plz)

But really, if you can land into any of those programs, it makes getting into dental school a MUCH easier task as you won't have to compete with the other 12,000+ applicants who apply to dental schools each year. Good luck to ya

okay thanks. Any more information? Info is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why? If you are smart enough to get into one of these programs, you can probably manage a 3.7 GPA and a 21AA DAT. That's good enough to guarantee you spot at least one dental school.

Marquette University has one as well. It's not ULTRA competitive...I talked to the admissions director last year and you need a 29 or higher on the ACT, top 10% of class, and have lots of good extracurriculars( some dentistry related) to be competitive. It's 3 years undergrad with 4 dental. You need to keep 3.5 GPA in undergrad and you are in! Hope this helps.

Adelphi University has a 7 year program with NYUCD and an 8 year with Tufts Dental, which I am in. I wouldn't say it's THAT competitive but you need to keep a 3.5 GPA for both programs, go on an interview and get a minimum score on the DAT of 18 for Tufts I think and 21 for NYU, AA.

Do you recommend the adelphi-tufts program?

Also, can yall tell me which dental schools are "bad" ?
Like, I heard that I should stay away from BU's dental school.

Stay away from a dental school? What a comment that was...

I don't believe there is such thing as "bad dental school".... However I do believe there is such thing as "bad experience in dental school", and by this I mean whatever the student "feels" is subjective to his/her experiences.

You shouldn't base your decision to what school you want to go to based on what others "felt". Everyone experiences life (or in this case dental school) differently. I strongly believe that experiences are enhanced/worsened by the personally of the student, some people are just easy to interact with and adapt very well to new environments while others are complete opposites

I don't believe there is such thing as "bad dental school".... However I do believe there is such thing as "bad experience in dental school", and by this I mean whatever the student "feels" is subjective to his/her experiences.

You shouldn't base your decision to what school you want to go to based on what others "felt". Everyone experiences life (or in this case dental school) differently. I strongly believe that experiences are enhanced/worsened by the personally of the student, some people are just easy to interact with and adapt very well to new environments while others are complete opposites

Oh really? Thanks. Yeah that was just one person who told me that BU is "bad" but I guess you're right - it's all subjective. What are some of the best dental schools (prestigious) and some of the not so prestigious dental schools (relative bad)?

I did one of the original combined degree programs back in the 70's. NYU-NYU. graduated d school at 24 (skipped 9th grade). I wholeheartedly do not recommend it. The time you save is time better spent at football games or frat parties. You only get to go to college once, pick one which balances fun and academics. The ones offering combined degree programs seem low on the fun factor IMHO. If I had to do it over, I would have gone to Duke and been a blue devil, painted my face blue at b ball games and loved every minute.
I do like being a dentist though, and if the end justifies the means, then it worked out in the end.

I did one of the original combined degree programs back in the 70's. NYU-NYU. graduated d school at 24 (skipped 9th grade). I wholeheartedly do not recommend it. The time you save is time better spent at football games or frat parties. You only get to go to college once, pick one which balances fun and academics. The ones offering combined degree programs seem low on the fun factor IMHO. If I had to do it over, I would have gone to Duke and been a blue devil, painted my face blue at b ball games and loved every minute.
I do like being a dentist though, and if the end justifies the means, then it worked out in the end.

Thanks for the advice. But isn't NYU considered a school that "isn't very fun" ?

Members don't see this ad :)
for UMDNJ, there is an accelerated program however, it doesn't guarantee you a seat in DS. Its a rigorous curriculum and you have to have at least a 3.5 GPA in most colleges which you take at least 20 credits a semester to end in 3 years so you can start DS.

for UMDNJ, there is an accelerated program however, it doesn't guarantee you a seat in DS. Its a rigorous curriculum and you have to have at least a 3.5 GPA in most colleges which you take at least 20 credits a semester to end in 3 years so you can start DS.

thanks for the information.

I'm not interested in direct-entry and accelerated dental programs in CALIFORNIA! Information would be great :D

thanks for the information.

I'm not interested in direct-entry and accelerated dental programs in CALIFORNIA! Information would be great :D

I know one of the UC's has an accelerated dental program...... I forget which though... can someone tell me?

I have had residents who have graduated from the UOP program. It is a tough 5 years, but you are a dentist at 23, or 22 with a late birthday. Expensive, and no fun (Stockton). But in the end you are a dentist. Depends on your point of view.
UOP graduates some very good clinicians btw.

There is a difference between early acceptance and early admittance programs, although I wouldn't recommend either. Some of these programs are used as an effective recruiting tool by colleges associated with dental schools. Parents and students like them because they think they are guaranteed to enter a dental school if accepted. True, if you meet the criteria for maintaining your position in the program . . . which would most likely get you into several dental schools anyway. Dental (and medical) schools are sometimes pressured by college presidents and the like to have such programs even though the dental (medical) school may not be fond of them. The professional schools would rather evaluate students within the context of their complete college experience. It's virtually impossible to evaluate all aspects of a person's readiness when the interview occurs at the time of high school. Again, colleges with professional schools use this as a means to recruit high end students away from other excellent colleges that don't happen to be associated with a professional school. Another variation would be just the opposite of what you might be thinking- a dental school trying to get you to lock into them because they don't want to lose you to another dental school. Whichever, in many cases the student would be better off to attend the better or preferred college, work hard (similar to maintaining your spot in the early acceptance program) and go through the traditional application process. Don't let paranoia about not getting into dental school drive you toward a less desirable or much more expensive college or professional school.

Hey. I actually just went through this whole process so I'm going to tell you everything I've learned. First of all, these programs are for those that are ABSOLUTELY sure they want to be dentists. If you're not sure, then you shouldnt be in them. Once i was sure that i wanted to be a dentist, I did some heavy research into these programs. These programs are the BEST WAY TO GO if you're set on being a dentist. why? They have the potential to save you insane amounts of $$$ and stress. I only applied to 2 programs: University of the Pacific (a 2+3 year program in California), and University at Buffalo (a 3+4 program in NY). I was accepted into both, undoubtedly excellent programs. However, due to the fact that I am a NY state resident, I decided to turn down Pacific and go to Buffalo. Not only is Buffalo ridiculously cheap and a great dental school, it gaurantees me admission to their dental school provided I maintain a 3.5 gpa and 18pat 20aa on the dat. Not stingent requirements at all. Pacific, on the other hand, only gaurantees me an interview. Had i gone to pacific i would have been a dentist 2 years earlier as compared to Buffalo. However, pacific is far from my family, I'm only gaurantted an interview not admission,and it would run me at least 150k more than Buffalo. The application process for Buffalo was quite long and official, yet, now that its all over, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I think about 150 people apply to the program, about 13 get interviewd, and about 8-10 get accepted. So, I suppose you could call that extremely competitive. However, if you do really well in school, shadow dentists, and have other things going for you, you should definetely apply. It will save you so much money because not only is it one of the cheapest and best state schools, but you also get to work a year in advance had you done the regular 8 year path. Feel free to ask any questions.

I have had residents who have graduated from the UOP program. It is a tough 5 years, but you are a dentist at 23, or 22 with a late birthday. Expensive, and no fun (Stockton). But in the end you are a dentist. Depends on your point of view.
UOP graduates some very good clinicians btw.
How hard is it to get into UOP's 5-year program? What EC's should you have?

I got into the UOP 5 year program, but decided against it. Tufts has a 7 year dental program which you apply to during your freshmen year.

What do you mean apply in your freshmen year? of college? Do you recommend tufts? What's tufts' undergrad school?

There is a difference between early acceptance and early admittance programs, although I wouldn't recommend either. Some of these programs are used as an effective recruiting tool by colleges associated with dental schools. Parents and students like them because they think they are guaranteed to enter a dental school if accepted. True, if you meet the criteria for maintaining your position in the program . . . which would most likely get you into several dental schools anyway. Dental (and medical) schools are sometimes pressured by college presidents and the like to have such programs even though the dental (medical) school may not be fond of them. The professional schools would rather evaluate students within the context of their complete college experience. It's virtually impossible to evaluate all aspects of a person's readiness when the interview occurs at the time of high school. Again, colleges with professional schools use this as a means to recruit high end students away from other excellent colleges that don't happen to be associated with a professional school. Another variation would be just the opposite of what you might be thinking- a dental school trying to get you to lock into them because they don't want to lose you to another dental school. Whichever, in many cases the student would be better off to attend the better or preferred college, work hard (similar to maintaining your spot in the early acceptance program) and go through the traditional application process. Don't let paranoia about not getting into dental school drive you toward a less desirable or much more expensive college or professional school.

great advice. thank you so much.

Hey. I actually just went through this whole process so I'm going to tell you everything I've learned. First of all, these programs are for those that are ABSOLUTELY sure they want to be dentists. If you're not sure, then you shouldnt be in them. Once i was sure that i wanted to be a dentist, I did some heavy research into these programs. These programs are the BEST WAY TO GO if you're set on being a dentist. why? They have the potential to save you insane amounts of $$$ and stress. I only applied to 2 programs: University of the Pacific (a 2+3 year program in California), and University at Buffalo (a 3+4 program in NY). I was accepted into both, undoubtedly excellent programs. However, due to the fact that I am a NY state resident, I decided to turn down Pacific and go to Buffalo. Not only is Buffalo ridiculously cheap and a great dental school, it gaurantees me admission to their dental school provided I maintain a 3.5 gpa and 18pat 20aa on the dat. Not stingent requirements at all. Pacific, on the other hand, only gaurantees me an interview. Had i gone to pacific i would have been a dentist 2 years earlier as compared to Buffalo. However, pacific is far from my family, I'm only gaurantted an interview not admission,and it would run me at least 150k more than Buffalo. The application process for Buffalo was quite long and official, yet, now that its all over, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I think about 150 people apply to the program, about 13 get interviewd, and about 8-10 get accepted. So, I suppose you could call that extremely competitive. However, if you do really well in school, shadow dentists, and have other things going for you, you should definetely apply. It will save you so much money because not only is it one of the cheapest and best state schools, but you also get to work a year in advance had you done the regular 8 year path. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you so much for all of this. I didn't know UoP only gauranteed an interview.. that's kind of lame. and yes I have a lot of questions lol.

How is the social life in Buffalo?

How is the academic life at Buffalo? I know it's a great state school, but provided that you got in to this competitve program, you must have great stats that could get you into top 10 schools. How do you feel about going to a school that is ranked 121 (USnews report)? Do you feel that it isn't academically/socially/prestigious-ly sufficient for your needs/capabilities? Or do you feel that while it isn't that great academically/socially/whatever, it is a sacrifice that is totally worth it? Please give me your thoughts on this school. Before being certain of becoming a dentist, I had the "harvard dream" lol. So it's quite a change for me, and my family if I went to SB, though I am aware that the cheap tuition is totally worth it...

How cheap is buffalo dental school? You mentioned that it's 150k less than UoP but it's also 2 years longer than UoP.. so it must be really cheap , or UoP must be really expensive, or both.

What are your stats? If you don't mind me asking.

thanks so much for this!! I'll probably ask you more stuff later...

I really like Tufts. The sense of communty is great, everyone is super nice, and the academics are pretty rigorous. They have something for everybody (just not D1 sports).

Oh, I might add that if you were to do one of the Pacific programs, I would recommend against the 5 year program, because you don't get a Bachelors. Some residency programs do require a bachelors degree, and it will really limit your options in case you decide to pursue a different path later in life.

thanks for the warning. I always thought that there had to be a downside to UoP's 5 year.... I mean having one year shaved off is great, but having 3 years shaved off is like.... wow there has to be a downside to this.

Oh, I might add that if you were to do one of the Pacific programs, I would recommend against the 5 year program, because you don't get a Bachelors. Some residency programs do require a bachelors degree, and it will really limit your options in case you decide to pursue a different path later in life.

I never thought of that. Not having a bachelors definitely could limit your options later.

I'm pretty ecstatic right now because I just found out that a liberal arts college in my hometown has an agreement with SIU's dental school, where you can get your bachelors degree and DDS in 7 years. If I decide to go into dental, I'm pretty sure that would be the way to go.

Thank you so much for all of this. I didn't know UoP only gauranteed an interview.. that's kind of lame. and yes I have a lot of questions lol.

How is the social life in Buffalo?

How is the academic life at Buffalo? I know it's a great state school, but provided that you got in to this competitve program, you must have great stats that could get you into top 10 schools. How do you feel about going to a school that is ranked 121 (USnews report)? Do you feel that it isn't academically/socially/prestigious-ly sufficient for your needs/capabilities? Or do you feel that while it isn't that great academically/socially/whatever, it is a sacrifice that is totally worth it? Please give me your thoughts on this school. Before being certain of becoming a dentist, I had the "harvard dream" lol. So it's quite a change for me, and my family if I went to SB, though I am aware that the cheap tuition is totally worth it...

How cheap is buffalo dental school? You mentioned that it's 150k less than UoP but it's also 2 years longer than UoP.. so it must be really cheap , or UoP must be really expensive, or both.

What are your stats? If you don't mind me asking.

thanks so much for this!! I'll probably ask you more stuff later...

Alright. Where do i start? lol. So, UOP only has a gauranteed interview, which is the first thing that really put me off of the program, and also the fact that UOP is so nonchalant (good word) about the whole process really turned me off this program. To be honest, getting into the program was quite easy, and was an indicator for me that there's something not right. All you had to do was have their minimum requirements on the site and you're in. Now to answer your questions about Buffalo: from all I gather, the social life in buffalo is awesome. (note, I'm a senior and will start my freshamn year in august, I'm not yet going there, just wanted to clear that up) Everyone that goes there loves it and the parties are off the hook! Buffalo is not at all glamorous and is ranked quite low in all the national rankings. I 2 had the harvard dream. However, I see the fact that Buffalo is not ranked high as a big advantage. What I absolutely love about this program is that I get the best of everything! I am gaurantted acceptance to dental school, provided I meet GPA and DAT requiremtns. This way, not only do i not have 2 worry about going to a prestigious undergrad to help in my dental school admissions, but i also get to save a butt load of money. The cherry on top is that by going to Buffalo (which accepts 50%+ of its undergrad) I'll be able to party and have fun, while attending class with students of mediocore intelligence (big fish, tiny pond) thus making college that much easier. Buffalo dental comes out to about 110k without living expenses compared to UOP's 250k. Also, please note that living in SF is much more expensive than living in Buffalo. As a dentist, I would imagine earning about 120k first couple years out. Thus, going to UOP might put you slightly better off financially than Buffalo if you pay 75k in loans the first 2 years, yet I still think Buffalo is better, less stress, etc. I got a 32 on the ACT (99th percentile), have an unwegted gpa of 97-98/100, Ballroom dancer, Tutor for a long time and other work experience, around 100 hours of shadowing, and really good letter of rec. I got 6 in total: orthodontist, general dentist, physics teacher, engligh teacher, employer, and counselor. Hope that helps!

You all know that UOP interview means acceptance right?

Kudos for you for choosing Buffalo. Great program. Clinical experience at Buffalo is known to be the best among dental schools -- although the same could be said about temple and UOP.

Alright. Where do i start? lol. So, UOP only has a gauranteed interview, which is the first thing that really put me off of the program, and also the fact that UOP is so nonchalant (good word) about the whole process really turned me off this program. To be honest, getting into the program was quite easy, and was an indicator for me that there's something not right. All you had to do was have their minimum requirements on the site and you're in. Now to answer your questions about Buffalo: from all I gather, the social life in buffalo is awesome. (note, I'm a senior and will start my freshamn year in august, I'm not yet going there, just wanted to clear that up) Everyone that goes there loves it and the parties are off the hook! Buffalo is not at all glamorous and is ranked quite low in all the national rankings. I 2 had the harvard dream. However, I see the fact that Buffalo is not ranked high as a big advantage. What I absolutely love about this program is that I get the best of everything! I am gaurantted acceptance to dental school, provided I meet GPA and DAT requiremtns. This way, not only do i not have 2 worry about going to a prestigious undergrad to help in my dental school admissions, but i also get to save a butt load of money. The cherry on top is that by going to Buffalo (which accepts 50%+ of its undergrad) I'll be able to party and have fun, while attending class with students of mediocore intelligence (big fish, tiny pond) thus making college that much easier. Buffalo dental comes out to about 110k without living expenses compared to UOP's 250k. Also, please note that living in SF is much more expensive than living in Buffalo. As a dentist, I would imagine earning about 120k first couple years out. Thus, going to UOP might put you slightly better off financially than Buffalo if you pay 75k in loans the first 2 years, yet I still think Buffalo is better, less stress, etc. I got a 32 on the ACT (99th percentile), have an unwegted gpa of 97-98/100, Ballroom dancer, Tutor for a long time and other work experience, around 100 hours of shadowing, and really good letter of rec. I got 6 in total: orthodontist, general dentist, physics teacher, engligh teacher, employer, and counselor. Hope that helps!

Wow!! Thanks. I have the stats to get into Buffalo's program - just need to get some more shadowing hours. This is great!!

UoP and Buffalo aside, are there any really great programs?

I really like Tufts. The sense of communty is great, everyone is super nice, and the academics are pretty rigorous. They have something for everybody (just not D1 sports).

Though, I am not sure if USC is still offering the 6 year program today. I would question your statement above. Two USC graduates from 6 year (2 ug+4 ds) program, applied, got accepted to two programs (Endo and OMFS). Both programs stated that BS/BA required. An explanation of the situation in your CV and good stats will cover this minor issue.

You all know that UOP interview means acceptance right?
UOP's website states:

"Students admitted to the program take a prescribed list of general education and science courses as undergraduates in the College of the Pacific on the Stockton campus. After two years of study, students in the 2+3 program are eligible to apply for admission to the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry."

This doesn't sound like you're automatically admitted in, but are you a lock to get into their dental school if you keep a minimum GPA sort of thing?

UOP's website states:

"Students admitted to the program take a prescribed list of general education and science courses as undergraduates in the College of the Pacific on the Stockton campus. After two years of study, students in the 2+3 program are eligible to apply for admission to the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry."

This doesn't sound like you're automatically admitted in, but are you a lock to get into their dental school if you keep a minimum GPA sort of thing?

No, I'm saying almost 99 percent of those who received at UOP have gotten acceptances; unlike ASDOH where interviews don't mean a squat. Therefore, UOP interview pretty much means acceptance. If my memory serves me correctly, 5 year program will not get you a four year degree, right? I would personally go with a 6 year program instead of 5.

Is there an honors program at buffalo? I really don't like the idea of mixing with mediocre kids but it's a sacrifice. But if there's an honors program i'll feel better

Though, I am not sure if USC is still offering the 6 year program today. I would question your statement above. Two USC graduates from 6 year (2 ug+4 ds) program, applied, got accepted to two programs (Endo and OMFS). Both programs stated that BS/BA required. An explanation of the situation in your CV and good stats will cover this minor issue.

Holy crap there's a 6 year USC program? I'm seriously trying to find an excuse to move to california lol :D. I can't find anything on the USC dental site. Please tell me (someone) if there's information on this program.

Is there an honors program at buffalo? I really don't like the idea of mixing with mediocre kids but it's a sacrifice. But if there's an honors program i'll feel better

WOW......I bet you wake up every morning and piss excellence.

Not sure what you got against mediocre kids... The majority of my good friends aren't geniuses by any means, and I like it that way. Separating academics from social life is the way to go, but thats just my opinion. To answer your question, yes there is an honors program at Buffalo. If you get in the combined dental program, youll get in the honors program for sure. You have the option of living with honors program kids also. However, if living with geniuses is a proprity of yours, id suggest not going to Buffalo altogether and trying to get into penn.

Not sure what you got against mediocre kids... The majority of my good friends aren't geniuses by any means, and I like it that way. Separating academics from social life is the way to go, but thats just my opinion. To answer your question, yes there is an honors program at Buffalo. If you get in the combined dental program, youll get in the honors program for sure. You have the option of living with honors program kids also. However, if living with geniuses is a proprity of yours, id suggest not going to Buffalo altogether and trying to get into penn.

I don't have anything against average kids. I didn't mean to sound super arrogant, my bad.

I don't have anything against average kids. I didn't mean to sound super arrogant, my bad.

Don't worry, college (organic chem) and dental school (the whole 4 years) will take care of any arrogance you might harbor. And the brief time you spend with "average" kids at Buffalo (I don't know where you get that, SUNY schools are ulltra competitive now) will be more than compensated for when you meet up with your dental school classmates who will be far more than above average.

No, I'm saying almost 99 percent of those who received at UOP have gotten acceptances; unlike ASDOH where interviews don't mean a squat. Therefore, UOP interview pretty much means acceptance. If my memory serves me correctly, 5 year program will not get you a four year degree, right? I would personally go with a 6 year program instead of 5.

:thumbup: Had some friends in the accelerated program at UOP. This is what they told me: there is a finite number of seats set aside for those who are in the accelerated programs.

I believe it was like 20-30 seats in the entire class are reserved for UOP students (accelerated and normal). An interview at UOP pretty much means acceptance for any other undergraduate (ie, people from other universities with high stats) but for those in the accelerated program it almost all but guarantees you a spot in the dental school (so long as you don't reaaaaally F*** up the interview, average a 3.5, and get above an 18AA). They know you paid your dues (literally, with tuition that high...).

UOP has different programs 2+3, 3+3, and 4+3 I believe. Tuition at UOP undergrad is about $17,000/year and tuition at their dental school is about $81,000/year (don't quote me on those numbers!). Also, UOP undergrad is located in Stockton, CA (relatively cheap housing) but the dental school is located in San Francisco, CA (super expensive housing).

This thread seems more about trying to find "prestigious programs" than getting into Dental school. OP first needs to focus on whether he/she would actually "like" to become a dentist. Go do some shadowing and volunteer at a dental clinic. Its so funny to read these threads about "mediocre intelligence" coming from a high school student, kinda reminds me of how far removed from reality some individuals are. Start college and once you take Ochem/Biochem I am sure your intelligence scale will become more realistic.