dentist to hygienist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canine2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am done with my Part1 and 2, GPA is 3.92, but TOEFL 84, could not make good score in TOEFL, I am looking for dental hygienist degree, is it my good decision?
Any advise

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied anywhere with this score yet? If yes then I think you should join online course for TOEFL, they will help you get high scores at least up to 100 (may be). You should try for Dentist first. That's my advice!

Thanks for your reply, can you tell me any online course?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no online course for Hygiene as far as I know.You have to either do an associates or Bachelors.These are 2 yr programs.After you have your licence you can do online programs to further your hygiene career

I am same as you, cleared my both NBDE exams, GPA is 3.36 lower than yours & TOEFL- 85, still I am trying for DDS/DMD. So you should also try for that first. Don't loose hope. You may get it, who knows! All the best!

Hi
In Florida you can take Hygienist Board exams ( if have passed nbde 1 and2),and can get license to practice without going to school.

Hi
In Florida you can take Hygienist Board exams ( if have passed nbde 1 and2),and can get license to practice without going to school.

Dentist8888 thanks for info, for this board exam I have to go to florida or I can take it from here(California)

Reactions: 1 user
For dental hygiene program, you have to do pre requisites first and then u can get into 2 year DH program
Keep Trying for DDS

sorry to ask but cant you take toefl again?

hi all...i am a dentist in india.completed my BDS in 2010 ..i want to do some dental hygienist course in USA(currently living inUS)..can any one help me by giving the info about this course duration,fee ,the schools and their main requirements and about the job upon completing the course and the salary..

Florida dental hygiene license is only good in Florida, so if you plan to move to Florida, it might be a good option. Also, if you don't pass toefl, I heard some schools may accept some comprehensive English classes that they mandate instead of toefl (I don't know which schools though, you need to ask). If you decided to move to Florida and apply for dental hygiene, you may also have a better chance to join some DDS programs such as with Nova.

hi guys. I have given nbde1 and 2, toefl 106,plus more than a year of dental assisting, three years of clinical practice in my country, no luck with dental schools this year!!
My question- if i were to apply to a Hygiene program, will the credits be transferred? and what are the prerequisites to be eligible to apply? i know that biology and general chemistry is needed. But not sure if it applies to Foreign trained dentists also?
any response will be appreciated.
Thanks.

No credits from the dental school will be transfered. You will have to do all prerequisite. If you want to work as dental hygienist than the best thing would be to apply for Florida dental hygiene licensure and work as dental hygienist in florida.

Hi Guys, If anyone needs oraqix kit for dental hygienist patient exam please let me know.

There is no online course for Hygiene as far as I know.You have to either do an associates or Bachelors.These are 2 yr programs.After you have your licence you can do online programs to further your hygiene career
Do you have to do any prerequisites before entering the DH program?

Hello all,
I am done with my Part1 and 2, GPA is 3.92, but TOEFL 84, could not make good score in TOEFL, I am looking for dental hygienist degree, is it my good decision?
Any advise
Hope you have decided by now, where will you proceed with your studies.

Do you know how important dental hygiene is for your overall health? Grab full information on dental hygiene and its importance along with ways to achieve it. Gain access to dental best dental services in Birmingham. Click and get awesome dental health tips in return. www.birminghamdentists.info

For dental hygiene program, you have to do pre requisites first and then u can get into 2 year DH program
Keep Trying for DDS
I'm 46 already. Hav nt given Nbde even once. It's been 30 yrs since I graduated. I'm planning for dental hygiene. But they need bachelor in science. I'm just moving in circles. Any advice ?

I'm 46 already. Hav nt given Nbde even once. It's been 30 yrs since I graduated. I'm planning for dental hygiene. But they need bachelor in science. I'm just moving in circles. Any advice ?
Just curious. Looking at that they expect you to do bachelor in science first and then join school of hygiene.
Isn't mph better ?
Is there anyone who did mph after BDS. What is the steps for that ? Pl help.