Dental School after Phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techden

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a PhD in engineering. I have been successful in my degree in terms of accomplishments and publications. I like my field, although do not love it.

It may seems pretty much odd to ask how does it work to go to dental school at this point? What I am concerned about is is there any exceptions that i can benefit from i.e. get the pre-requisite courses waived, etc. ?

I may elaborate more on my situation, though.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to get a PhD in biomedical science and plan to apply for dental school. I am pretty sure that there is no "special treatments", such as prerequisites waiver.

Dental school admissions is so insanely competitive that I don't think they need to waive pre-reqs for anybody. The advantage you will have is that you will look significantly better than any undergrad who applies; just think about it. The good news is that the pre-reqs can be done in 1 to 1.5 years, if you can find the right program. You will also have to shadow and get some ECs in, or, in general, do anything you can to truly convince admissions committees that you want to be a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you can waive the pre-reg courses. However, the PhD degree will certainly make your application stand out.

You can always call up the dental schools that you're interested in to explain your situation.

I have a PhD in engineering. I have been successful in my degree in terms of accomplishments and publications. I like my field, although do not love it.

It may seems pretty much odd to ask how does it work to go to dental school at this point? What I am concerned about is is there any exceptions that i can benefit from i.e. get the pre-requisite courses waived, etc. ?

Thanks

I would assume no to prereq waivers since you need those basic science knowledge to survive ds. What you could do is see if any courses you took before fit the prereq description. However, having a phd has to be a plus. Have you taken the DAT yet?

Thanks

Your PhD will be a big boon to your application. You will still need all of the pre-requisite classes, though.

Contact an SDN'er by the name of Shunwei. He got a PhD in something before dental school.

Your PhD will be a big boon to your application. You will still need all of the pre-requisite classes, though.

Contact an SDN'er by the name of Shunwei. He got a PhD in something before dental school.
I think doc toothache has a PhD as well.

Dental school admissions is so insanely competitive that I don't think they need to waive pre-reqs for anybody. The advantage you will have is that you will look significantly better than any undergrad who applies; just think about it. The good news is that the pre-reqs can be done in 1 to 1.5 years, if you can find the right program. You will also have to shadow and get some ECs in, or, in general, do anything you can to truly convince admissions committees that you want to be a dentist.

It's not that competitive, and they do waive pre-reqs. Ask me how I know.

If I can get pre-reqs waived at multiple institutions with an UG GPA of roughly 3.1, I think a P.hD is infinitely more likely to accomplish the same.

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume no to prereq waivers since you need those basic science knowledge to survive ds. What you could do is see if any courses you took before fit the prereq description. However, having a phd has to be a plus. Have you taken the DAT yet?
I plan to take DAT. pre-reqs waivers may be something not formal that much (As I think). What I need to do is to contact the DS administration.

In the case that I need to pass some pre-reqs is there specific advises on how to take them after my PhD graduation! I am graduating soon, and I may think about Non-Degree Studies as an option.

Last edited:
In the case that I need to pass some pre-reqs is there specific advises on how to take this my PhD graduation! I am graduating soon, and I may think about Non-Degree Studies as an option.
I am going to take mine in a state college as non-degree seeking

In the case that I need to pass some pre-reqs is there specific advises on how to take this my PhD graduation! I am graduating soon, and I may think about Non-Degree Studies as an option.
Depending on your school, you may be able to enroll in any class that you want to as a PhD student. I did this as a Masters student, and while it costs a little extra, I got to pick my classes before anybody else, and some of them were traditionally difficult to get into, especially for non-degree seekers. In general, the advice around SDN is to avoid community college classes and online classes.

Depending on your school, you may be able to enroll in any class that you want to as a PhD student. I did this as a Masters student, and while it costs a little extra, I got to pick my classes before anybody else, and some of them were traditionally difficult to get into, especially for non-degree seekers. In general, the advice around SDN is to avoid community college classes and online classes.
Is state college the same as community college?

Is state college the same as community college?
No, not if I understand what you're calling a "state college," correctly. I see that you're an international student. There are one or more accreditation requirements that separate the two. I have no idea what those are. Someone may be along shortly to explain the difference, but your best bet may be to email an admissions committee member and ask if they will accept credits from there. Adcom members have probably figured out the real differences by that point in their career. If you tell me/us the college that you're talking about, I'll try to make an educated guess.

No, not if I understand what you're calling a "state college," correctly. I see that you're an international student. There are one or more accreditation requirements that separate the two. I have no idea what those are. Someone may be along shortly to explain the difference, but your best bet may be to email an admissions committee member and ask if they will accept credits from there. Adcom members have probably figured out the real differences by that point in their career. If you tell me/us the college that you're talking about, I'll try to make an educated guess.
I am considering to take prerequisites in "St. Johns River State College" in Florida. Thanks!

I plan to take DAT. pre-reqs waivers may be something not formal that much (As I think). What I need to do is to contact the DS administration.

Yeah. Contact each school because some schools are really rigid on pre-reqs where others are somewhat flexible. I called one of the schools that accepted me about English prereq and they said if it is impossible for me to take it again at a 4-yr university in class (not online) then they may think of 'waiving' it (I had IB credits for it). I ended up deciding not to go there.

Thanks

No, the minimum pre-requisites are usually there to stay as far as I know but you should always get it straight from the horse's mouth...the admissions office of the school you want to get into. As far as publications, I assume if you won the Nobel, they will probably waive any and all pre-reqs. They will come in handy when you specialize though.

I am considering to take prerequisites in "St. Johns River State College" in Florida. Thanks!
Looks like they're accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, who does accreditation for the entire South, so you should be good. I'm far from an expert on this, though. I've been to two institutions accredited by them, and that's news to me. You may consider getting to know your local admissions committee head by asking them about this.

Sorry to derail the thread, OP.

Looks like they're accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, who does accreditation for the entire South, so you should be good. I'm far from an expert on this, though. I've been to two institutions accredited by them, and that's news to me. You may consider getting to know your local admissions committee head by asking them about this.

Sorry to derail the thread, OP.
Thanks!

It's not that competitive, and they do waive pre-reqs. Ask me how I know.

If I can get pre-reqs waived at multiple institutions with an UG GPA of roughly 3.1, I think a P.hD is infinitely more likely to accomplish the same.
Hello

Can I ask you how you about the pre-req waiver?

Thanks