DePaul University Reputation and Other Inquiries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sags2riches

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently transferred from a top 50 to a very small, no-name school close to home. After this semester is over I am thinking of attending DePaul University to complete my undergraduate studies. Can anyone enlighten me on DePaul's reputation to outside of midwest Dental Adcoms (e.g. USC, UoP, NYU, UNLV etc.) and top tier programs (UPenn, Columbia, Harvard)?

I am debating whether to pack up my bags at the end of the semester and head back to the top 50.

Will the Adcoms look unfavorably on the fact that I transferred from a top 50 down?

I do want to note that DePaul is on the quarter system so it offers me the best chance to complete my studies within a 4 year time frame which is important to me. I do not know how Dental schools look at the quarter system. It is also close to home so I have the opportunity to capitalize on the resources that being near home offers.

The top 50 has reputability and is in a city that I like. Also, from what I have read going to a top 50 allows slightly more wiggle room in terms of grades.

Another note: I am not a Science Major. I am taking the necessary pre-requisites and then some. I just wanted to throw that in there if it helps anyone gauge my situation.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're getting a 6.0 GPA at Harvard, I don't think dental schools really care where you went for undergrad. Go wherever you fit best.

Reactions: 5 users
Unless you're getting a 6.0 GPA at Harvard, I don't think dental schools really care where you went for undergrad. Go wherever you fit best.
This I hate the idea that going to a top whatever school matters. It doesn't. It actually may a bit but people put too much weight on school rank. A 3.6 at one school isn't going to be looked at more favorably than a 3.8 at another school just because the first was more prestigious even comparing two identical GPAs the 'more prestigious' school probably won't be picked that's when other factors are taken into account. The things that matter, 1: GPA, 2: DAT and 3:EC/Volunteering/Shadowing/Jobs. I will add a caveat though, upper level science classes must be taken at a 4 year college/university those are important to not take at community colleges (I'd even shy away from intro sciences courses at CCs). If you get A's in your intro courses at a CC and Bs and Cs at your college/university that doesn't bode well because community colleges have stigma (unjust or not) that they are easier. Just my two cents. Go for it ADCOMS won't care.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very enlightening replies. Thank you! I guess emotionally I want to go back to the top 50 school. I think when I was there I had the freshman year blues and was not really open to finding my niche. But now that I'm back home logistically my best chances of getting into Dental school are by staying here for all of the aforementioned reasons. I guess sometimes it's just the sacrifice we have to make for what we want to do!

Unfortunately, no one really knows what happens behind closed doors with the admission committees.

I know in Canada, they "claim" not to care where you studied. Not too familiar with the states .Honestly, I'd just go where you think you will enjoy yourself. If a small school will allow you to graduate faster and save money, go for it

This I hate the idea that going to a top whatever school matters. It doesn't. It actually may a bit but people put too much weight on school rank. A 3.6 at one school isn't going to be looked at more favorably than a 3.8 at another school just because the first was more prestigious even comparing two identical GPAs the 'more prestigious' school probably won't be picked that's when other factors are taken into account. The things that matter, 1: GPA, 2: DAT and 3:EC/Volunteering/Shadowing/Jobs.

That's absolutely false. If you go to a college where most of your classmates were high school valedictorians and you're graded on a curve, then having an average GPA is a huge accomplishment. If you go to some random regional college that accepts half the students that apply, then obviously the academic standards are lower there and you are expected to have a high GPA to even be considered for dental school. Not to sound mean, but I know a developmentally disabled person (i.e. mentally ******ed) who made the dean's list at a local state school. That's great for him, but does that mean that he's as smart as a Harvard student with the same GPA? Of course not. Some colleges are more rigorous than others. Why do you guys even think the DAT exists? It's a standardization because the GPAs from different institutions are not comparable.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with going to an "unprestigious" school. If you're smart enough and a dedicated student, you'll get a high DAT score wherever you go. That's more important than GPA.

I've heard this straight from the mouths of four different deans of admissions. You can call them and ask for yourselves. Put this stupid rumor to rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That's absolutely false. If you go to a college where most of your classmates were high school valedictorians and you're graded on a curve, then having an average GPA is a huge accomplishment. If you go to some random regional college that accepts half the students that apply, then obviously the academic standards are lower there and you are expected to have a high GPA to even be considered for dental school. Not to sound mean, but I know a developmentally disabled person (i.e. mentally ******ed) who made the dean's list at a local state school. That's great for him, but does that mean that he's as smart as a Harvard student with the same GPA? Of course not. Some colleges are more rigorous than others. Why do you guys even think the DAT exists? It's a standardization because the GPAs from different institutions are not comparable.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with going to an "unprestigious" school. If you're smart enough and a dedicated student, you'll get a high DAT score wherever you go. That's more important than GPA.

I've heard this straight from the mouths of four different deans of admissions. You can call them and ask for yourselves. Put this stupid rumor to rest.

I agree with the points you brought up. There will always be a certain bias towards the Ivy League student in a head to head comparison of GPAs. However, the edge is marginal in the grand scheme of things (with the DAT, ECs, etc.) and is not worth inconveniencing oneself over (in the author's case).

@Sags2riches, attend whichever school you feel is more conducive to your performance. Get good grades and score well on the DAT. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 3 users

This is interesting, as I've heard from multiple deans of admissions that they don't really care unless everything about two candidates is identical other than their undergrad institution. They gave the example of getting the question: "Does a 3.4 GPA from (insert prominent state school) look better or equal to a 3.5-3.6 GPA from (insert no-name school)?" And the answer has always been a resounding absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I had a ton of people in my interviews who went to no name colleges. They had good stats and killed the DAT because they studied hard and were bright.

Go where you want.

I agree with the points you brought up. There will always be a certain bias towards the Ivy League student in a head to head comparison of GPAs. However, the edge is marginal in the grand scheme of things (with the DAT, ECs, etc.) and is not worth inconveniencing oneself over (in the author's case).

@Sags2riches, attend whichever school you feel is more conducive to your performance. Get good grades and score well on the DAT. Best of luck to you.
Yep that's exactly what i was getting at!

Hello,

I recently transferred from a top 50 to a very small, no-name school close to home. After this semester is over I am thinking of attending DePaul University to complete my undergraduate studies. Can anyone enlighten me on DePaul's reputation to outside of midwest Dental Adcoms (e.g. USC, UoP, NYU, UNLV etc.) and top tier programs (UPenn, Columbia, Harvard)?

I am debating whether to pack up my bags at the end of the semester and head back to the top 50.

Will the Adcoms look unfavorably on the fact that I transferred from a top 50 down?

I do want to note that DePaul is on the quarter system so it offers me the best chance to complete my studies within a 4 year time frame which is important to me. I do not know how Dental schools look at the quarter system. It is also close to home so I have the opportunity to capitalize on the resources that being near home offers.

The top 50 has reputability and is in a city that I like. Also, from what I have read going to a top 50 allows slightly more wiggle room in terms of grades.

Another note: I am not a Science Major. I am taking the necessary pre-requisites and then some. I just wanted to throw that in there if it helps anyone gauge my situation.

Thank you!

DePaul is a fantastic school. Name doesn't matter that much UNLESS you are at an Ivy. Go to a school that fits your personality and offers the classes. professors, and campus that interest you the most.

For what it's worth, I've had several of my interviewers bring up the fact that I go to a top school and they said they know an applicant can do well in dental school if they do well at a top school.

For what it's worth, I've had several of my interviewers bring up the fact that I go to a top school and they said they know an applicant can do well in dental school if they do well at a top school.
My experience as well. In fact, I was explicitly told at UConn, Columbia, Penn, BU, and Tufts that my 3.3 GPA was "impressive" considering the difficulty of my undergrad program. (And I got into these schools, btw.) At one of these schools, the dean of admissions told me that I was more academically qualified than many 4.0 students because they didn't believe that their schools offered a challenging curriculum. The proof is in the DAT scores. Nothing is being held against those students for going to crappy schools; they just have to get good grades and get a high DAT score.

Another revealing anecdote: I know the valedictorian (i.e. straight A's and A+'s) of a third-tier liberal arts college who struggled to get a 19 AA on her DAT after multiple retakes. This fact does not speak to some kind of odd shortcoming in the applicant's test-taking skills; it speaks to the low academic standards of the science departments at said college. She applied to many schools and only got into one. (Granted, she is the nicest person and I think she will make a great clinician. But you see my point.)

Yep that's exactly what i was getting at!
DePaul is a fantastic school. Name doesn't matter that much UNLESS you are at an Ivy. Go to a school that fits your personality and offers the classes. professors, and campus that interest you the most.
Just to clarify, I think we're all essentially saying the same thing regarding OP's situation. Going to a school with a reputation for academic rigor can "bump up" your GPA by a few points (at least in the eyes of Northeast dental schools), assuming you have the DAT scores, but going to a lesser-known school isn't going to hurt you. DePaul is indeed a great school anyway!

Choose an undergrad school based on happiness and personal values (esp. since you're a non-science major), and if it's meant to be, everything else will fall into place when you apply to dental schools. Don't worry about prestige.