DentSim for D1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamieDM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just spent a week at the DentSim lab in NYC. It was a great week! I went in having never done a prep before and now feel so prepared for my D1 classes. The program and instructors gave me valuable one on one help for hours a day that I could not even imagine having in a classroom setting. Also they helped to make it enjoyable so that I still felt like I was on vacation. I recommend that anyone who is thinking about doing this program before they start there D1 classes do it!!! Not only will you be more confident, but you will enjoy it! Cant speak for how much this program will help those who already know how to to drill, because I didn't have that experience going in though I imagine it would be beneficial because DentSim shows you things that you can't even hope to see with your own eyes no matter what your skill level and I plan to come back to help improve my skills before I start seeing patients.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually an incoming D1 and I went for the mini-course for pre-dental students and I really enjoyed it. I think it really gave me a good head start before starting dental school. Using the DentSim program allowed me to learn how to properly hold a handpiece and angle it correctly because I was able to see my handpiece positioning on the screen. I was also able to see how deep I was drilling and correct my hand pressure accordingly. I think it is a great experience for anyone who is starting dental school or needs more practice.

Hmm interesting. How much does the experience cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know their pricing and what they offer to incoming d1 students for the fall? Might consider it if it's not too much

this virtual lab thing seems like a waste to be honest...why pay $150 or even more when you're paying an arm and a leg for tuition? dental schools have bench/sim labs for a reason...take advantage of it and the faculty.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like NYU finding more ways to rob students, even before they are students lol

Reactions: 1 users
If you know anyone in dental school, ask them if you can prep a few teeth with their handpieces. Offer to pay for the typodont teeth ($1-2 per tooth).

Or, once you receive all of your instruments just start practicing right away. Trying to learn the prep outlines won't help if you don't understand the rationale behind it, so don't worry about that. Just practice drilling your initials, name, drawings, etc to get a feel for holding the handpiece and controlling the rheostat. No need to pay that much for 2 hours. Trust me, it won't put you that far ahead of the rest of the class.

Reactions: 1 users
ditto above - i can think of lots of better things to do with $150.
dental school will teach you - suck up your pride for a few weeks. drilling preps is one small skill of many that you'll be required to do in the pre-clinic lab: waxing, amalgams, using mirrors, etc.

when I used dentsim, it was pretty horrid anyways. the sensors never worked the way they should.