Dentist or Phyiscal Therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceOSU

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about both being a dentist and a PT. I will give reasons for both
Dentist:
Pros:

-Its fun
-Good salary 120k-200k
-Not too demanding job4-5 days a week if that
Cons:
-Huge loans anywhere from 200k-350k

Physical Therapist
Pros:

-Its fun
-I enjoy everything about muscles and therapy
-Seems like I would be a top PT
-In-State looking at 80k-100k debt
-If I apply to PT school I will most definitely get in
Cons:
-Schooling for 7 years only to start with 60k maximum 100k if that

I realize do what your heart wants but I like both professions, also I am realistic and an oppertunist if I am going to school for 7-8 years (undergrad & Grad) I want to make a lot of money. Also after taxes PTs are not looking at much. I just want to know all of your opinions and also how common is for a PT to make a 100k?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been thinking about both being a dentist and a PT. I will give reasons for both
Dentist:
Pros:

-Its fun
-Good salary 120k-200k
Cons:

Physical Therapist
Pros:

-Its fun
Cons:

I realize do what your heart wants but I like both professions, also I am realistic and an oppertunist if I am going to school for 7-8 years (undergrad & Grad) I want to make a lot of money. Also after taxes PTs are not looking at much. I just want to know all of your opinions and also how common is for a PT to make a 100k?
I'm surprised that this is even a question. You're comparing a PT to a dentist? For real? If you can't get into dental school, then I guess PT school is better than nothing...

By the way, I hear CEOs make a lot of money, so you should go for that, not dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
Physical Therapist
Pros:

-Its fun
Cons:

:rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course CEOs make more I stated in the post I am liking both professions apparently you cannot understand what I said you probably did bad on reading comprehension of DAT. If your stating obvious statements that even a 6 your old can state don't comment next time.
Also how am I comparing the two, I am giving my reasons as to why I am posing this question. Damn how did you get into dental school

i lightly considered PT in undergrad while i was learning about different professions only because i had to go to one after tearing some ligaments in HS soccer. either way, i never found PT as exciting as dentistry! i guess it depends on how hard you want to work and which clinical setting you prefer...i think PT seems to be less stressful as a whole, but probably less fun too :/

PT is less stressful I think. Your patients will like you more. But it's definitely a softer science. Don't get me wrong--it's a broad subject and there are masters of it out there, but generally speaking you're going to be stretching people out the same way, telling them to stretch.... thats my impression. I considered it for a while but decided I wanted something with more immediate/concrete results.

Of course CEOs make more I stated in the post I am liking both professions apparently you cannot understand what I said you probably did bad on reading comprehension of DAT. If your stating obvious statements that even a 6 your old can state don't comment next time.
Also how am I comparing the two, I am giving my reasons as to why I am posing this question. Damn how did you get into dental school

I don't think the previous posts were helpful either, but don't expect too much advice after this backlash.

Dentist:
Pros:

-Its fun
-Good salary 120k-200k
Cons:

Physical Therapist
Pros:

-Its fun
Cons:

A major Pro for both fields especially dentistry is having a desire to help people. You didn't mention that.

PT school is very difficult to get into because of the number of applicants. You can't count on getting in....not sure why you think you will get in for sure--roughly 10% get in. Plus, you now need a PhD so that is about as much schooling as dentistry and probably similar cost. Your costs are off too. Looks like $120,000-$145,000 range just for school costs. http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...gram_Data/AggregateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf

A major Pro for both fields especially dentistry is having a desire to help people. You didn't mention that.
When people compare food, comparing taste and smell they do not say the most obvious thing which is eating the food. You obviously help patients in any health field, do you really think that was a necessary pro.

When people compare food, comparing taste and smell they do not say the most obvious thing which is eating the food. You obviously help patients in any health field, do you really think that was a necessary pro.

Well, you said "I want to make a lot of money". Kinda sends the wrong message. To me that is. My apologies. I shouldn't have assumed.

Go to PT. I love dentistry. But you....you go to PT.

Reactions: 8 users
Dentist:
Pros:

-Its fun

Physical Therapist
Pros:

-Its fun

Lmao, dont say that to the your interviewer in an interview.

But you think '-its fun' is a necessary pro?

But seriously, you literally have nothing on there that you couldn't do with any other jobs. Im sure you can find another job that pays 6-figures and is fun that has a way lower entering difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao, dont say that to the your interviewer in an interview.

But you think '-its fun' is a necessary pro?

But seriously, you literally have nothing on there that you couldn't do with any other jobs. Im sure you can find another job that pays 6-figures and is fun that has a way lower entering difficulty.

hey i think 'fun' is important! :nod:

Short term PT is more enticing but as a career it has to go to dentistry, especially as you age. I'd rather be an older dentist than an older PT.

Of course if you can't get into dental school or you can't see yourself doing it other than for money and schedule than stay far away.

PT school is very difficult to get into because of the number of applicants. You can't count on getting in....not sure why you think you will get in for sure--roughly 10% get in. Plus, you now need a PhD so that is about as much schooling as dentistry and probably similar cost. Your costs are off too. Looks like $120,000-$145,000 range just for school costs. http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...gram_Data/AggregateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf

It's a DPT, not a PhD. The profession has moved from a clinical masters to a clinical doctorate in the last 10 years or so (that's a debate for another time). And there aren't a lot of PT students who pay >$120k for just school costs. It does happen, but I'd say average tuition and fees probably falls in about the $80-90k range.

You are right though about getting accepted. A 10% acceptance rate is what you'll find at the very easiest schools to get into. 5-6% acceptance rates are the norm now, even at less-than-desirable schools.

Short term PT is more enticing but as a career it has to go to dentistry, especially as you age. I'd rather be an older dentist than an older PT.

Most of the older PTs I've seen are in teaching, research, administration and part time clinical practice. Hard to say what it will be like in a couple of decades when I'm "older". However, working in an outpatient setting isn't all that physically demanding as you don't generally have to heave patients around a lot. I've seen a couple PTs in their 50's working in inpatient though.

I'm surprised that this is even a question. You're comparing a PT to a dentist? For real? If you can't get into dental school, then I guess PT school is better than nothing...

Statistically speaking the average student is not substantially more or less likely to get into PT school then they are to get into dental school.

i lightly considered PT in undergrad while i was learning about different professions only because i had to go to one after tearing some ligaments in HS soccer. either way, i never found PT as exciting as dentistry! i guess it depends on how hard you want to work and which clinical setting you prefer...i think PT seems to be less stressful as a whole, but probably less fun too :/

I went to the dentist a few times in HS to have some cavities filled. I never found dentistry as exciting as PT!

Don't miss my point here, I'm not saying anything disparaging about dentistry - obviously I don't have the exposure to dentistry to really know what it's all about, just like you don't have enough exposure to PT to know what it's really all about. I'm just trying to point out that the two professions are extremely different and extremely varied and which one is more "fun" depends totally on the person.

However, making $70k as a new grad after 7 years of school probably doesn't seem "fun" to very many people. That's definitely a major factor to consider about PT that dentistry doesn't have as much of an issue with.

PT is less stressful I think. Your patients will like you more. But it's definitely a softer science. Don't get me wrong--it's a broad subject and there are masters of it out there, but generally speaking you're going to be stretching people out the same way, telling them to stretch.... thats my impression. I considered it for a while but decided I wanted something with more immediate/concrete results.

PTs who spend the majority of their time "stretching people out the same why" are in a small minority. That's the same as me saying that generally speaking all dentists do is fill cavities the same way over and over.

You are right though that the results in PT are not as immediate/concrete. The type of things PT most often treats (neuromuscular/musculoskeletal/cardiopulmonary deficiencies, etc) are things that by there very nature cannot be immediately fixed and have to slowly improve over the long term. I have also found this to be a frustrating aspect of PT at times, but also consider that working with patients for long periods of time and watching them improve is something that a lot of people value about PT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Just wanted to make the post above to clear up some bad information in this thread for the record. Hopefully that isn't too offensive to anyone.

Well you came to a dental forum to ask whether you should pursue a career in PT or dentistry...that's like coming to a soccer forum and asking if you should be a soccer player or basketball player.There's obviously positives and negatives in both dentistry and PTs as you pointed out.

Reactions: 2 users
Well you came to a dental forum to ask whether you should pursue a career in PT or dentistry...that's like coming to a soccer forum and asking if you should be a soccer player or basketball player.There's obviously positives and negatives in both dentistry and PTs as you pointed out.
I went to both forums to see what both forums would say, I have been thinking about both thats why I posted this thread. It was as simple as giving your reasons some people just went overboard like fanboys for some reasons. IDK but I figured out my answer, thanks to those who helped .

Well, you said "I want to make a lot of money". Kinda sends the wrong message. To me that is. My apologies. I shouldn't have assumed.
O I do want to make money, a lot of money and I also like aspects of dentistry,including helping people -_- so that is my only reasoning. Nothing more.

I went to both forums to see what both forums would say, I have been thinking about both thats why I posted this thread. It was as simple as giving your reasons some people just went overboard like fanboys for some reasons. IDK but I figured out my answer, thanks to those who helped .
What did you decide?

Dental therapist. lol I am going for dentistry

That's good. Your volatile personality wouldn't be a great fit in the world of PT. I doubt it will be a great fit in dentistry either to be honest, but at least I won't have to encounter you.

Although I find going from not being able to decide to having made a firm decision due to 2 internet threads over the course of one day to be a bit ridiculous.

Ima lay down some real sauce for you here. If you do apply to dental schools don't go in it for the money. There are easier ways to make more money. It's a balanced profession with lots of great stuff, but if you want money just do business lol
I also said I like aspects of dentistry. If I would have done business I would not be talking to you right now.Its like once people see the word money they think wow this guy is in it for the money, I also stated I like dentistry. Everyone that is in college you ask 3 out 5 people they are most likely majoring in business finance,management , something. If I wanted to do something I really enjoy, money will not be a factor, but instead I want to do something I enjoy and make money to be realistic. If dentistry offered 50k I would not do it, if being a biochemist offered 200k I would love to do it, its not just all about money, it is about what I like and how much money I can get from it.Those two are the only factors. I am sure their are easier ways of making money but then why would I go to college. Dentistry seems like a good profession,make good money, help patients, and overall a great environment. YEA MAN I AM IN IT FOR THE MONEY BECAUSE I AM THINKING ABOUT MY FUTURE. lol. You said if you want money do business, lol are you serious

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1422928242.714550.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1422928242.714550.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:
There was another user with OSU in his username that trolled the PT forums pretty hard a few months back...now I'm suspicious...

Reactions: 3 users
That's good. Your volatile personality wouldn't be a great fit in the world of PT. I doubt it will be a great fit in dentistry either to be honest, but at least I won't have to encounter you.

Although I find going from not being able to decide to having made a firm decision due to 2 internet threads over the course of one day to be a bit ridiculous.
volatile personality? I have been thinking about this for like a 6 months now, I saw this forum and wanted an opinion. My personality is fine, I stated what I needed to say clearly, the responses are the ones that are volatile. I like both professions and wanted to know the opinions of what others think to get a new perspective, I do not know how people interpret my statements.I said dental therapist, never heard of a joke? Tell me how my personality is volatile in context to the responses of a few people who cannot distinguish between this being a forum and not an interview.
If you want to be a physical therapist go for it, I am not the one that is badmouthing your future profession, in fact just by you stating that means your more susceptible to a volatile personality than I.

Ima lay down some real sauce for you here. If you do apply to dental schools don't go in it for the money. There are easier ways to make more money. It's a balanced profession with lots of great stuff, but if you want money just do business lol
IF you do apply to college do not do it for a career, but hey go major in art.

There was another user with OSU in his username that trolled the PT forums pretty hard a few months back...now I'm suspicious...
do you know what OSU means its is a common saying against martial artists.

...apparently you cannot understand what I said you probably did bad on reading comprehension of DAT. If your stating obvious statements that even a 6 your old can state don't comment next time....Damn how did you get into dental school

...do you really think that was a necessary pro.

It was as simple as giving your reasons some people just went overboard like fanboys for some reasons.

@ScienceOSU, the above posts display a potentially volatile personality (or at least a lack of maturity) and an inability to respond to comments that you don't like with any degree of dignity, poise or professionalism. This is not a personality trait that will get you far in the healthcare professions. I am confident that the rest of your future colleagues in this thread would agree with me. The experienced posters on this forum are more knowledgeable than you, and you should at least acknowledge that their opinions could have validity.

@ScienceOSU, the above posts display a potentially volatile personality (or at least a lack of maturity) and an inability to respond to comments that you don't like with any degree of dignity, poise or professionalism. This is not a personality trait that will get you far in the healthcare professions. I am confident that the rest of your future colleagues in this thread would agree with me. The experienced posters on this forum are more knowledgeable than you, and you should at least acknowledge that their opinions could have validity.

with dignity did you read the comments I was responding too, If someone comments with maturity or ignores everything I said that is the kind of response that they will receive.

By the way, I hear CEOs make a lot of money, so you should go for that, not dentistry.[/QUOTE]
when one person says CEO makes a lot of money too, I am going to response just as childish as his response.

YEA I am going to acknowledge someone saying you forgot to list a pro in a health care field" to help people". When you talk to a professor saying an obvious statement like that they will definitely make fun of you.

Now the third comment, you really do not think a few people were going way overboard with their comments?
Like I said before in I responded to people in a childish manner in context of how they replied to me, but your just as ignorant as the first guy and I will treat you as such.

I dont think it's a troll. I really think his comments are genuine. His responses are too long and has too much effort in it to be a troll. But I still dont think he should go into either of the profession.

His personality just doesn't fit dentistry, judging by what he's posted here. Not being able to take criticisms and quick to respond negatively shows insecurity and doubt. Pretty sure thats what @knj27 means by volatile.

@ScienceOSU
Not gonna lie, you do spend a good bit of time talking about financial aspect of dentistry. Money, while important in dentistry, is not the end all be all. You never said WHY you liked dentistry. You said it was fun, but WHY was it fun? The tone of your posts, whether intentional or not, just made it sounded like you only cared about the financial aspect of dentistry and PT.

Example: In your Pro's and Con's table, especially the Cons, you ONLY listed salary and school debt.

Off the top of my head, I can list about 5 more Cons for dentistry that has nothing to do with salary and debt (though this is one of the major cons). Probably helped that one interviewer asked me to name a couple of Cons about dentistry.

Responding to provokers doesn't look good either, especially so quickly and so violently. Makes you look childish.

I hope you understand why people are responding negatively to your posts.

P.S. Reading back at all your posts here, I can only find maybe 2 or 3 post with actual information and theyre all about money. The rest are jabs at people who responded to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I dont think it's a troll. I really think his comments are genuine. His responses are too long and has too much effort in it to be a troll. But I still dont think he should go into either of the profession.

His personality just doesn't fit dentistry, judging by what he's posted here. Not being able to take criticisms and quick to respond negatively shows insecurity and doubt. Pretty sure thats what @knj27 means by volatile.

@ScienceOSU
Not gonna lie, you do spend a good bit of time talking about financial aspect of dentistry. Money, while important in dentistry, is not the end all be all. You never said WHY he liked dentistry. You said it was fun, but WHY was it fun? The tone of your posts, whether intentional or not, just made it sounded like you only cared about the financial aspect of dentistry and PT.

Example: In your Pro's and Con's table, especially the Cons, you ONLY listed salary and school debt.

Off the top of my head, I can list about 5 more Cons for dentistry that has nothing to do with salary and debt (though this is one of the major cons). Probably helped that one interviewer asked me to name a couple of Cons about dentistry.

Responding to provokers doesn't look good either, especially so quickly and so violently. Makes you look childish.

P.S. Reading back at all your posts here, I can only find maybe 2 or 3 post with actual information and theyre all about money. The rest are jabs at people who responded to you.

Thank you DentalDoge.

Cool thing is, if you decide to be a dentist, you get to go the physical therapist every week to put your neck back in the right place.

Reactions: 7 users
I

:thumbup: :thumbup: Exactly

with dignity did you read the comments I was responding too, If someone comments with maturity or ignores everything I said that is the kind of response that they will receive.

By the way, I hear CEOs make a lot of money, so you should go for that, not dentistry.

Before you jump into dentistry, you should know that unless you live in Texas and go to a Texas d-school, you are going to be paying anywhere between 200-450k for a dental degree before interest unless you're filthy rich. A lot of money is on the line here. Be certain that you want to be in this profession because you love it for its risks and rewards and not just the paycheck. Cause you're going to write your d-school one giant-A$$ check to them first before you get to call yourself a dentist.

Before you jump into dentistry, you should know that unless you live in Texas and go to a Texas d-school, you are going to be paying anywhere between 200-450k for a dental degree before interest unless you're filthy rich. A lot of money is on the line here. Be certain that you want to be in this profession because you love it for its risks and rewards and not just the paycheck. Cause you're going to write your d-school one giant-A$$ check to them first before you get to call yourself a dentist.
Yea if you do dentistry for the money not only will you be miserable working but being 300k+ in debt you will essentially be in a life sentence and forced to work just to pay off debt.

Heck even if you love dentistry I wonder if it is wise to take out that much in loans. I absolutely hate debt and the freedom it takes away from you no matter how much you love your career. Though with dentistry you can definitely more than make up for it if you are great clinically/business wise.

WHERE??? What population of patients? Thats absurd.
You may make more than 80-100k as a PT if you start your own practice. My cousin makes at least $150k as a PT. It depends on location. Also, if you consider the amount of loans, PT may be the better option (from money's point of view).

@ScienceOSU
Not gonna lie, you do spend a good bit of time talking about financial aspect of dentistry. Money, while important in dentistry, is not the end all be all. You never said WHY you liked dentistry. You said it was fun, but WHY was it fun? The tone of your posts, whether intentional or not, just made it sounded like you only cared about the financial aspect of dentistry and PT.

I dont know what world you live in but when someone states a joke it is not criticism. "Go for CEO you make a lot of money" lol what is wrong with your brain. I responded negatively to comments that were negative. You and that KNJ guy have roughly 1000 posts on here, this is not a facebook account. I honestly think something is wrong with the two of you apparently you cannot read comments I am responding too.
Overall I really do not care you two have been on this forum way too long to distinguish what is.... why am I wasting my time lol you seem like idiots to my eyes

Cool thing is, if you decide to be a dentist, you get to go the physical therapist every week to put your neck back in the right place.
cool thing is, you as dumb as yo momma lmfao