Denying one school in hopes of another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrd006

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a school that I dream of going to. It is less than two hours from my hometown so I will be close to my family. It does however have higher requirements than other schools I plan to apply to. If I get accepted to the other schools but not my dream school, is it crazy to wait until the next cycle and reapply in the hopes of getting into that school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a school that I dream of going to. It is less than two hours from my hometown so I will be close to my family. It does however have higher requirements than other schools I plan to apply to. If I get accepted to the other schools but not my dream school, is it crazy to wait until the next cycle and reapply in the hopes of getting into that school?
It's not necessarily crazy.. but why would you apply to those other schools if you have no intention of going there? What about applying to that dream school (is it your In-state?) first and see if you get in/see what you need to improve for the next round?

Reactions: 2 users
It's not necessarily crazy.. but why would you apply to those other schools if you have no intention of going there? What about applying to that dream school (is it your In-state?) first and see if you get in/see what you need to improve for the next round?

I have been told that you look more competitive if you apply to multiple schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been told that you look more competitive if you apply to multiple schools.
Hmm. I have never heard this. Nor do I think the schools even have access to that data unless they specifically ask you in an interview or something (which I've never been asked). I could be wrong but I don't think applying to more schools makes you "more competitive." If anything it adds more stress and is super expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm. I have never heard this. Nor do I think the schools even have access to that data unless they specifically ask you in an interview or something (which I've never been asked). I could be wrong but I don't think applying to more schools makes you "more competitive." If anything it adds more stress and is super expensive.

Okay. Thank you! The school is my in-state school but I barely meet the academic requirements. I am working hard but know that I'm not going to have a really high gpa. I am working on varying my experiences.

I don't think that's true. If that's the case, everyone who could afford it would apply to every school.

Reactions: 1 user

It's kind of crazy, but somewhat justifiable if your dream school is also your in-state school and would therefore be significantly cheaper. Even so, that's a big risk to take.

If I get accepted to the other schools but not my dream school, is it crazy to wait until the next cycle and reapply in the hopes of getting into that school?

Why even apply to the other schools if you are considering not attending and reapplying. You're better off to save your money on applications and only apply to your IS. Then if you don't get in, you can apply to multiple schools the next year. It also eliminates a school you were previously accepted to then denied acceptance questioning why you declined to just reapply.

Reactions: 3 users
The one upside I can see to applying to multiple schools would actually occur in the unfortunate event that you didn't get into any of them. Then, you could at least get multiple file reviews to be able to see different perspectives on how you could improve. However, as others have said, I don't really think it is worth it.

FWIW I only applied to one school - my IS. I wouldn't have considered going out of state because of the money - especially because I figured I was going to either do some sort of specialty or PhD or something afterwards that would have increased my debt anyway due to loan deferral. If I hadn't gotten in, I would have worked or done something else for a year and tried again.

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard this! I have no idea where. The reasoning I heard is that if a school knows you're only applying to them they don't feel like they have to accept you right away because they'll assume they can anyways just accept you next year, but if you apply to multiple places then schools will feel pressure to accept you on your first cycle so you don't accept elsewhere.

That theory goes out the window when you realize schools don't have that info, though. ;)

I considered this myself when I wasn't accepted IS but decided to take my acceptance elsewhere and am very glad I did. Don't apply where you won't plan to attend if accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard this! I have no idea where. The reasoning I heard is that if a school knows you're only applying to them they don't feel like they have to accept you right away because they'll assume they can anyways just accept you next year, but if you apply to multiple places then schools will feel pressure to accept you on your first cycle so you don't accept elsewhere.

That theory goes out the window when you realize schools don't have that info, though. ;)

That really, really sounds like a rationalization someone / some people have made up to help support their desire to apply to more schools, rather than something that is actually real.

I don't buy it.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah, I don't know who told you this OP, but that is incorrect. Schools do not have access to seeing where you apply until you are accepted somewhere. The only school out of the 14 I applied to that actually asked on their supplemental where else you are applying was Missouri.

That really, really sounds like a rationalization someone / some people have made up to help support their desire to apply to more schools, rather than something that is actually real.

I don't buy it.

There's also no guarantee it'll work out that way for the school. I knew a vet who applied only to her IS for two cycles and was rejected both times, and then applied to her IS and one OOS for her third cycle and got accepted to both. She went to the OOS school out of spite (and then regretted it because of how much the tuition cost...)

Anyway, I agree with what everyone else says about only applying where you're genuinely interested in going and how other schools can't see where you applied. I applied to more than just my IS, but I limited my list to schools where I'm 100% committed to going if I get in. If I don't get in this cycle, I might start expanding my list to schools I'm hesitant about (due to higher tuition).

Keep in mind that if you do get an acceptance, it may be your last. If you give up one acceptance, there's no guarantee you'll ever get another.