Dental school transfer...Do it or don't?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aasar91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I have a situation and wanted to see if anyone else has been through a similar situation. I am currently a D2 and got accepted as a transfer student at a school closer to home. The only thing is that I will have to repeat part of my D1 year, therefore I will be transferring as a D1 but with a lighter load, just to make up the classes that didn't transfer and some lab work, and the school said they will be taking away some classes from my D2 year because I've already taken them at my current dental school. The tuition is 50% what I pay now, and living expense will also be less. The only thing is that I will be graduating a year later than I would if I stayed. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! So I have a situation and wanted to see if anyone else has been through a similar situation. I am currently a D2 and got accepted as a transfer student at a school closer to home. The only thing is that I will have to repeat part of my D1 year, therefore I will be transferring as a D1 but with a lighter load, just to make up the classes that didn't transfer and some lab work, and the school said they will be taking away some classes from my D2 year because I've already taken them at my current dental school. The tuition is 50% what I pay now, and living expense will also be less. The only thing is that I will be graduating a year later than I would if I stayed. Thoughts?

So, after crunching numbers, what's the savings we're talking about? You don't have to go into it if you don't want, but I'm curious about transfers and how/why it was granted.

Not too hard. 1 year of lost income + extra year of tuition vs. Savings by switching schools.

Also factor in accrued interest . And happiness if your current school sucks.