Dental treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm going to be in dental school this year, but my wisdom teeth are growing and pushing my teeth together and I was wondering if I can get ortho treatment in my school for a reduced, or hopefully free , price?
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can but just get them pulled. Which can also happen for a reduced price

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone I'm going to be in dental school this year, but my wisdom teeth are growing and pushing my teeth together and I was wondering if I can get ortho treatment in my school for a reduced, or hopefully free , price?
Thank you in advance
Where did you get the info on 3rd molars "pushing" your "teeth together"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you in advance
Dont tell that to your ortho teacher =P

Yeah, oral surgeons and orthodontists will tell you there isn't scientific evidence that thirds crowd your teeth. They can resorb second molars though if they're impacted. Just had my wisdom teeth extracted at my school with conscious sedation. VERY inexpensive. Highly recommended.

Oh ok that's a relief and it was the person who took my x-rays in my dentist office that told me that

The unscientific evidence is in my mouth. They did really caused crowding, but do not tell anyone

The unscientific evidence is in my mouth. They did really caused crowding, but do not tell anyone

Do a little research into the concept of mesial drift... ;)

That anterior crowding I'm sure you're referring too has happened in my mouth too, and I am congenitally missing all of my wisdom teeth!

The notion that wisdom teeth "cause" crowding is right up there with the concept of "soft teeth" in my mind as the 2 greatest fallacies that many within our profession still propagate to our patients :nono:

Just had my wisdom teeth extracted at my school with conscious sedation. VERY inexpensive. Highly recommended.
cFUx4f

Do a little research into the concept of mesial drift... ;)

That anterior crowding I'm sure you're referring too has happened in my mouth too, and I am congenitally missing all of my wisdom teeth!

The notion that wisdom teeth "cause" crowding is right up there with the concept of "soft teeth" in my mind as the 2 greatest fallacies that many within our profession still propagate to our patients :nono:
I understand that there is no scientific proof, but. My wisdom teeth were erupting for about 5 years - obviously not enough space, let me leave the reasons why I did not extract them then. Before eruption I had perfectly straight lower incisors and after - crowded. The age 17-22. Why did I get crowding at this age, what would be your version

I understand that there is no scientific proof, but. My wisdom teeth were erupting for about 5 years - obviously not enough space, let me leave the reasons why I did not extract them then. Before eruption I had perfectly straight lower incisors and after - crowded. The age 17-22. Why did I get crowding at this age, what would be your version
Crowding is multifactorial based on literature. We can't say for sure that wisdom teeth caused it, but it's possible that wisdom teeth caused it.

I
Crowding is multifactorial based on literature. We can't say for sure that wisdom teeth caused it, but it's possible that wisdom teeth caused it.
I truly do not see any other reasons for crowding at such age and no other changes in dentition, but I would not try to argue that there no scientific proof.
I was also puzzled in the case of a patient, age 93, no periodontal problems,DIABETES, all but a couple of teeth in his mouth - NEVER FLOSSED

Once again, look up the concept of mesial drift. The best example of how this NATURALLY occurs, regardless of wisdom teeth, is if you have an implant placed in a molar or a pre-molar region, over time you see the interproximal contact on the mesial of the implant "open up" whereas the distal contact tends to remain "snug" Implants are ankylosed to the bone, and don't move. Teeth, due to their periodontal ligament do move (hence why orthodontics work, and why if orthodontists need a fixed anchorage point to help guide the movement of teeth they often today will use an implant. Teeth, and their location, are effected by the forces that act on them, from the tongue pushing out to the muscles of the lips pulling back to vertical eruption forces

Reactions: 1 user
I am familiar with the concept. Why then I do not have upper front teeth crowding - teeth move a lot easier on the upper jaw. Another finding - after extraction of the bottom wisdom teeth - there is no worsening of crowding of the bottom incisors. What happened to a mesial drift? Why not everyone with or without wisdom teeth have crowding, if it is a mesial drift to blame?

I am familiar with the concept. Why then I do not have upper front teeth crowding - teeth move a lot easier on the upper jaw. Another finding - after extraction of the bottom wisdom teeth - there is no worsening of crowding of the bottom incisors. What happened to a mesial drift? Why not everyone with or without wisdom teeth have crowding, if it is a mesial drift to blame?
The scientific explanation is commonly referred to as the "Hulk phenomenon". The mighty molar, with 1-4 roots manages to "push" 7 teeth with 8-13 roots leading to crowding. Now that's one powerful "Mama". Or you could ask a physicist/engineer about the net vector forces from the curve of Spee/Wilson and sphere of Monson.

Last edited:
The scientific explanation is commonly referred to as the "Hulk phenomenon". The mighty molar, with 1-4 roots manages to "push" 7 teeth with 8-13 roots leading to crowding. Now that's one powerful "Mama". Or you could ask a physicist/engineer about the net vector forces from the curve of Spee/Wilson and sphere of Monson.

I have to remember that "Hulk Phenomenon" one there Doc Toothache! :thumbup:

The rest of this might be the simple fact where so much of society seems to be trending today, and that is that facts are "irrelevant" if they either don't agree with someone's point of view or makes them not feel good about what the facts are...:shrug::smack:

There is no scientific evidence, that God exists. People still argue