Dental school ranking in 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jheidenr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that dental schools aren't being ranked any more as medical schools are, however I came across an article that claimed US News & World Report has ranked dental schools for 2005. Does anyone know anything about this??

Here is the link to the article: http://www.dailycampus.com/news/2005/02/11/News/Med-Students.To.Pay.Higher.Tuition-861432.shtml

"...the [University of Connecticut] Dental School is ranked first by U.S. News and World Reports for 2005.""

Members don't see this ad.

Link isn't workin buddy

Members don't see this ad :)
The article discusses tuition hike at UConn Dental and Medical programs... not ranking medical schools. :mad:

Mo007 said:
The article discusses tuition hike at UConn Dental and Medical programs... not ranking medical schools. :mad:

Here is the part that talks about ranking dental schools:

The programs are both already well regarded nationally. The Medical School is ranked 26th in the nation for Primary Care Medical Schools and the Dental School is ranked first by U.S. News and World Reports for 2005.

"In giving premier public education for medical and the No. 1 education for dental we can justify keeping the tuition in that range," Nichols said. "We are providing a quality education and need to receive necessary funding to continue to improve."

this article is false, US News and World Report didnt rank them. and if they did, everyone would have known on SDN a long time ago. its just her opinion i guess. laters

i went on the US News rankings 2005 website and dental schools are not listed.

At my UCSF interview yesterday the Dean told us that there are "secret rankings" that the ADA conducts in a variety of areas - research, clinical etc, and sends to the Dean of each school. The schools are all encoded, and each school only knows their own code - but he said that they all share them anyways.

So I guess technically there are some rankings and he told us a little about where UCSF stood (#1 or #2 in research and #2 or #3 in "clinical output") And he also mentioned that LLU was #1 in clinical output and they switched back and forth with UConn year to year for research. I'm not sure if and what the other categories are, because obviously the school only has to share with us what they want to and what makes them look good. Nonetheless, I have to say that hearing high rankings was impressive, even if they are just numbers.

This was the first time I had heard about this, I know it's not public rankings but I still thought I'd better throw it out there....

jess,

i can verify with you that ucsf's dean also stated this for my interview at well, i have previously posted the same in other topics...it was quite impressive as ucsf became my #1. im still waiting to hear from them (i think they said that they will fill their class by march1st)

did they say how many spots they have filled, how many more interviewees they have left...any details would be helpful!

also, i know that you were planning on going to uop, but have you changed your mind after the sf interview? and why so?

thanks

Jess_SB said:
At my UCSF interview yesterday the Dean told us that there are "secret rankings" that the ADA conducts in a variety of areas - research, clinical etc, and sends to the Dean of each school. The schools are all encoded, and each school only knows their own code - but he said that they all share them anyways.

So I guess technically there are some rankings and he told us a little about where UCSF stood (#1 or #2 in research and #2 or #3 in "clinical output") And he also mentioned that LLU was #1 in clinical output and they switched back and forth with UConn year to year for research. I'm not sure if and what the other categories are, because obviously the school only has to share with us what they want to and what makes them look good. Nonetheless, I have to say that hearing high rankings was impressive, even if they are just numbers.

This was the first time I had heard about this, I know it's not public rankings but I still thought I'd better throw it out there....

jonnytight said:
jess,

i can verify with you that ucsf's dean also stated this for my interview at well, i have previously posted the same in other topics...it was quite impressive as ucsf became my #1. im still waiting to hear from them (i think they said that they will fill their class by march1st)

did they say how many spots they have filled, how many more interviewees they have left...any details would be helpful!

also, i know that you were planning on going to uop, but have you changed your mind after the sf interview? and why so?

thanks

Yeah, after seeing UCSF, I have to admit that my mind is not made up. Hopefully I will get to make that difficult decision between UCSF and Pacific, I have to say that either way I will be extremely happy with my choice.

They said that as of Friday (2/11) 52 people had sent in deposits, so they are looking to fill 28 more seats. If I remember correctly, when all is said and done they will have interviewed 300 students and will accept roughly 150 for the 80 seats. They have aready sent out <80 acceptances, so that leaves ~70 more. I think that our chances are still pretty good. They admitted that they were very slow this year.

Also, they meet every Tuesday to discuss the previous interviewees and monitor their spreadsheet. I was told that they would like to send out all of the acceptances by the end of the month and have their class filled by March. So, we don't have to wait too much longer.

Sorry that this is off topic from the OP.

jheidenr said:
I was under the impression that dental schools aren't being ranked any more as medical schools are, however I came across an article that claimed US News & World Report has ranked dental schools for 2005. Does anyone know anything about this??

Here is the link to the article: http://www.dailycampus.com/news/2005/02/11/News/Med-Students.To.Pay.Higher.Tuition-861432.shtml

"...the [University of Connecticut] Dental School is ranked first by U.S. News and World Reports for 2005.""
So I emailed the author of the article and heard back from her last night. She admitted that the article was incorrect and that it was the National Board of Dental Examiners that ranked UConn #1, not the US News & World Report. Still no sources, however.

first of all all these rankings of dental school are their opinions. people tend to rank well known schools first like USC UCLA, but we are not in undergraduate anymore. for dental school we have to look at the facts. i specifically talked to UCSF Dean and other schools Deans during interviews. The said the ADA does rank dental school but they only tell the Deans of each school (I guess to avoid discussions like this). So the Deans told me that there are many different ranks, one for research, one for clinical, etc. For 2005: (according to CA dental school deans and ADA)

research ranking: Uconn, UCSF,...
clinical rankings: LLU, ?, UCSF,...

These are the facts from ADA so if you have any questions call UCSF Dean. Trust me I was also surprised, but you cant get any accurate than this. But eventually it all depends on where you want to go. We are all going to learn the same things basically. it is just how you use that knowledge

I'm quite surprised that LLU is up there in terms of clinical training. What about UPenn? I know that their post-doc specialty rate is very high but I don't know how they compare to other top schools such as UCSF.

niceteeth said:
I'm quite surprised that LLU is up there in terms of clinical training. What about UPenn? I know that their post-doc specialty rate is very high but I don't know how they compare to other top schools such as UCSF.
i know. see, that is what happens when everyone gives their own input on rankings. no one truly knows the true rankings besides the Deans of dental schools and ADA. UPENN could be up there, but UCSF only gave us the top 3 of clinical and research. and LLU has always been up there for clinical its just that everyone here is caught up on the big names like Harvard and never really knew what they were talking about. anyway, it doesnt matter where you go. we are all going to learn the same things basically and take the same boards. if you get in to anywhere, your doing good.

i am a little surprised about LLUbeing #1 clinically because i thought even within Cali USC was known better for clinical

aceking said:
i am a little surprised about LLUbeing #1 clinically because i thought even within Cali USC was known better for clinical
i know everyone is surprised cause no one on here talks about them. in terms of CA schools, the order was, UCSF, LLU, UOP, USC/UCLA. personally i think that if you get into any CA school you are going to be one of the best. you cant go wrong with cali. dont judge where you want to go people just by rankings. that so stupid. go to one you like and has what you want. laters. hit me up with more questions if you want. laters

aceking said:

What impressed me most about LLU is that they have once a month service projects to mexico where you can get experience even as a freshman and sophomore - that might help prepare you for the clinic and make your skills that much better