This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anm2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got rejected from the dental school I have been wanting to attend for a VERY long time now.

My question is, what exactly should I do to improve my chances? I feel extremely lost at this point.
ANY advice would be so beneficial. What exactly do dental schools look for in re-applicants?
Please help me out, thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I recently got rejected from the dental school I have been wanting to attend for a VERY long time now.

My question is, what exactly should I do to improve my chances? I feel extremely lost at this point.
ANY advice would be so beneficial. What exactly do dental schools look for in re-applicants?
Please help me out, thank you all!

I need the following info:

1. Stats.
2. How many times you applied.
3. Extracurricular, volunteer, shadow, research.
4. List of schools applied and rejected.

No one can give you advice with zero information given.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm so sorry to hear that :(.

What school? What are your stats? When was your app completed? We'd like to try our best to help you!

Stay positive, you can do this!!

Ok here are my stats,

I ONLY applied to UMKC because it is my #1 choice.
I have approximately 120 hours of shadowing (3 offices and the rest at UMKC clinic), 112 hours of volunteering.
I'm the president of pre-health club, I've been a senator of the student gov., I'm a member of the MO AHEC program, biology club, etc.
3.9 overall GPA, 3.7 sgpa..
Dat : 18 science, 17 overall, 12 in math ): and 14 in PAT<--- yes, I realize I HAVE to retake it.
Please give me more advice than just 'retake' the DAT because I know I do. I had a panic attack during the PAT section and didn't practice math enough so there's that.

Thank you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Bring up DAT score & shadow more and you should be fine...also apply to at least 6 schools

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think I should take classes during the gap year?

With your GPA? course not. Only thing bringing down your application is DAT. 12 in QR, sure. but a 14 in PAT? bit low.

Reactions: 3 users
I have approximately 120 hours of shadowing (3 offices and the rest at UMKC clinic), 112 hours of volunteering.

Someone already told you this in the UMKC thread, but I'll just restate it here. UMKC requires you to shadow in a minimum of 5 dental offices.

I don't know how true this is (especially because their website says 5 offices is only a suggestion...) but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry to hear about this, and I agree that your DAT can be improved. Other stats are amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Parts of your DAT are too low. You need to retake it. 12 and 14 are automatic rejections. Also, ask yourself if you'd rather be a student at UMKC or a dentist, and if it is more important to you to be a dentist, then apply to at least 10 schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
everything else in your application look great except the DAT. get a 19aa with scores consistent to each others and you should be set. also apply to a few more schools.

Great advice in this thread.

I would also recommend calling UMKC and asking to speak with an admissions counselor to see if you could review your application with them. Many schools welcome this, and ultimately, they are the authorities who you should listen to.

Great advice in this thread.

I would also recommend calling UMKC and asking to speak with an admissions counselor to see if you could review your application with them. Many schools welcome this, and ultimately, they are the authorities who you should listen to.
Already have an appointment with them set up. They know me, I have been there so many times and they told me that I was a strong applicant but that was before I took the DAT, so I'm guessing my PAT score was a deal breaker for them.
Also, any suggestions on how to study for the math/pat sections for those who took the DAT? What worked best for you? I plan on taking it during spring/early summer so I have a lot of time.
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH AGAIN, I truly appreciate it.

Already have an appointment with them set up. They know me, I have been there so many times and they told me that I was a strong applicant but that was before I took the DAT, so I'm guessing my PAT score was a deal breaker for them.

It's good that you set this up. It shows initiative.

Also, any suggestions on how to study for the math/pat sections for those who took the DAT? What worked best for you? I plan on taking it during spring/early summer so I have a lot of time.
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH AGAIN, I truly appreciate it.

Browse the DAT subforum. Lots of great info and strategies in there.

Who advised you to apply to only one school?

Reactions: 2 users
Who advised you to apply to only one school?
I just did it on my own. I knew my DAT score was low in some categories so I figured if my state school doesn't accept me, others won't either. I'm like the only person who's going into the dental field at my school so I had no help what so ever

it looks like you have a great gpa, just a low DAT score. IMHO, retake the DAT and do better. Getting a 20 will do you wonders I bet, and I would apply to more schools next cycle. Don't think you have to take any more classes since you have such a good GPA, but if there are one or two prereqs you haven't taken, definitely take those

I just did it on my own. I knew my DAT score was low in some categories so I figured if my state school doesn't accept me, others won't either. I'm like the only person who's going into the dental field at my school so I had no help what so ever

Just because your state school doesn't accept you doesn't mean other schools wouldn't. If I went with that approach, I would be sitting on 0 interviews on my 4th cycle.

Also, I believe I've seen people on here post getting into dental schools with a low QR and low PAT. I would say this could have been you with such a high GPA and stellar background.

Sorry to hear that. You definitely should have done more research about the whole process, re-taken your DAT, and applied to more schools.

With that GPA and a respectable DAT score, you could have easily gotten in this cycle and not have to sit out for a whole year.

Sorry to hear that. You definitely should have done more research about the whole process, re-taken your DAT, and applied to more schools.

With that GPA and a respectable DAT score, you could have easily gotten in this cycle and not have to sit out for a whole year.
:( I'm so sad now...
but maybe the universe wants me to have this gap year.. next year I hope I do get accepted, I honestly don't know what I will do if I don't.. I'm so afraid now... I have wanted this for so long now.
Also, I can speak 4 languages and they like diversity so I have a + there and I want to be a dentist because of the poor care I received from my precious dentist as a child which I stated in my P.S... so I agree, I could've had a chance at other schools....

Wh
Just because your state school doesn't accept you doesn't mean other schools wouldn't. If I went with that approach, I would be sitting on 0 interviews on my 4th cycle.

Also, I believe I've seen people on here post getting into dental schools with a low QR and low PAT. I would say this could have been you with such a high GPA and stellar background.
What changes did you make to receive an interview? Please give me some advice since you have been through this.

I think it's harder to get into state schools since everyone wants to go there instead of private schools.

I think it's harder to get into state schools since everyone wants to go there instead of private schools.
This. There are so many competitive applicants nowadays that even if you're a resident, there's no guarantee...

State schools according to Doc toothaches guide tend to interview 30% of their instate applicants. A whopping 70% don't even get interviewed. Then they interview about 10% of OOS applicants. So a whopping 90% don't even get interviews.

Of course some schools like Texas schools Georgia etc have higher IS interview statistics.

I just want to say good luck!

State schools according to Doc toothaches guide tend to interview 30% of their instate applicants. A whopping 70% don't even get interviewed. Then they interview about 10% of OOS applicants. So a whopping 90% don't even get interviews.

Of course some schools like Texas schools Georgia etc have higher IS interview statistics.
Are private universities not as good as state universities?
UMKC has a high preference for IS also but I'm guessing there were a lot of competitive applicants this year who beat me.

UMKC has a high preference for IS also but I'm guessing there were a lot of competitive applicants this year who beat me.
Not necessarily not as good, more like not as expensive

State schools are preferable simply because they cost significantly less. Education wise, any dental school is good typically.

State schools are preferable simply because they cost significantly less. Education wise, any dental school is good typically.
Do you guys know anything about ATSU in Kirksville,MO? I tried to find information about it but it's fairly new so there's not a lot out there.

Do you guys know anything about ATSU in Kirksville,MO? I tried to find information about it but it's fairly new so there's not a lot out there.

It is new, I had an interview there and the facilities were super new and state of the art. You spend the first 2 years in Kirskville then the last two years in St. Louis. By the way I recommend geting the ADEA guide to dental schools which is what I used. It has statistics for entering classes, estimated costs, IS vs OOS stats, etc...it really helped me see which schools were worth applying to for my situation and stats.

It is new, I had an interview there and the facilities were super new and state of the art. You spend the first 2 years in Kirskville then the last two years in St. Louis. By the way I recommend geting the ADEA guide to dental schools which is what I used. It has statistics for entering classes, estimated costs, IS vs OOS stats, etc...it really helped me see which schools were worth applying to for my situation and stats.
Really? Did you like it at all? I will definitely do that, thanks a lot!

Your only weakness is your DAT and applying to one school. Fix those two things and you'll get in somewhere

Thank you all again for the amazing information and encouragement! I plan on studying for DAT during fall break and killing it ASAP and I'm currently hardcore volunteering & shadowing! I MUST GET ACCEPTED NEXT YEAR!!!!