Depth of Destroyer Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emitpeels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. After reading a recent post I have decided to run through the destroyer bio section and take notes on what I have learned. My question is... will the DAT Bio section be similar to the destroyer bio section? I figured it wouldn't be, since I assumed that the "All are true " questions are just learning instruments. Any feedback would be great... getting nervous at the extreme detail!

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly understand the questions and answers in the prep books, you will be able to do well on the DAT. Destroyer is a good tool if you use it right. It is difficult to predict what questions you will see on the DAT, since people who write textbooks do not write the DAT questions. However, you can get Feralis notes or Cambells bio in addition to Destroyer to learn the material. If you know the major bio topics, you will be able to answer most of the questions on the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok this is how you use the destroyer; you keep a finger in the back of the book where the answers are and then you look at the questions. Try to solve one and then immediately go to the back to the answer choices. READ THE ENTIRE EXPLANATION TO THE QUESTIONS. I have heard that there are hidden direct questions in the back of the book. You guys know by now that questions from the dat appear on the destroyer. You gotta read those answer choices carefully!!

You will spend too much time trying to find questions that will be on your DAT and likely will not be able to find them. You are much better off understanding the material and making sure you answering questions and looking at all the answer choices, espescially the wrong ones. If you know the material DAT will not seem hard. Go through the Destroyer and CrackDAT. This should be enough for you to do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, this is what I do:

Step 1: Solve 40 Bio Destroyer Problems, marking my answers on an Excel spreadsheet. If I arrived at the answer by elimination/ am not sure/ would like to look at the question later, I leave a "-" in the cell immediately to the right of the answer.
Step 2: Go to the solutions and find out which ones I got right/wrong. I then mark answers I got right with a green fill, answers I got wrong with a red fill.
Step 3: Do what SmileDesignersDDS said and mark the Solutions page. Go through each question again, reading the solution for EACH ONE (regardless if you got it right or wrong!). I often try to solve the question a second time at this point. If I got it wrong the first time, I know that answer is eliminated and take another guess.
Step 4: Keep a white board with you and mark down any problems that you got right, but that you'd like to look at again. Often times, the Destroyer solutions diverge from the topic and so I like to mark those down so that I can reread the new information.
Step 5: Open up a Word document, and then go over the questions you missed plus the questions you selected. Type up anything you think you might need to know in the Word document, but make sure you do it in your own words. You probably won't look at these again (unless you are trying to solve another problem that's similar), so it's important that you write it in your own words so you can remember it.

I'm averaging a 70.5% my first run through, but I still mark down 20-23/40 of the problems that I go through for a "third review." I honestly think that is the best way to learn the Bio, followed by some note cards for things like hormones, digestive tract enzymes, etc.