Dentistry admission with a second undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a student doing a second degree in Canada (I will be a Canadian applicant).

My first degree cGPA was around 2.00. I was highly unmotivated and did not have any future plan when I was doing my first degree. Then in my final year (5th) of my first degree, I decided to really put some effort and got an average GPA of 3.90. My overall cGPA was still very low because I failed so many courses in previous years.

Then I decided to do a second degree and now I finished my first year with a GPA of 3.98. I honestly believe that I can maintain this GPA for the next two years.

My primary goal is dentistry and secondary goal is medicine. The problem is, I heard that most American schools take holistic approach in assessing applicants, which means they are going to look at my GPA from my first degree. Thus, even if I get 4.00 in the next two years, my overall cGPA will be less than 3.00... Do you think I still have a chance at American dental/medical schools?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You sound a lot like me. I'm Canadian and screwed up my first undergrad as well (lack of motivation). My first degree was in biochemistry and finished it with a 3.23 oGPA. Once I discovered I wanted to pursue dentistry, I crushed almost every class, completing a second undergrad in medical sciences with a 3.95 oGPA. My combined oGPA is a 3.45. I'm hoping for the best this cycle!

But I think if you maintain a 4.0 for the next 2 years, you should be okay (coupled with a solid DAT score). And you can apply to UWO in Canada as well because they take your 2 best years.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also doing a 2nd UG in Ontario!
I am legit scared if a 2nd UG will affect my chances at ontario dental schools.

Do you know anyone who has successfully entered dentistry with a 2ND UG? There's no limitations/discrimination?
Thanks !
My best two years were 87% for UWO
and my GPA is 3.7 for UofT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, you can do it. I got a ~2.7 with my first degree then went back and crushed every class in my path-4.0 and earned a 2nd degree. I have two interviews at US Schools so far.

I'm pretty sure that a holistic approach means that they look at the big picture more than just your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also doing a 2nd UG in Ontario!
I am legit scared if a 2nd UG will affect my chances at ontario dental schools.

Do you know anyone who has successfully entered dentistry with a 2ND UG? There's no limitations/discrimination?
Thanks !
My best two years were 87% for UWO
and my GPA is 3.7 for UofT.

It definitely won't hurt your chances. I know people who have been accepted with a 2nd undergrad. Since my 2nd one was condensed into 2 years, those years are being used for UWO (my average was 88.2% I believe). I loved my second program, hated my first one. Good luck!