Dentist salary in canada and states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#dental4life

Pre-Dental = dental school try-hards :D
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm just wondering but how much do general dentists make? Any dentist that you would be great. Just wanna know because some say they can easily make 300k and above but some say max is 200k. I'm not going into dentistry only for the money, I was just curious because I've got different answers. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

In general, you max out around $200k if you work for someone else. You can easily make $300k if you have your own practice. Do a search under glassdoor.com to get a feel for location.

Reactions: 1 user
In general, you max out around $200k if you work for someone else. You can easily make $300k if you have your own practice. Do a search under glassdoor.com to get a feel for location.

OMG lol thank you so much for your info :) so much more clear now

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard of dentists making 400k+ a year without any associates, if that even possible?

i've heard of dentists making 400k+ a year without any associates, if that even possible?
Sure, why not? anything is possible...
You just have to be a good one.
Let's say you work 250 days a year and you produce/collect $4000+ a day, then you hit $400k+ a year with 60 % overhead. Certainly doable if you have 2 crowns, 1 molar RCT and a few fillings to fill your daily schedule even without big cosmetic cases. Challenging part is to maintain the pt flow to fill your schedule like that everyday.

400K YES. 500K YES. 600K YES. Past performance is no guarantee of future result because your student loans nowaday are way too high.

Reactions: 1 users
800K. Carve your niche. Work 60 hours and don't skimp on a savvy accountant.

What makes you think going to America will automatically make you more money? Things are competitive down here, you know.

What makes you think going to America will automatically make you more money? Things are competitive down here, you know.

Sorry i dont understand your question, i never said I wanted to come to America. I live in vancouver btw so... Yea

Sorry i dont understand your question, i never said I wanted to come to America. I live in vancouver btw so... Yea
They are just trolling. I met a dentist who made around a mil a year/gross in Vancouver, but he is a genius, his practice is established and he is practicing for 20 years, had one associate and 3 hygienists. Associate was making 15K a month.

They are just trolling. I met a dentist who made around a mil a year/gross in Vancouver, but he is a genius, his practice is established and he is practicing for 20 years, had one associate and 3 hygienists. Associate was making 15K a month.

Would it be a good idea if i bought an established practice instead of starting one from scratch?

I would not recommend starting from scratch. It is still not cheap. I know one dentist who started from scratch. She found a very good location, actually the perfect one and it still took her more then a year to have her schedule filled for a couple of days ahead.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand Canada to work: each Province releases a "Fee guide" every year which outlines how much each procedure will cost. In Canada, dentists stick to these prices (which is different from America). I couldn't find this fee guide, but would love to see it if someone has access to it.

I was able to find BC's fee guide for what is Canada's equivalent to America's Medicare:
http://www.eia.gov.bc.ca/publicat/pdf/dentistschedule.pdf (2010)

How do these fees compare to American fees set by Medicare in the USA/individual states?
panorex - $39
1 surface restoration - 53 (amalgam) , 65 (composite)
extraction of 1 erupted tooth - 69
extraction of 1 full bony impacted tooth - 150-210 (depending on whether bone removed or not)
3 canal RCT - 469

T
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand Canada to work: each Province releases a "Fee guide" every year which outlines how much each procedure will cost. In Canada, dentists stick to these prices (which is different from America). I couldn't find this fee guide, but would love to see it if someone has access to it.

I was able to find BC's fee guide for what is Canada's equivalent to America's Medicare:

How do these fees compare to American fees set by Medicare in the USA/individual states?
panorex - $39
extraction of 1 full bony impacted tooth - 150-210 (depending on whether bone removed or not)
3 canal RCT - 469

They seem very low.

http://www.dentistryiq.com/content/dam/diq/online-articles/documents/2013/10/1309DEsikka.pdf

I'm pretty sure in canada the dentist sets their own fees cuz i got an X-ray and check up and my bill was 130 min

panorex - $39
3 canal RCT - 469

So yea i think ur info is incorrect

There is a fee guide, but dentist is able to increase his or her prices for certain percentage. There no such a thing as per cupita crap or low PPO fee. Dental insurance covers generally 80-100% of basic, like fillings and prophy and 50-80% of major, which is crowns and bridges. Obviously, insurance companies have their own fee guide, which is lower then dentists and patient is responsible for their portion.
Prices of 3 years ago : crown - $995, 1 surface composite - $95, teeth polishing $30, one x ray $25, new patient exam $70, scaling 30 per unit, which is 15 minutes, simple extruction 100 and surgical 250

48.3% of all dentists in the States make over $2 million after their first or second year of practicing.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/polling-dentists-how-much-do-you-make.978857/

4b481dcfe7bbb98ee499af8e477ea87c.jpg

I have a Canadian associate dentist, and he is definitely making more his first year in the US than in Canada.

You can make however much you want in the national range; from being laid back associate dentist to aggressive business owner with multiple offices and be in the top 1% financially among your peers. Your efforts and business knowledge will dictate where you fall in that spectrum.

I'm sure the same is true in Canada, but its never apple to apple when you compare two countries or 2 cities.