Dental school harder to get into than pharmacy school or optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csandova

SCO c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a review on this topic in a magazine today while I was waiting at the doctors office. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you guys think?

Darling, any professional school you are trying to get into is hard. Deciding what professional school you want to attend is hard. Doing well in school to maintain a competitive GPA for that professional school is hard. Taking the admissions test for that professional school is hard. Once you get into the professional school, staying in that school is hard. Once you are done and ready to set out in the world and earn a decent living, paying for the loans you took out is hard. In fact, life in general is hard. Bottom line: do not base your decision of what school you choose to attend based on difficulty. Rather, choose the professional school based on your interest since life in general is hard, so you might as well enjoy somewhat of what you are doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure that any professional school is about on the same level. You are probably smart so do what you want to do.

So you are pre-optometry? On an unrelated note Im going to SCCO on tuesday for a "goals" seminar.

I think podiatry still on the easier side..

I read a review on this topic in a magazine today while I was waiting at the doctors office. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think?

Pharmacy is easier for sure. I think dental is harder to get into than optometry, slightly...

Darling, any professional school you are trying to get into is hard. Deciding what professional school you want to attend is hard. Doing well in school to maintain a competitive GPA for that professional school is hard. Taking the admissions test for that professional school is hard. Once you get into the professional school, staying in that school is hard. Once you are done and ready to set out in the world and earn a decent living, paying for the loans you took out is hard. In fact, life in general is hard. Bottom line: do not base your decision of what school you choose to attend based on difficulty. Rather, choose the professional school based on your interest since life in general is hard, so you might as well enjoy somewhat of what you are doing.

There is no need to call her "Darling" just because she is female. It is incredibly condescending.

I'd guess that med school is the hardest, followed by dental. Then pharm, optometry, and podiatry follow in some unknown order.

A friend of mine just started her 1st year at pharm school and didn't ever finish her degree!! She applied to 9 schools interviewed at 7 accepted at 3or 4.....no degree! Her gpa was about 3.4 ish too and her pact was avg. I know this is just one person but jeeezzzz no degree.

Pharmacy is easier. I'm not familiar with optometry so I don't know.
One friend got in pharm with a sub 3.0, no B+s or higher in any science class and none of his science classes were 300 lvl or higher. He also doesn't have a degree. Others have gotten in with pretty low stats as well.

- Very nicely stated :thumbup: .

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

MD>DMD>DO>OPTOMETRY=PharmD>PA>PODIATRY>NP>N>NA

****Just my guess for fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Dentistry is often grouped with medicine. Until very recently, pharmD use to be the BS in pharmacy. Summer research programs are named "pre-medical/dental blah blah blah program". The DAT is notoriously more difficult than the PCAT. The PAT can make it more difficult than the OAT. The MCAT is the hardest admission test - and it's getting harder with the addition of sociology and psychology sections along with increased difficulty in biology questions(something the DAT is actually known for). GPA average for pharmacy school nationally is about a 3.3-3.4. For optometry, around the same. The NAPLEX has a near 100% national pass rate even though people get into pharmacy school with a 2.0 GPA. Also, you don't need a degree for pharmacy school. You need a degree for dental, medical, and optometry(I believe) school. The rigor of dental school curriculum combined with learning the hand skills needed to become a dentist make dental school challenging on two different fronts. The benefit is that, unless you want to specialize, there are less gunners compared to medical school. In optometry and pharmacy school, specializing isn't as big of a deal. Pharmacists are actually at this time, NOT considered providers(though personally, I think they are)

But stoppp. This is a bad thread. Everyone works extremely hard. Since you won't stop until you know. Yes. Med school is the hardest. Then dental school. Then optometry school. Then pharmacy school. Then PA school. Then PT school. Then nursing school. In terms of selectivity, follow the order provided.

It doesn't matter what's "harder." What is "harder" anyway? You want hard? Work a day of construction that those hispanic immigrants you make fun of on the way to school every day LIVE. Then you'll know the meaning of hard and prestige.

I hate topics like these. Who gives a **** what some magazine thinks. That zine's goal was to get you to read it and nothing else. It won.

Outdated numbers doc.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Dentistry is often grouped with medicine. Until very recently, pharmD use to be the BS in pharmacy. Summer research programs are named "pre-medical/dental blah blah blah program". The DAT is notoriously more difficult than the PCAT. The PAT can make it more difficult than the OAT. The MCAT is the hardest admission test - and it's getting harder with the addition of sociology and psychology sections along with increased difficulty in biology questions(something the DAT is actually known for). GPA average for pharmacy school nationally is about a 3.3-3.4. For optometry, around the same. The NAPLEX has a near 100% national pass rate even though people get into pharmacy school with a 2.0 GPA. Also, you don't need a degree for pharmacy school. You need a degree for dental, medical, and optometry(I believe) school. The rigor of dental school curriculum combined with learning the hand skills needed to become a dentist make dental school challenging on two different fronts. The benefit is that, unless you want to specialize, there are less gunners compared to medical school. In optometry and pharmacy school, specializing isn't as big of a deal. Pharmacists are actually at this time, NOT considered providers(though personally, I think they are)

But stoppp. This is a bad thread. Everyone works extremely hard. Since you won't stop until you know. Yes. Med school is the hardest. Then dental school. Then optometry school. Then pharmacy school. Then PA school. Then PT school. Then nursing school. In terms of selectivity, follow the order provided.

It doesn't matter what's "harder." What is "harder" anyway? You want hard? Work a day of construction that those hispanic immigrants you make fun of on the way to school every day LIVE. Then you'll know the meaning of hard and prestige.

I hate topics like these. Who gives a **** what some magazine thinks. That zine's goal was to get you to read it and nothing else. It won.

Outdated numbers doc.

You don't need a degree for dental school.

You don't need a degree for dental school.

...what lol

No, you do. It's very rare that people get into dental school without a BS. In those instances, 4.0 GPA and 23+ DAT.

I'm surprised you said that Stacker. Can't tell if troll or srs..?

The DAT is notoriously more difficult than the PCAT. The PAT can make it more difficult than the OAT.

Fun fact! The ADA presides over the creation and administration of the OAT.

It's likely that you'll find the OAT is just a DAT sans the PAT...though the OAT includes a physics section.

A friend of mine just started her 1st year at pharm school and didn't ever finish her degree!! She applied to 9 schools interviewed at 7 accepted at 3or 4.....no degree! Her gpa was about 3.4 ish too and her pact was avg. I know this is just one person but jeeezzzz no degree.

No, you do. It's very rare that people get into dental school without a BS. In those instances, 4.0 GPA and 23+ DAT.

"Jeeezzzz", if you consider 10% as being very rare, then it is.

"Jeeezzzz", if you consider 10% as being very rare, then it is.

10% is rare dic I mean doc... 10% is the 10th percentile. If you're not in the 10th percentile of applicants, you won't get in. It's unwise to go around saying a false umbrella statement like that. "You can go to dental school without a BS!" if only 10% of matriculants do so. Also, your numbers are outdated. Pharmacy is increasingly requiring a BS(60% or so have BS) and the numbers are thin for dentistry.

At that, you can get into some medical schools without a BS degree! The 1% get in right? You can too.

10% of all musicians/rappers also make it to the big time. If they can do it, so can you!

:thumbdown:

Don't try to make professional school sound easier than it is. These people work very hard to get where they are(dentists, doctors, pharmacists, optos)

True about the OAT and DAT relation! I guess it's more of a matter what's "harder:rolleyes:" physics or PAT.

10% is rare dic I mean doc... 10% is the 10th percentile. If you're not in the 10th percentile of applicants, you won't get in. It's unwise to go around saying a false umbrella statement like that. "You can go to dental school without a BS!" if only 10% of matriculants do so. Also, your numbers are outdated. Pharmacy is increasingly requiring a BS(60% or so have BS) and the numbers are thin for dentistry.

At that, you can get into some medical schools without a BS degree! The 1% get in right? You can too.

10% of all musicians/rappers also make it to the big time. If they can do it, so can you!

:thumbdown:

Don't try to make professional school sound easier than it is. These people work very hard to get where they are(dentists, doctors, pharmacists, optos)

True about the OAT and DAT relation! I guess it's more of a matter what's "harder:rolleyes:" physics or PAT.

Wow, crazy overreaction.

10% of roughly 5000 DS1's is actually a lot. I am really surprised roughly 500 new dental students start each year without a BS. I assume many of them are part of a 2+3 or 3+3 type program?

Wow, crazy overreaction.

10% of roughly 5000 DS1's is actually a lot. I am really surprised roughly 500 new dental students start each year without a BS. I assume many of them are part of a 2+3 or 3+3 type program?

I'm doing a 3-in-1 program currently, and if I am accepted, my first year of DS will count as my last year of undergrad. I still get a BS; I just knock out two yrs with one. So I'm thinking this is similar to the programs you mentioned?

Anyway my friend was accepted w/o a BS last year. He made a 20 or 21AA. I have 2 interviews, so haven't made it that far yet. But it really isn't unheard of to matriculate w/o a degree. I was discouraged by some of my profs telling me that I couldn't do it, and on SDN, everyone discouraged me from doing it too. But I went ahead and applied anyway. I just think it is a little misleading and discouraging to say "you NEED a degree to get into DS" when many can do it if they put the effort into it and have the right stats. No doubt that it will be difficult, but not impossible. Just be smart about where you apply.

Wow, crazy overreaction.

not at all.

You would be surprised as to how much crap non-MD health-care professionals get. DOs? Death. Pharmacists? Oh god. Child, you is smart, you is kind, you is important. I wish I could echo that to all Rphs in the country. NURSES? I won't insult your intelligence by explaining this one to you. I hope I got my point across though.

I'll stand up for any health care worker who isn't being treated with respect including dentists. When you say things like oh yeah you don't need a "degree" to go to dental school(which is misleading given that only 10%(cite-less number given by doc who compiles very useful information-but now outdated information) of applicants get to do so, it devalues the work of the DDS/DMD. Yes, most of those probably come from some sort of shortcut program. For something to be statistically significant, it has to have a percent pass of 5%. We're at 10. Come on now.

The nature of this thread is such that it's attacking all professions that aren't MD. Intended or not. Because it isn't as "hard" to become a dentist or pharmacist.

Excuse me if I'm a little touchy with my "overreaction". Don't like this subject at all :thumbdown:

Must be my pharmacy backround. :smuggrin:

Prestige vs respect. There's a difference friend.

The nature of this thread is such that it's attacking all professions that aren't MD. Intended or not. Because it isn't as "hard" to become a dentist or pharmacist.

Not sure how you think the "nature of the thread" is attacking all professions... the OP's question was very simple.

Nobody is devaluing the DDS, PharmD, or OD.... when comparing it to MD's. People in this thread are simply stating the differences in acceptance criteria, which you outlined earlier yourself.

There is not a single post in this thread that is bashing another profession. A couple helpful insights, then somebody corrected you saying you don't "need" a degree for DDS.

Then you got pissed at DocToothache for a sarcastic remark, which you well deserved IMO.

Then Sacaputas stated your reaction was a little over the top and provided you a different veiw point on how to look at the statistics.

Then you just got offended and started being ridiculous.... If you look back on the thread responses. YOU are the only one who is offending anyone and making very drastic assumptions and opinions.

Excuse me if I'm a little touchy with my "overreaction". Don't like this subject at all :thumbdown:

Sorry you don't like the subject, but there is no need to respond the way you did and then blame everyone else for "attacking other professions", when you are clearly the problem.

For those of us who are mature enough to understand complimentary healthcare and the role of each professional, we don't need to be offended or defend our "prestige or respect". We know we will have it, regardless of outsiders opinions.

not at all.

You would be surprised as to how much crap non-MD health-care professionals get. DOs? Death. Pharmacists? Oh god. Child, you is smart, you is kind, you is important. I wish I could echo that to all Rphs in the country. NURSES? I won't insult your intelligence by explaining this one to you. I hope I got my point across though.

I'll stand up for any health care worker who isn't being treated with respect including dentists. When you say things like oh yeah you don't need a "degree" to go to dental school(which is misleading given that only 10%(cite-less number given by doc who compiles very useful information-but now outdated information) of applicants get to do so, it devalues the work of the DDS/DMD. Yes, most of those probably come from some sort of shortcut program. For something to be statistically significant, it has to have a percent pass of 5%. We're at 10. Come on now.

Must be my pharmacy backround. :smuggrin:

Prestige vs respect. There's a difference friend.

Just to add to this - a person should not choose their profession based off of easiness. Any healthcare profession you enter is respectable, as you are impacting people's lives in a positive and meaningful way. It is true that some programs may be less rigorous than others thus producing better trained professionals than others, but that does not mean that those walking out of the less rigorous programs are less competent. There are boards that ALL students have to pass, regardless of school.

Also, there is this misconception that dentists are could not get into medical school. It should occur to people that maybe dentists were not interested in medical school to begin with. Bottom line - do not base your decision to enter a professional field on "easiness" or "prestige". Do it because that is what you WANT to do, otherwise you will hate your professional life.

Last edited:
I knew this thread would turn into a war zone :)

...what lol

False.

...what lol

Sweeping generalizations make great arguments.

Have you graduated from 4chan and reddit before frequenting SDN?

Last edited:
+1....Beautifully said!
Yet still didn't answer the question.

Also, yes people can get into dental school without a 4 year. My cousin got accepted to the Iowa College of Dentistry last year which was his junior year in college.

Last edited:
10% is rare dic I mean doc... 10% is the 10th percentile. If you're not in the 10th percentile of applicants, you won't get in. It's unwise to go around saying a false umbrella statement like that. "You can go to dental school without a BS!" if only 10% of matriculants do so. Also, your numbers are outdated. Pharmacy is increasingly requiring a BS(60% or so have BS) and the numbers are thin for dentistry.Don't try to make professional school sound easier than it is. These people work very hard to get where they are(dentists, doctors, pharmacists, optos)

When faced with a limited vocabulary, it is probably best to use the word one is familiar with, albeit, indiscriminately, like "dic/doc" and "doctors"-.
While we may be dealing with "outdated numbers", it is unlikely that we will encounter a dramatic shift over the past 4 years. You can either wait for an updated version or, better yet, come up with your own set.