Depending on the test, my PS and BS keep switching? How to keep them both high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No more test dates. Saturday is do or die if I don't want to take this new one.

I always score 11-13 on verbal, not even worrying about it at this point.

But I seem to keep having this trend on practice tests. Where I score 8-9 on PS and 6-7 on BS. Then the next test I'll score 8-9 on BS and then 6-7 on PS.

I got three days to figure out a way to get both at an 8-9 level. Any advice?

I've just been reviewing the material I miss on each exam. Plan to take AAMC 10 and 11 in the next three days as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep your head up. Walk into the exam like you're going to demolish it. It's a crapshoot honestly in your situation. Just hope that most of the topics cater to your strengths and not the other way around.

Just keep your head up. Walk into the exam like you're going to demolish it. It's a crapshoot honestly in your situation. Just hope that most of the topics cater to your strengths and not the other way around.

I will say I mostly get all of the questions not tied to a passage right for BS and PS. I think I have a good grasp of all the knowledge I need to know.

The passages just confuse me sometimes and I feel like no matter how many times I practice them, I'm not getting any better at figuring out the info I need from the passage.

Like every verbal passage I understand perfectly. But I have like a pass or fail mentality for each PS and BS passage. I either get every question right because I get the passage, or miss every single one because the passage makes no sense to me.

Have you taken aamc 10? passage 7 on PS was a curve ball for me. And unfortunately from what I've been reading most of the PS sections for the current seatings have been this style. Less straight up calculations and more passage based integration + application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you taken aamc 10? passage 7 on PS was a curve ball for me. And unfortunately from what I've been reading most of the PS sections for the current seatings have been this style. Less straight up calculations and more passage based integration + application.
I heard this as well. I suppose all I can is just take practice tests, I still have enough money for 10 and 11. I'm reviewing the answers I missed for AAMC 9 and I can say the majority of the questions I missed from from the passage, and not a gap in my knowledge . . .

Definitely take 10 and 11. I'm taking 11 tomorrow. I honestly had no idea what I was reading for passage 7 on aamc 10 and still scored 5/6 right. A lot of the answer choices are completely wrong even if you don't even understand the passage and I automatically just mark those off. Good luck.

I agree that confidence at the point is so critical! Keep telling yourself that you've put in the time and are capable of that 8-9 because you've done it before.
As for what to do this last week - practice tests, passages covering what you slipped up on during those tests, flashcards, and rest.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely take 10 and 11. I'm taking 11 tomorrow. I honestly had no idea what I was reading for passage 7 on aamc 10 and still scored 5/6 right. A lot of the answer choices are completely wrong even if you don't even understand the passage and I automatically just mark those off. Good luck.

On 10 or 11 when I took it, I could do the questions for 2 passages in PS because the topic was a very general physics concept (wont name it so as to keep to the test conditions for those studying) that I knew they could not make complex. I got the passage questions all correct.

Took AAMC 10 today and got 8,11,9

If I can get that Saturday, I'd be super-pleased with a 28.

If I got a 30, I would die of happiness.

27 or less I might consider the new MCAT.

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET FOR VERBAL??

Do you take notes as you read? Whats your strategy!!!
I haven't studied one minute for verbal beyond taking practice tests. I don't take a single note, just highlight and answer the questions

I've read every night before bed since I was 6. Even during finals week, I read something easy to wind down before I fall asleep. It is my favorite hobby..

If I had a time machine I'd present 6 year old me with the physics equations and ochem reactions and have him start working on that too.