Depressed and Dismisseed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You're deliberately being withholding/deceiving so that you can have a "haha gotcha" moment and feel superior.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
If you would think about it for more than 2 minutes without considering your own ego you would see that relishing the possibility of snapping back at people who "mistakenly" assume you are premed is actually an annoying thing to do. On a forum where anyone can post information and influence others, by having your status as premed you are tempting others to question the validity of your arguments straight away. Would you trust someone who was giving potentitally life altering comments? Would you be okay if you read someone's opinion who, from the knowledge you can see from their "status", may not be duly informed to make such strongly worded statements?

I am not saying either you or @Robotman 's core arguments are right or wrong. I dont have the experience yet to say. Personally I side with neither of you and think this slap fight is childish. You are being malicious and annoying. Robotman's initial response however was more understandable than whatever the hell this 'vengeance' crusade you have going on.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the wonderful experience of having a career behind me, of directing teams and working in the real world. I have had the great experience of teammates and managers taking credit for my work, while at the same time passing the blame to me whenever anything goes wrong. I wish an attending would come down on me. Public humiliation pales in comparison to an incompetent slackard getting reward for your hard work. If you consider these things difficult moments in life, then you have a lot yet to experience.
Oh god, not this stuff again. We get it, you're a non-traditional. You have so much vast life experience that us traditional premeds can never even contemplate, and you'll be a superstar on the wards bc of it. Good grief.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I deliberately didn't change my status, because I love it when people only have "pre-med" to use as a criticism.
There's a lot more to criticize you about trust me.

I'm not going to read all these posts. But if medicine makes you so depressed why are you doing it? It's not worth it if it's affecting your health

They are at the very end of a long long line. Behind all the US allopathic grads, behind all the DO grads who got competitive step scores, behind all the impressive IMG applicants, and yes even behind his peers from the same carribean med school that managed to do decent on Step 1. This person has to live with the stigma of getting dismissed from a US school. You can't just walk away from that.

All of the "robotman et al vs Shjanzey" and the rather weak "haha, gotcha" moments... the above quoted blurb is fairly accurate.

Let's get back on track folks... plenty of less than optimal responses to each other on both sides of the last ~20 posts.

There's the "are you mentally/emotionally/etc ready for the rigors of residency" issue, the "next to impossible uphill climb against the odds that may make it financially not worth it" issue, the "is it even possible from an administrative standpoint" issue and so on.

Reactions: 3 users
I deliberately didn't change my status, because I love it when people only have "pre-med" to use as a criticism. It makes my day. I will keep it as pre-med into residency.

This is one of the stupidest things I have read on this forum, and that is NO small feat.

You're deliberately being withholding/deceiving so that you can have a "haha gotcha" moment and feel superior.

Yes, I am. But it is not to feel superior, it is flush out those of you guys who just loved to look down your noses at people who are "underneath" you. "Pre-med" is used as a derogatory statement around here, and I find it distasteful. That is the very definition of "feeling superior".

My hope is that people can see good sound thoughtful advice for what it is, without becoming defensive and saying "pre-med" as a consensus get out of jail free card because they don't agree with everything. That is lazy, and annoying.

Yes, I am. But it is not to feel superior, it is flush out those of you guys who just loved to look down your noses at people who are "underneath" you. "Pre-med" is used as a derogatory statement around here, and I find it distasteful. That is the very definition of "feeling superior".

I would actually argue that you are probably violating the TOS of the site. But I don't run the site

You are deliberately falsifying your credentials to f*** with people.

It's pretty sad that you think this somehow gives you moral superiority.

:lol::lol::lol:
Says the guy who uses his prior non-trad experience as hammer to hit others over the head with due to your belief on what a great med student it will make you. Right now you're more insufferable than your strawman premed with no real-life experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, no competition from you then.

I deliberately didn't change my status, because I love it when people only have "pre-med" to use as a criticism. It makes my day. I will keep it as pre-med into residency.

Honestly as an MS1, I don't think an MS1/2 have much more to offer in terms of valuable advice and opinions vs. a premed besides what its like transitioning into medical school and how one was successful in class and Step 1. Preclinical is just go to class, study, then some doctoring, standardized patients and other b.s. sprinkled in. I don't really see much of a "gotcha moment" since Medical Students aren't really highly regarded either and still receive criticism, though we sure do enjoy our high horse :cool:.

Honestly as an MS1, I don't think an MS1/2 have much more to offer in terms of valuable advice and opinions vs. a premed besides what its like transitioning into medical school and how one was successful in class and Step 1. Preclinical is just go to class, study, then some doctoring, standardized patients and other b.s. sprinkled in. I don't really see much of a "gotcha moment" since Medical Students aren't really highly regarded either and still receive criticism, though we sure do enjoy our high horse :cool:.

Very accurate assessment.

I personally know someone dismissed from a US school (during 3rd year) that managed to get a residency after graduating Caribbean. It wasn't easy.

OP should ignore the urinating match going on here and investigate the Step completion within 7 years rule. It simply may not be doable within the time frame available.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't seen a recent post from OP. I would really love an update.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to get a residency spot, especially if he makes connections. A family friend went to the caribbean, failed the USMLE Step 1 12 times (or so I was told), passed the 13th time, was kicked out of SGU, went to Ross, kicked out, and graduated from AUC. 7 years later, someone became the owner of the hospital he now does his residency in. Nearing his 40s, he's happy in family medicine.

Yeah, it's not a great path, but I honestly thinking getting to know the right people is the only hope.

I think I should be able to finish Step 2 this fall and Step 3 next year after graduation. That was my plan anyways. In the event that I don't match this cycle, I might be slightly more competitive the following cycle with all three Steps taken care of. Sorry I stopped posting after people were posting things unrelated to this situation.

Last edited:
As to the depression, no I don't see it ever happening again. I was on meds through medical school when my depression wasn't so severe. I ended up getting depressed when my doctor took me off meds around the time I developed mono. The second relapse was because of a drug interaction that created some problems for me. So no I don't see either happening again.

So as you can see, I definitely ended up getting screwed over by improper management of my condition, which is the reason I've switched between so many doctors. Kind of makes you want to work your butt off so things like this don't happen to other patients.

I haven't seen a recent post from OP. I would really love an update.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to get a residency spot, especially if he makes connections. A family friend went to the caribbean, failed the USMLE Step 1 12 times (or so I was told), passed the 13th time, was kicked out of SGU, went to Ross, kicked out, and graduated from AUC. 7 years later, someone became the owner of the hospital he now does his residency in. Nearing his 40s, he's happy in family medicine.

Yeah, it's not a great path, but I honestly thinking getting to know the right people is the only hope.

You can take step 1 a dozen times?

You can take step 1 a dozen times?
Yeah, I'm very sure that number was BS. I mean, who would be so dim to take it this many times? I didn't hear it from him directly, but the owner of the hospital he is doing his residency at. He probably was exaggerating.

OP, I didn't read every single post on here, but was your leave considered "medical leave"? I took medical leave as well for newly-diagnosed epilepsy (from a US MD school, which I returned to after my leave) and my dean told me that I was not required to tell residency programs what the actual medical condition was. Depression is a medical condition as well. I ended up being frank in my personal statement because I didn't mind people knowing, from what my dean told me, applicants could have grounds to sue based on discrimination if they use that against you. Now, this might be quite hard to prove, as they could say they rejected you for other reasons. Anyone could have a medical issue come up at anytime, including a relapse of a previous medical condition. Again I don't know all the legalities and I know you have a different situation, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Good luck with everything.

Wouldn't the OP be at the bottom of the list?
I have heard sometimes PDs (atleast in Canada) prefer to keep a residency spot vacant than to have a resident they feel is not competent enough.

I guess I should leave out all the extra fluff and get to the point of why my school ended up dismissing me. I'm sorry if I put in too much about depression because I think I was just using that as an excuse for myself. At the end of the day, I was dismissed because I failed Step 2 CK twice and my school wanted me to take Step 2 CK for the third time by a certain deadline that I didn't feel comfortable with. I would have been dismissed anyways if I failed for a third time. I was overly anxious about my two exam failures and did not sit for the exam by the deadline. This is what resulted in my dismissal from that med school. I think I can be honest and just say that. There were definitely things that got in the way that I mentioned. But this is what went wrong. I guess I can avoid the extra fluff. Since then, I took an intensive prep course and ended up realizing that the reason behind my failures was most likely due to test-taking skills. I've been taking practice NBME's and my scores have been >209, so I'm confident I will pass this time around. I guess at the end of the day, I don't have to end up using excuses like getting sick or depression or family trouble and instead just focus on what went wrong. Any suggestions on how I can tackle this issue?

^ I think really being honest about the situation is a great step in the right direction.