Dental School Technology: Do YOU get to use it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rinse-n-spit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of my dental school friends and I have found that our school claims to be equipped with state-of-the-art dental technology, yet we rarely use it during our clinical experience. We want to remedy this by establishing a club, or organization that creates more opportunities for those involved. I am curious if any of YOU have similar situations, or enjoy established organizations that have allowed you to learn and use your school's technology. Thanks for the input. By the way I am no longer Pre-dental, currently D3.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We have not used any of the fancy bling either, and it is 10/30.

Grant money needs to get spent on something I guess, may as well be high dollar lab decorations and furniture.

When it comes to technology, my school seems to use most of the bling we have.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Maryland, they have introduced Cerec to us D2's. They brought it into simulation lab and scanned all 130 of our MODL preps from last year's operative course. We have the Cerec software loaded on all of our simulation computers and can play around with it on our preps.

In clinic, Cerec is being used on a limited basis by the pre-docs.. mostly for inlays/onlays. The AEGD programs uses it more often.

-Hup!

Pacific just made some huge investments into dental technology. We now have several soft tissue lasers available for student use, the isolite isolation system already installed in several chairs on the clinic floor and in the process of becoming available for widespread student use, the iTero intraoral impression scanning system which is available for general student use and about a dozen microscopes available for endodontics and selected restorative procedures.

Most importantly, on thursday we just installed the E4D chairside milling system (Like CEREC) which is, as everything else here, available for any student to use. Not to mention the Pacific is (and will be for a while) the only dental school in the country to have an E4D, as we're exclusively performing all the clinical trials

One of the big things VCU is proud of is their virtual reality sim lab, and yes we get to use it, beginning in the first week of classes. I think it's very useful.

We are doing a CEREC exercise in fixed on Wednesday. Patterson is bringing 9 CEREC's to scan our MODL preps. Later they will bring in milling unites for us to mill. These technologies are not available for students to use in the clinic but only a preclinical exercise.